Zeo shutting down: export your data!

Does anyone here have a copy of the iTunes/AppStore “Zeo 1.9.2.ipa” they could make available? It’s the actual file that iTunes backs up after installing the Zeo.app on the phone. (In the “Mobile Applications” folder within either “iTunes Media” or “iTunes Music”.) I discovered my copy was corrupt after installing iOS7, and Apple is no longer allowing download of the Zeo.app from the AppStore, of course. So I seem to be out of luck, unless I can find some kind person with a copy.

(For those familiar with iOS IPA file structure, I unzipped my copy, ran codesign -vv on it, and found that only a single file was messed up, Default-Landscape.png. Technically, that one 489k file is all I need, although I’ll take whatever I can get.)

Would love to get back to monitoring my sleep. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Scott

I hope somebody can help Scott with his request. It occurs to me that perhaps we participants in this thread should create an index to useful Zeo bits out there on GitHub and possibly elsewhere…

Gary,

What I would love to see on top of that is programmers that are doing things with the device to allow us non coders to use it like we could before or a very easy way to export the info.

Hi Scott,

I think the problem is deeper than just a corrupted file. I opened my Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications folder and found Zeo 1.9.2.ipa. It has a creation and a modification date of Jun 17 2013 (probably when I downloaded it from the iTunes store. The file itself has a size of 17,911,959 bytes. Given my suspicion of how iTunes handles apps I also have a copy of the same file which has the identical creation/modified date of June 17 and is stored outside the iTunes folder.

I tried the app on my iPad2 with iOS 7.x and it crashes. I did have it working with iOS 6. It also appears that the iOS update removed/cleared the sqlite file I had put in there to test it (I do not have a mobile unit). I just played around with a mechanism to display my bedside data and I came away with the conclusion that it was too difficult to convert to display in the mobile app and that the result was inferior to just desktop processing of the data in excel.

The specific file you describe I located in the MyZeo.app contents in the Payload folder. That file is 489,858 bytes with a creation and modification date of November 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM. If yours is different, let me know how I can get a copy to you to test.

I am not familiar with the code sign terminal command to verify my version is not corrupt. What is the specific command line string you used to test the app?

Is the mobile device pairing with the app and is it still collecting data in the sqlite file? If so, then you can extract the data and process it on your desktop (discussed elsewhere in this thread).

Hi @OP_Engr,

Yes, that’s exactly the file I need MyZeo.app/Payload/Default-Landscape.png, and the correct file size, I think! If you’d be so kind as to email it to zeostuff (at) eosync.com, I’ll try it out. Mine is about half that size, because the .ipa file (which, as you know, is just a zip file) was partly corrupt, so it failed to unzip that particular file completely. I couldn’t get my corrupt version to install itself on the phone, because it chokes on the validation, so capturing data wasn’t possible.

(The tool I used, codesign, I’m pretty sure is part of Apple’s XCode development environment, only available on the Mac, although there might be equivalents on other platforms. I’ve done the odd iOS programming in the past – technically, I believe any current iOS developer could re-sign the app, even changing files, and personally install it, but I let my developer account expire.)

I’m not certain, but I think the Zeo.app should work, at least on the iPhone, as I previously had it running successfully on iOS 7 developer preview, and it worked fine. I hadn’t tried it on my iPad – although in Googling, I’ve seen others complain it crashed on the iPad under iOS7, as you experienced, so I’m hoping the issues are restricted to the iPad.

I’ll happily host the working Zeo.ipa, in case its useful to others, though, I don’t think it’ll work for anyone that hadn’t already had a version of it installed in the past.

Thanks so much to you, and the others that responded!
Scott

UPDATE:
Thanks! The file worked. I’m back in business.
Here’s a copy of Zeo 1.9.2.ipa for anyone similarly afflicted.

UPDATE Oct 13:
Oops. It turns out my iTunes account is associated with that IPA, so it’s largely useless to anyone else, unless, like me, they just need to mine its contents. I’ve removed the link until I sort out an alternative.

Hmm. Out of curiosity, what version of the Zeo do you, or most people have? The mobile Bluetooth version? And if so, Android or iOS? (I see the Android app is still in the Google Play store.) I haven’t researched this at all, but If Zeo used a simple bluetooth serial profile, it might not be too difficult to write a desktop app to download a night’s data in a format that can be visualized, or imported elsewhere.

I’m not sure what sort of Zeo audience is left, these days, or their collective interest.

[quote=“Scott, post:189, topic:561”][…] it might not be too difficult to write a desktop app to download a night’s data in a format that can be visualized, or imported elsewhere.
[/quote]

For Android, you can use the following CSV app to dump the data and send them to yourself via email, etc. APK here: com.myzeo.android.demos.data_to_csv.apk

It’s just a slightly modified version of the sample included in the Android API. If dumping the data manually is bothersome enough, someone could modify it to use a background service and send the file to a set address on a daily interval.

I can’t speak for anything related to iOS.

First post here, let me use it to thank this forum and this thread for the files. I scored my sleep manager at a Goodwill for a great discount, with the headband still in original packaging. Was worried that I bought a glorified alarm clock, but these tools will help me extract raw data out and get some real use out of it.

I have narcolepsy, so I am really curious to steam readings throughout an entire day to see what it looks like, as well as work to improve my normal sleep habits to maximize my daily energy.

Thanks again for providing these files, and I hope to be able to contribute my own data/programs/ideas etc. soon.

I have bought on eBay in September 2013 a brand new Zeo mobile Sleep Manager.
I have downloaded the app on my iPod and Ipad. The hardware seems to be working fine but I have no way to access the data since the site www.myzeo.com does not work anymore.
What should I do?
Is there an alternative to www.myzeo.com?
Could someone point me in the right direction?
Many thanks,
Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Start with this post on getting data from the mobile app on your iPod.

Then look through the other posts for more information on what to do with the sqlite file and selected data. Unfortunately there is currently not a plug in replacement for the myzeo website.

It appears that iOS7 causes the Zeo mobile app to crash my iPad 2. You may have better results with your iPod.

Good Luck

Omg, now it won’t even write anything to memory card. I’ve tried a couple of cards, and no, they’re not write protected -_- It’s easy to see why Zeo went out of business

Hi Cathy,

Try this. Erase the card on your Mac or PC. Move the card back to your Zeo Bedside. At this point I am assuming it is not giving error messages when the card is plugged in. Go through the Settings menu (Wrench/gear button) and erase the card using the Zeo Bedside. While you are in the settings menu also tell it you have a new headband (in case that is causing problems). Move the card back to your Mac or PC and confirm that it wrote a new Zeo folder and put a new file into that folder (ZEOSLEEP.DAT). That should confirm that it is capable of writing to the card.

If that works then can you provide more information on what you observe (eg display and clock work fine. Headband shows fully charged when on bedside unit. RF connection established when headband removed from unit. Brainwave icon shows up within 30 sec of putting on the headband, Settings shows revised firmware version, etc)

Good Luck

Yeah I’ve done all this. The first memory card was not showing “loading SD card” when I put it in, so I tried with the another card. No luck. Everything else is functioning as normal.

Hi Cathy,

So none of your cards show SD Loading when you plug them in?

It is possible the SD card socket is dirty or has failed on your unit. Have you been using it for a while and been pulling data regularly. (I don’t know how many insertions the SD connectors are rated for, but it should be in the hundreds). You could try cleaning the socket by blowing out the dust or a more aggressive approach (for example http://www.xsories.com/memory-card-slot-cleaning-kit.html) (or if you are brave http://addcast.blogspot.com/2007/07/diy-how-to-clean-your-cameras-smartcard.html) (note that I have not used these cleaning devices myself). Perhaps a camera store would have something for that purpose. Also cleaning will not address a failed connector, only a dirty one. A close visual on the SD connector may also give insight into the problem (look for obvious differences between pins).

Good luck

The second card I tried does show Sd card loading. But I follow all the steps and it doesn’t write anything to it. Even tried reformatting the card. Will try cleaning.

Hi,

i must have missed this but there is a web site that imports unencrypted Zeo Bedside data and allows you to display it. They are also doing some interesting stuff with overlaying heart rate data with Zeo sleep data! Here is some additional information on the site from Anne Wright. Apparently they also held a session at the last QS Conference on API to link into other data sites. They are joining forces with Fluxtream and should import Zeo data in the new site at some point in the future.

Once you have the decrypted .DAT files you can also upload and view it at http://bodytrack.org. Click on login link in upper left then register, click on the +Add link after log in, select Zeo, then click ‘Upload’.

After upload, there will be a ‘Graph’ link which will take you to the timeline. You can zoom the timeline around the mouse cursor by using scrollwheel/double finger drag within the time axis area, and pan by dragging sideways in that same area.

The sleep graph shows is the 30-second data. The timestamps are local time only, so you have to specify which timezone you were in each time you upload. It will use the timezone your browser is set to for display.

If you click the Add Channels button at the top, and open the Zeo device in the pane that appears on the left, you can also see other Zeo stats such as Total_Z or Time_in_Deep.
You can contact me on twitter as @annerwright for more info."

Enjoy

Does it do CSV exports of the data?

Hi gwern,

I did not find a way to export the data in CSV format, or any other format.

Anne may have more information on the capabilities of the site and how to access them.

Thank you

Hi

Sorry if I’ve missed this earlier in the thread, but there are so many to read through and so many ‘sub-threads’!

I managed to get hold of Zeo mobile through eBay and just bought a new stock of headbands from the US, (I’m in the UK), so keen to have a long term solution for recording my data.

I’m currently running the Zeo app on my iPad, and emailing the hypnogram to myself daily.

Since discovering that you can no longer get the app via the iTunes App Store, even if you’ve previously downloaded it and supposedly have it on your own computer, I have decided not to risk upgrading my iPad iOS in case I can’t get the app working again.

I have a couple of questions:

• if I have iPhones, (one old 3GS running iOS 6 and a new one running iOS7), is there any way to get the Zeo app onto them by copying files around and avoiding the iTunes App Store check? (If necessary, I’m happy to jailbreak the 3GS, but not the new one!)

• is the Android app still available? I can see it on the Google Play store but it tells me that my device, (an old Android tablet), isn’t compatible, so won’t let me even attempt to download it. Is there a compatibility list for Android devices? There used to be a page on that on the myzeo website, but it’s obviously gone and web archive doesn’t seem to have it either. I’m prepared to buy an old Android phone, if necessary, but need to know which to buy! Or is there somewhere else that I can get the Android app that won’t check against a compatibility list and I can get any Android device with bluetooth and wi-fi? Are there Android version compatibility issues???

Very much appreciate any advice!

Jane

Hi Janeyjane,

I agree with not upgrading your iPad OS. I lost the ability to run the mobile version with iOS7.

I have been using the iFunBox app on my Mac to view files on my iPad. It also has an install feature for iOS apps that I have not tried. I googled “Install IPA files without iTunes” and got many hits on different apps for Mac and PC that should get the Zeo mobile app on your iOS device. I also saw that many people had problems running the apps they had installed. There may also be problems if you try to sync through iTunes after adding the app. I am not sure how it will behave for you.

Please let us know if you try one of the approaches and how it works out.

Good Luck

Hi

My basic problem was that I didn’t understand what IPA files were, but now I’ve googled that, and looked for an app such as you suggested - SUCCESS!!

I actually used CopyTrans to back-up the app from my iPad to a .ipa file on my PC, (as iTunes had deleted it from my standard iTunes library backup). I then used CopyTrans Manager to transfer the ipa file onto my old iPhone 3GS. The 3GS is now synched with my headband and I managed to download last night’s data too and email it to myself :slight_smile: I even checked and my iPad is still synching OK with iTunes - some suggested it might be corrupted just by connecting it to CopyTrans.

I’m delighted - I have a way to use my headband and still free up my iPad for other things and I can now risk upgrading my iPad once I get to the position that I absoultely have to!

Thanks for your assistance!

Jane