What conclusions have you been able to draw?

Hey everyone !

I found this forum a couple weeks ago and I’m amazed that it even exists.

I see most that most of the topics are about the “How” of the Quantified Self. It is very important indeed, because most of the obstacles in the study of the Self are about finding reliable ways to measure subjective variables.
But to me it is only instrumental to the “Whys”.

So I’m wondering, what conclusions have you been able to draw from your experiments ? Any kind of input is welcome, as long as it something that you figured out with (absolute) certainty.

I think the general approach here is to look for new ideas and, in testing ideas, to change one’s confidence in ideas based on evidence. Gaining confidence or gaining doubt are valuable, even if neither gets close to (absolute) certainty. For a commonly (though far from universally) used philosophical orientation, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior_probability

1 Like

Have you watched any of the show & tell talks?

You always learn something, even if it’s not what you set out to learn :slight_smile:

See the What I Learned sections in my recent blood sugar or blood pressure projects for some examples.

Yes, I’ve been looking into the Show&Tell talks. There’s definitely some interesting insight there. But I’m often a bit disappointed though, when it comes to conclusions.

I just read your blood sugar project abstract - thank you for sharing. I like the way you keep it concise and grounded in reality.

So what changes did you make to your diet following the experiment ?
You mention overeating at diners as being problematic because of high sugar level during the night. What were the consequences ? Did it impair your perceived sleep quality ?
Also, did you notice a link between your subjective energy levels and your blood sugar ?

For starters, I could ditch some changes that had been recommended to me by a nutritionist, like replacing granola with oats and adding more protein to my breakfast, using bean pasta instead of regular pasta, or cutting back on my pastry consumption :slight_smile:

Not obviously. But given that the long-term consequences of frequent elevated blood sugar levels are well understood, that’s enough of an incentive!

Surprisingly, no. I always assumed that feeling hungry and weak meant my blood sugar is low, but that turned out to not be the case, at all.