What's Your Best QS Dystopian Nightmare?

Actual or imagined. I dreamed last night that I was in a college and murderous shootings were rampant. I had a oura ring that detected whether or not I was hyperaroused because I was in danger or relaxed and safe, and it turned on and off the safety on my handgun in response!!

2 Likes

this is a super interesting question–I haven’t had many nightmares of my own but there was the news recently that a man’s pacemaker data was used to implicate him in the arson of his home, and Emily Gorcenski has touched on some nightmare scenarios, for example in this talk:

Check out the book Super Sad True Love Story, by Gary Shteyngart. This book came out several years before shows like “Black Mirror” that features a dystopian mid-future, yet eerily similar to how many people are feeling about the world today…

Credit Poles display your financial worth as you hurry by, clutching your äppärät, a diabolical gadget that monitors your biochemistry while streaming torrents of acronym-infested babble and rating the sex appeal of everyone in sight. New Yorker Lenny Abramov, the stubbornly romantic son of flinty Russian Jewish immigrants, works for Post-Human Services, a life-extension venture. He is madly in love with young, hip, and unhappy Eunice Park, who is far more concerned about online shopping and her dysfunctional Korean immigrant family. As Lenny records his feelings in an actual diary, and Eunice confides in her best friend via e-mails, their personal worries are amplified by aggressively raunchy, reductive, and judgmental social media and dwarfed by the Rupture, America’s collapse into ineptness, chaos, and tyranny as China backs American currency, the war with Venezuela escalates, and poor people live in Central Park. All Lenny wants is to make Eunice happy, but everything undermines him, from his age––at 39 he’s considered decrepit—to his taboo passion for books. Full-tilt and fulminating satirist Shteyngart (Absurdistan, 2006) is mordant, gleeful, and embracive as he funnels today’s follies and atrocities into a devilishly hilarious, soul-shriveling, and all-too plausible vision of a ruthless and crass digital dystopia in which techno-addled humans are still humbled by love and death.