4 weeks of blood sugar tracking

I do think you’ll need to use a different method to get at this, if you want to. (But I appreciate how annoying it is when it’s hard to bleed! :confounded: I ended up being a bit brutal sometimes, since I had to remove the safety on the lancet… In retrospect I should have tried a lower gauge.) The freestyle was almost always lower than test strips for me, it’s a great tool for local data changes but just got much systemic bias for a global data attempt. :disappointed:

That was my conclusion, too (going deeper hurt more than it helped), but local stores don’t seem to carry lower-gauge lancets, and online they are sold in boxes of 100…

I’m about due for a check-up anyway, should include fasting glucose and A1c.

1 Like

Just had a look at the A1c values from lab tests done over the past few years, and there’s no trend or seasonal pattern of any kind (all values are well within the margin of error).

Here’s another “discovery” that turns out to be a well-known effect. This chart shows my responses to eating pizza in different situations; the highlighted series is eating pizza yesterday after having a drink (the two obviously bad responses are eating pizza while being immobilized in a meeting room).

2 Likes

I think this study requires more funding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :pizza::beer:

3 Likes

The A1c from my latest blood-testing extravaganza is unchanged from previous years, so the lower values are likely an artifact.

Did another two-week round earlier this month; here’s what I learned:

• Unlike oatmeal, microwaved oat bran appears to be an unproblematic breakfast for me.
  • Eating an entire batch of home-made palmiers for afternoon tea isn’t ideal.
  • Turns out Worcestershire sauce can contain quite a bit of sugar.

Here’s the data from a day I went skiing: Note the response to eating half a bar of chocolate while skiing, and then eating the exact same amount of chocolate again right afterwards, before driving home. Also note the blood sugar drop after taking a brief hot shower, which may or may not be a coincidence…

i use freestyle libre. i have over 1 year data as i am a type 2 diabetic. how are you tracking the activity to overlap with the BG levels? i am very curious.

The activity level is based on hourly step counts from Fitbit. I have a Jupyter Notebook I use to plot this data; you can download it from the bottom of this blog post.

1 Like

You can also log activity in the Libre app and it will show up in your exported data. If you’re doing more than basic exploratory analysis, you may need to interpolate the Libre data to estimate your BG at same time as the logged activity.

Thanks for the write up and for the notebook!

I have all my data in other places than you (glucose reading / notes in Spike-App and steps counts in Apple Health). Im going to see if I can plug it in and use your graphs. Ill share if I end up doing it.

1 Like