Zeo shutting down: export your data!

I have a small Christmas present for some of us long time users of Zeo bedside.

The original firmware not only encoded the data, but also *encrypted *the data. If you have a ZEOSLEEP.DAT file that you created before the open firmware version 2.6.3O, it’s encrypted, and previously assumed to be unrecoverable.

Please note the difference between an encoded file, and an encrypted file. All 2.6.3O files are still encoded, but are no longer encrypted.

If you saved your old sleep data, we can now actually decrypt and recover your historic sleep data!

I worked with a couple of members of the original Zeo team who graciously agreed that it was better to allow us to recover our historic data. They prefer to remain nameless, but I am impressed by their integrity and appreciate their help.

This is a Java jar file. You need Java installed to use this. I’m working on a Win32 version and will post it when I get it working.

Here’s how to do it.

1. Download ZeoDecryptor.zip (29.7 KB), and unzip it to c:\Zeodecrypt.
    You can use any directory you like. You’ll have a “ZeoDataDecoder.jar” file there when done.
  2. Copy your encrypted ZEOSLEEP.DAT file to the same directory.
  3. Start menu, and type cmd to open a command window
  4. cd c:\Zeodecrypt
  5. Enter the command:
    java -cp ZeoDataDecoder.jar ZeoDataDecoder.Gost ZEOSLEEP.DAT decrypted.dat

You should then have the decrypted.dat file, which you can then decode with the viewers that other people have provided.

Please let me know if you have any trouble or it doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like