Lady Data

Hi -

Just joined the QS looking for good examples of how woman track physical/mental behaviors as related to their menstrual cycle. A cursory search has not shown any results.

So far, I have not been able to find a daily tracker that allows women to include what day of their cycle they are on - which should be a fairly easy to add as a dynamic data point based on gender upon registration. The only apps that track periods seem to be exclusively for that purpose. As if the only time to pay attention to the regular rise and fall of your hormone levels is when you are trying to (or not to) conceive.

It seems like a huge oversight if we are trying to quantify ourselves. If men were able to know when their testosterone levels were high/low I would think that would be an option in tracking apps along with heart rate, oxygen levels and calorie intake. Yet, woman always have a ballpark idea of where we are in our cycle, but with the exception of PMS, we don’t tend to tie other behaviors to it. I would like to be able to pinpoint the times when I am feeling energized, focused and happy because of my cycle…not just know when I feel like crap because of it.

Would love to hear if anyone out there has found/developed tools for this.

Thanks!

Don’t know if there are any apps that combine the two aspects, but are there any good apps for tracking menstrual cycles that let you export your data? And is there a standalone app that works well for mood tracking? If yes, you should be able to tie together the data yourself, or with a 3rd party data aggregation service.

When I was trying to get pregnant, I used a mobile app for tracking my menstrual cycle (obviously with the goal of pinpointing the best time to… you get it). It had a calendar, mood tracker, temperature input field, some visualisation options and an export function. Maybe you could use that as a starting point? I don’t remember the exact name, but a quick Google search should provide you with plenty of apps.

Fertility tracking may be the intended purpose of many of these apps, but every one I’ve played with has included mood, and there’s no reason it couldn’t be used specifically for that purpose. I think Fertility Friend is the most widely used one. It also allows you to enter custom data fields, should you want to track other stats against your cycle.

But I agree, it would be nice to have this as an option in an app not specifically focused on fertility.

Before coming in this forum i never heard about any app for calculating menstrual cycle or something like fertility tracking app !! is this really works?

Yes, it works. It takes a little bit of work and bodily awareness, but it works (for most women, anyways). You don’t even need an app - people do it with pencil and paper.

Basically, your basal body temperature is lower before ovulation and higher after. You take your temperature first thing every morning and put it in the app. The part of your cycle before ovulation can change based on stress, illness, and other factors, while the part after ovulation (called the luteal phase) generally stays pretty consistent from month to month. So if you know when you ovulated (based on temperature changes and other symptoms), you can have a pretty good idea of when to expect your period.

People use this for both obtaining and avoiding pregnancy, too.

I didn’t knew that these apps are there for tracking the women periods. I think this will really help the other women to stay alert about their monthly menstrual cycle, in case if periods have missed she would be alert that periods have missed on these months so she would recommend with gynecologist at that time so that further there are no complications.

I personally like Glow (iPhone and Android menstral cycle tracking app).

It includes things like mood, physical symptoms, stress level, alcohol consumption, sleep, and sex; in addition to the typical fertility measures like cervical mucus and position and basal body temperature.

Update: my new favorite menstration/fertility tracker is Clue. More categories for tracking than Glow has.

1 Like