Whoop Strap Discount Code

We had some fascinating conversations this weekend at the QS2018 conference - absolutely loved being a part of the event! Lots of folks with whom we spoke were interested in the Whoop Strap - Jennifer and I both referenced it in several discussions. I received a discount code to share, and wanted to post it here. The code is for $30 off an initial 6-month subscription ($180). The six-month subscription includes the Whoop Strap, and access to all insights via the app. I’ve (disappointingly) found that there is no export available (yet) for the data Whoop collects - and - we are getting a lot from the app (web and mobile). Full disclosure - Whoop does track and reward me for any signups via this code. I’m sharing because it is at least a discount - I didn’t have one when I signed up. Here’s the code, for anyone who is interested: Sign up on Whoop.com and use Promo Code “thinkerdog”

2 Likes

Great meeting you & Thanks for sharing this code!
Export is a must have long-term obviously, but hopefully they’ll add it soon.

1 Like

Lack of data access except through the app subscription is a strong failure signal. The data accumulated in the Whoop system gains potential value for the user over time, which means the cost of company failure accumulates. We have years and years of experience seeing users hurt by designs like these, in which the basic ethic of access to our own data is put off until “later.” Just a word of warning…

5 Likes

I reached out to the Whoop folks shortly after they launched, asking about access to/export of user data and their argument was that the device samples at such a high frequency that the raw data dumps would be huge and unwieldily :thinking:. While I am impressed with the metrics it is collecting and some of the insights they distill for athletes and coaches, lack of data export has been a deal breaker for me.

2 Likes

I wonder if they could be convinced we’re totally fine with ~10MB (worst case!) of report data per day. I guess it’s true that 100 samples per second is unwieldy, but I’d expect most of us are more interested in the metrics on top of that (e.g. the heart rate per minute, not caring as much about whether the sensor detected a heartbeat each 1/100th of a second).

1 Like

I’ve just sent the email asking for an update on this request. Hoping to hear back - remaining positive.

The response from Whoop was expected - not ideal. They say the data feed is far too raw for use, including every heart beat, coded to the millisecond from the phone’s clock. The rep did tell me, though, that they were exploring the possibility of a data export - they haven’t yet developed anything for public use.

1 Like

I wrote a blog post, with a review after 2 months of using the Whoop.

I’m not sorry I tried it. But I don’t foresee it being around for long.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this review - I somehow missed it when you posted, it’s a very useful.

Looks like there’s a new version coming out- Whoop 3.0 and it looks cool but still no evidence of a data export API. There is an unofficial data scraping script on GitHub though (yay Internet). I haven’t tried it since I no longer have an active whoop account. I do miss the whoop strap (and the app) even though the Oura ring seems to be a good substitute and more consistent.

Valerie is right - WhoopStrap 3.0 is good - interesting new features - Bluetooth BLE, 5-day battery, heart rate broadcast (can be picked up by certain treadmills, rowers, bikes, etc). There is also a new live coach feature, which may be attractive to some. At the team level, there is more raw data and additional analytics available to coaches. Individual users still cannot access/own their own data. Still no love for n-of-1 individual scientists. In Whoop’s defense, they claim the volume of multiple-measurements-per-second data is prohibitively complex and “large” - though I suspect some in this community have resources and interest to address the challenge.

Btw - for me, the ability to attach the charger on top of the constantly-worn, wrist-worn unit is a huge plus. 24/7 data results when the device is never removed from the body for charging.

1 Like

Did you get a 3.0 @thinkerdog??

We did! Still big fans of the recording and reporting with Whoop. Hopefully more to come, as I’ve recently connected with their Elite Performance Team - will update the community with any shareable news.

1 Like

That was the feature of the original Basis B1 band that I really liked.