Zeo shutting down: export your data!

Another potential future alternative is the (questionably named) Zizz:
http://intelclinic.com/

While the Beddit does other things than the Zeo does, like heart-rate, audio (snore), and motion tracking, it does not record your brain waves. The Zizz (potentialy) is the same thing as a Zeo plus LEDs combined in a sleeping mask.

Should the Zizz make it through kickstarting and then into actual production, then perhaps it will do even more than the Zeo. Once again a critical aspect will be if the tools to use it and the API will be opensource.

Cheers.

-M

Thanks Jay, good to hear that you’ve still got all the functinality as previously with the bedside model.
Would be useful if anyone can comment re the mobile as that’s what seems most available cheaply now.

I’ll do what I can, but it’s not a complete story…

I’ve bought a mobile since Zeo closed down and I think it’s down to which platform you want to run the App on. The app for the apple platforms is no longer available from iTunes, as it isn’t (certified as) compatible with iOS 7, so you will struggle to get hold of it. The Android app seems to be still available on Google Play. Once you have an app and compatible hardware, you can still pair your headband to your phone/tablet and store the data on them. Exporting your data is harder. There is built-in facility to email/tweet, which works without the zeo website, but you are only exporting a graphic representation. I also haven’t been through all 11 pages in detail to work out whether the android workarounds for exporting raw data from the bedside system will work with the android app and the mobile.

Jane

I was planning to use an ipad with the zeo but you’re right, the app’s not in itunes. Don’t have anything on android though it sounds like the android app is a bit of hassle at the best anyway.
When you say you’re ‘only exporting a graphic representation’, do you mean that you just export a picture of the app data rather than the raw data to analyse?
That’d cut down the usefulness a good deal.

Sounds like I might be better waiting for something to build on or replace Zeo

Hi Calton,

The app does not work on my iPad2 with iOS 7.

You can email the sqlite file with the 30 second sleep data to yourself from the iOS app or extract it directly using any of several apps (Mac OSX). I used iFunBox on my iMac to get to the data file. Then I opened the file with SQLite Database Browser 2.0 b1 on my iMac.

You can expect to wait many months before seeing new devices to replace the Zeo. I expect the Zizz to take at least a year to reach production. It does look interesting. I have no idea how open their architecture is to getting raw or minimally processed data out.

I am waiting to see how the Beddit works out. They should be shipping units in the next few weeks.

Good luck

Hi

Sorry, am I missing something - the only option I can see for emailing data is via the ‘share’ button on the sleep history page of the iOS app, which, in my case, only emails a .png visual representation of the data???

Or are there more options if you have a regisered zeo account? (I didn’t get the app until after the web page closed down so presumably can’t now create one).

Jane

Hi Jane,

Check one of the posts that describes getting a copy of the mobile data.

In that post they said:

"On the iPhone (I realize this may not help all smartphone users), click help->diagnostics->send diagnostic information, then delete customersupport@myzeo.com and type in your own email.

When you get your sqllite file, you can open it with (you guessed it) sql lite

I tried the process when my mobile app was working and did get a copy of the sqlite data file emailed to me. I was able to locate the sleep data, copy it into a text file, and then import into Excel for processing.

Hi

Thanks for that!! I have to admit, I’d given up reading the bits about data decoding after reading that the data was transferred on SD card, which obviously refers to the bedside model rather than the mobile version I have, but I obviously should have persevered! I will go back and read more closely!

I now have a sqllite file and will leave downloading sql lite for tomorrow, being 11:30pm in the UK :slight_smile:

Jane

Hi,

I’m a Master’s student in MIT, working on a sleep quality related project. Does anyone in Boston/Cambridge happen to have a Zeo unit that I can purchase/borrow (preferably a bedside unit and a headband sensor)?

Thanks,
Oren

Hi

I’ve now managed to read through all 11 pages. The Systems Engineer in me obsessively wants to structure the thread into topic areas, but I now feel I understand the limits of what is and might be possible with the Mobile.

I have the diagnostics sqllite file opened in SQL Lite Database Browser and can see all the fields discussed so will have to find time to try exporting it to Excel and playing with some graphing functions. I work with some Software Apprentices - maybe I can interest them in playing with the data, see how far we can get!

When I thought I wasn’t going to be able to get a Zeo, I bought a Jawbone UP, thinking it would be almost as good. Hmmmm. No comparison to the Zeo. For example, it doesn’t recognise the difference between REM and deep sleep, so lists it all as ‘Deep Sleep’. Also, as I’m running both the UP and Zeo in parallel, the Zeo typically records me waking 3 to 7 times per night, whereas the UP rarely records me waking anything more than twice. Anyway, one of the things I wanted to check is activity versus sleep, to see if there is any correlation. I’d really like to look at activity data from the UP versus sleep from the Zeo. As people have been talking about heart rate vs sleep, I just wondered, is anybody looking at activity/steps versus sleep combined from different devices? Or extracting data for localised processing from the UP, in general? (please feel free to point me at a better thread, if one already exists!).

Jane

Hi

Oh, and I meant to also say, as I was never enrolled on the zeo website, nor used the zeo personalised advice services, as I didn’t get my zeo until after they closed, can somebody advise what data/information could you only get via the website? (I want to know what I’ve missed :slight_smile: ). I know my GP says that % of sleep/total time in bed is used for clinical determination of insomnia, but what other figures might be useful if you wanted to present the data to a sleep expert clinician at some point down the line? Or are there good websites that discuss those issues that somebody could recommend? Those should hopeuflly be relatively simple to calcluate from the extracted data, even though not in the current Apps.

Jane

Jane, I don’t think you missed too much by not having access to the website. Most of the advice given to improve sleep was basic sleep hygiene techniques which can be found through Google. Their site was nicely done and one could observe personal trends in various aspects of sleep as well as comparisons to norm without spending a lot of time doing spread sheet work. However, my guess is the more analytically inclined bedside users exported the data and did their own spreadsheet/chart work, anyway.

Have a look at this thread and the included links for some ideas on tracking sleep: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68747&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p638020

In my opinion, the best way to determine the quality of your sleep is to have a professional polysomnogram done, and is probably warranted if you are suffering from unexplained excessive daytime sleepiness or fatigue. While the Zeo can provide some insight and is, I think, a great tracking tool, it can not tell you, for example, if you are suffering micro arousals or PLMD.

Jay

That is true and if your coders are up to a challenge there is more info to chew on on my Zeo discussion thread.

Hi

Thanks for the link, Jay.

Yeah, read plenty of the ‘sleep hygeine’ stuff before and have tried most of it and found it mostly unhelpful!

I periodically have really bad sleep, mainly because I have such an erratic work schedule, but my ‘average’ sleep has improved since I’ve been monitoring it. I think it’s the opposite of being pychosomatic!!

Since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure earlier in the year and bought a iPhone-driven blood pressure monitor, I decided that I should turn my body into my own science experiement rather than feeling like I was a guinea pig for the medical profession. I’m having great fun with it!

Jane

Mine, too!

The android app doesn’t appear to have a way to email the data for diagnostics. I’m guessing that method only works with iOS. However, it’s still possible to use adb from the android development kit to back up the data. Get the sdk from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and run ‘adb backup com.myzeo.android’ Then you can use the android backup extractor from http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbextractor/ to get the data out of the backup. You wind up with a zeo.db sqlite file.

Hi

Having fun with my data set. Over lunch at work, I’ve created some basic charts in excel to examine how time in each sleep phase and % sleep in each phase varies with day of the week and date. Next to see how that varies by time that I start sleeping.

I did notice that the diagnostics file is quite big - 7MB. Does anybody know if that is because of the database structure, so the size shouldn’t change much with number of days of data, or, given I had only 10 days of data in that set, that file is going to get enormous! As my only method for data transfer currently is email, I’d like to cut that file size down, if it’s the latter. Is there a method to delete all the stored data/reset the app? I can’t even see an obvious way to delete individual days of (unsynced) data, let alone the whole dataset! Otherwise, I guess it’s the apps that let you see the iPhone file structure and hope it doesn’t ‘break’ the app!

Have found out that one of the guys in our office runs a home automation app for remote temperature and power monitoring on a Raspberry Pi that might be easily modifiable to take data over bluetooth. I’ll keep you posted if that works out.

Jane

Hi Envi

If you’re still around, I’d be very interested in this spreadsheet. I just started producing my own today, over lunch, as I don’t have much spare time. Looks like you are far more advanced than me, so I’m all for reuse wherever possible!!

Jane

Hi zeoleth

Did you get anywhere with the Pi? I have one and would very much like to use it for data logging and processing from my Zeo mobile headband as the iOS app I use now is far from ideal!!

Jane

Hi Jane,

I am not sure why your sqlite file is that big. When I installed the app the initial database file (ZeoDataStore_v1.1.sqlite) was only 45 KB.

I added my own data (from my bedside Zeo) to the file and then pushed it back to my iPad and then was able to view the bedside data using the mobile app. 2 nights of sleep and the file size was still around 45 KB, but I did not populate all of the diagnostic fields only the ZZOSLEEPRECORD table.

Hi

Sorry, I should have been more specific, the whole email that my iPhone/iPad sends is 7MB, and, as you say, the data store file is only 1MB of that, but the iOS also sends an XML data representation - .plist - which is 6MB. Even the data strings for each message in the plist are very different to those in the data store, so I’m assuming I can’t decode it as simply as the data store. Hence, I probably don’t really need it, but the file size is huge.

Jane

Jane - thought you might enjoy this graphic: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85888&p=781664#p781664
One can argue the validity, but it is interesting. After reading a recent article on the impact of moon phases on sleep, I’d like to chart that, but I haven’t gotten around to it.
Jay