Aligning behaviour with a dream future state using the Pennebaker Journaling Method

Preparation Phase

Baseline - Thursday 28/03/2024

Day four of habit and behaviour tracking.

Day one I recorded seven hours worth of data, the next two days recorded twenty hours worth of data. I’m getting used to it! The emotional toll so far has been very low. I think it’s important when tracking habits and time to not judge it.

I do have an unexpected problem. The habit tracker I’m using asks for me to choose between two different forms of tracking, either concurrent tracking where multiple habits can be recorded at once, or non-concurrent where it’s only a single use of time available to be tracked.

I lean more toward single-use and the implications for mindfulness feel immediate. How often do I spend my time doing ‘two things at once’ (in which case I’m really doing less than either)?

Plan update:

The original plan was to track for roughly a week or so while completing preparation for the experiment, then to begin the Pennebaker Method next week.

After having read more about the Pennebaker Method and finishing Andrew Huberman’s podcast episode on it, I’m going to extend the period of preparation for at least as long as it takes to read James W. Pennebaker’s book on the writing method.

Trauma is no joke.

Reprocessing it can cause people to have psychotic or depressive episodes and I already have a genetic disposition toward schizophrenia.

If you’re thinking about doing an experiment like this, take your time to set yourself up for success!