Zeo shutting down: export your data!

Polo, I don’t have a mobile unit, but I think the answer is yes you can still use it, but I don’t know the capability. I was hoping someone with a mobile unit would answer and let us know what they can still do with it.

I’ll bump this back up and maybe someone will see and fill us in.

Jay

Hi Polo,

I have a mobile and so far it still records and holds my data, but I have yet to be able to figure out how to access the data beyond what is on my phone. I just do not have the knowledge or skill to do it myself. I can see them and such, but getting the info into the right kind of program for using is beyond me. I just do not know how to use the stuff that is provided through this forum.

Hi,
Thank you for the answer,I will try to get one then!

Hello everyone. I have been lurking the last week while catching up on the many posts.

Nobody seems to have mentioned what can be done to make the contact of the Zeo headband with the forehead better. I initially had difficulty getting the “head” signal to light up on the bedside unit. The use of hand lotion was not successful but Avalon Organics Hand and Body Lotion worked well every time. Both unscented and lavender scents work well. The main ingredient is Aloe which seems to be conductive and water soluble. It is sold at my local food co-op. I have no interest in the company.

Using the aloe lotion I have not noticed any deterioration of Zeo results with the age of the electrodes but changed them on schedule anyway just to be safe. Now that it has been revealed that the headband impedance is measured along with the electrical signals it should be possible to quantify the quality of connection under different conditions. The new firmware was installed 10 days ago so I have 9 nights of data to look at. The headband impedance (HI) does not vary much during the night. The first and last readings can unusually high suggesting some difficulty with measuring the start and end. Most of the night is near the minimum reading. For the 9 nights available the minimum has a range of 124 to 131.

Does anybody else have any observations?

Hi Robert,

I have been using the same electrodes for over 6 months without any additives. My present impedance readings are around 129 (I don’t have the Zeo impedance numbers from a new headband since the data was encrypted (pre firmware update). Skin oils may also degrade the electrical connection.

My “Head” signal indicator shows up within 15 seconds of placing the headband on my head. I believe the delay from removing from the base station to display of the head symbol also shows up as zeros in the data prior to a specific sleep state result.

I don’t know how much impedance variation alters the sleep state results. I may try some experiments to see if there is a difference, before I goop up my ZEO electrodes.

DC resistance measurements on ZEO Bedside headband contacts to a metal plate with ~ 1 lb pressure applied:

• New 95 ohms, 91 ohms, and 42 ohms
  • Used (unk pedigree) 50 ohms, 70 ohms, and 50 ohms
  • Used (6 months, daily) 56 ohms, 64 ohms, and 66 ohms

Obviously the headband contact pressure in actual use is much less. Also the connection to the snap connector introduced significant variation (This points to a possible headband life extension of unsnapping and reconnecting the headband electronics module in addition to resetting the 3 month counter).

I found one DIY site for conductive aloe, but it appears that they are adding salt to the solution. I haven’t tried measuring the conductivity of aloe by itself to see if that is the critical ingredient. I have some Spectra360 electrode gel I use with my heart monitor straps that may find double action here as needed.

Some links to EEG electrodes:

I haven’t thoroughly reviewed the OpenEEG site, but it looks promising.

Hi Op Engr,
Thanks for the many observations and leads. It will take me a few days to comprehend them. Anyway here is a short note on my first reaction to your post.

When something is not quantified and not well isolated then personal biases can result in “magic” rituals. Maybe the Aloe lotion is such magic. The question can now be tested by quantitative tests. Last night I did not use and lotion but the headband may have absorbed some from previous nights. The Zeo system worked and resulted in a normal data file. The headband impedance low was about the same as the previous week but the high impedance was higher than seen before and there was a larger spread of values during the night. The high and low values are not adequate to describe what happened. A statistical analysis is needed. Something to do in the near future.

Hi Robert,
I looked up the ingredients for the Avalon Lavender Lotion. Avalon listed 40 different ingredients some of which are electrically conductive. It sounds like you have a winning solution.

I did not see any significant correlation (-0.12) between the measured headband impedance (10 min intervals) and the recorded display sleep state (min value from consecutive 5 min intervals was used). This comparison was one night only, and just playing around with the idea of how to measure the importance of the headband connection to sleep results.

Enjoy

This discussion about impedance is interesting. Here’s my 2 cents. My current head band has been in use nightly for more than 4 months. I’ve looked at the impedance over this time and I haven’t been able to determine any significant change. To compare the impedance values, I have simply taken the nightly none zero 10 minute values and averaged them to produce one value for the night. At the start of this periond, the average was 158, at the end it was 147. The JEB icon is still coming on quickly (10-15 sec) and I haven’t noticed any change in sleep data reported.
In the past, I have used the time it took for the JEB icon to come on (>3O sec. or so) along with an abnormally high number of reported wake ups as an indication to change the head band sensor pads. I have always gone beyond the 90 day count before changing, usually getting 120 to 150 nights before I thought it necessary.
Spot checks of some older data previous to this last 4 months indicates some nights with impedance values greater than 250, but I can’t, at this time, correlate those values with sensor age. Maybe going forward, a relationship between impedance and sensor performance can be established.

So I removed old data from my sd card, and I have firmware which should give decrypted data (2.6.3R) and have the ZeoDecoderViewer0.2a2Release.zip installed. But I just tried to open my .DAT file with the viewer, I’m still getting the message

No records found. ZEOSLEEP.DAT is not a valid, decrypted Zeo data file.

Is anyone else having this problem, or know how to fix it?

I mean I can write down all my sleep data but this requires me to do it every single day or I lose access. As for getting the graphs, I could write a Python program, but I’m kind of shit at programming so it’d take me a week to find time (nevermind the nights of data lost because of bugs) and I don’t really fancy leaving my laptop running every single night.

Cathy, after you updated the firmware, did you erase the card in the machine? If you didn’t, it wrote encrypted data to the card when you inserted it for the update and would produce the above response. See the steps in post #90.

You must erase the card after updating and then collect new data for the viewer to read.

Also, verify that the new firmware has been installed by pressing the settings button and then the “right” button 7 times. In your case it should read v 2.6.3R.

Hi guys,

I’ve had the Zeo for a few years and had not used it for quite some time. I just started using it again and was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to change the alarms on it and replace them with MP3s?

I’ve noticed as of late that the type of alarm that wakes me greatly impacts my mood for the remainder of the day. I really dislike the alarms that are preprogrammed and I’d like to replace them if possible so I can use the function that picks the best time to wake you depending on the phase you are in. Otherwise, I’m going to have to go back to using my phone.

Thanks

I updated the firmware months ago to be able to access the data with my serial cable. I recently read this forum and did all the steps- i.e. I checked it was the right version and then erased the card with the zeo after copying the old data off it.

Oh, it now works for last night’s data. I tried telling the zeo to erase the card and to read the data with that program, it didn’t work. Then I manually erased everything on the card with my pc, put it back in the zeo, and then back in the pc to read it and it worked. Bah.
So uh heads up if anyone else has this issue- your zeo might not actually erase data on your SD card when you tell it to.
Edit: I went through all of my old .dat files, and it turns out I can read most of the stuff (like 80%) between 22/2 when I updated the firmware in the first place, and 6/6. I’m guessing that’s when my memory stick started having issues. I changed to a new one in early Aug.

Saw a couple of mentions of Beddit, and thought I’d add that it has made it to an Indiegogo campaign (like Kickstarter) in case anyone is interested. I have no affiliation, and never used it, I just ran across it while trying to understand the Zeo debacle.

Any news on either of these acquisitions? (FWIW, I contacted the domain name’s contact email when I first saw the GoDaddy crap, inquiring about buying the domain name & at least putting up the static content since I had copies, but I never got any reply.) No news seems like bad news.

If it is useful to anyone, I just released the source of some Zeo related code I wrote. My headband no longer works, but maybe this will be useful to someone else.

There are two components in this GitHub repository. One is a reimplmentation of the SmartWake adaptive alarm feature for Android, because I never saw the feature work for me. The other is PHP code to display CSV sleep data in progress graph form. Example here: http://stephenklancher.com/misc/zeo/graph.php

1 Like

FYI, I have a Zeo Pro+ linked to an Ipad and IOS7 broke the Zeo app. I can still pull the data off the headband, and I can view the current sleep data, but I can no longer view the graph or any previous nights data. When I try to, the app crashes to the desktop.

Yep, I noticed that with my iPad the other day too. Attempting to view the graph crashes the app. I haven’t yet tested overnight, but the app on my iOS7 iPhone 4s doesn’t crash when viewing the graph.

Sorry, Dan. Not particularly useful info if you don’t have an iPhone.

Does anyone here have a copy of the iTunes/AppStore “Zeo 1.9.2.ipa” they could make available? It’s the actual file that iTunes backs up after installing the Zeo.app on the phone. (In the “Mobile Applications” folder within either “iTunes Media” or “iTunes Music”.) I discovered my copy was corrupt after installing iOS7, and Apple is no longer allowing download of the Zeo.app from the AppStore, of course. So I seem to be out of luck, unless I can find some kind person with a copy.

(For those familiar with iOS IPA file structure, I unzipped my copy, ran codesign -vv on it, and found that only a single file was messed up, Default-Landscape.png. Technically, that one 489k file is all I need, although I’ll take whatever I can get.)

Would love to get back to monitoring my sleep. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Scott

I hope somebody can help Scott with his request. It occurs to me that perhaps we participants in this thread should create an index to useful Zeo bits out there on GitHub and possibly elsewhere…

Gary,

What I would love to see on top of that is programmers that are doing things with the device to allow us non coders to use it like we could before or a very easy way to export the info.