Bluetooth pulse oximeters

Here is sample :+1:
O2Ring_20210620223458.csv (325.6 KB)

2 Likes

Really interesting to see this. Itā€™s showing a value every 4 minutes. I assume this is not something that can be changed, and is an average across the 4 minutes interval. The range of values for HR is 40-114, with lots of values in the 40 range. Does that seem realistic to you based on your other measures? If this data is more or less accurate I think it could be very useful to me, as my most bothersome incidents of arrhythmias predictably produce SpO2 values of 95-96 as measured by my Choice MMD device. I would very much like to have something continuous for this.

Hi all, have any of you found a BLE pulse oximeter that has an API/SDK that can be used for real-time data access? I tried the Garmin vivosmart 4, but was not able to get real-time data from this.

try the wellue devices

Itā€™s showing a value every 4 minutes

Every 4 seconds. Just check it again :slight_smile:

The range of values for HR is 40-114, with lots of values in the 40 range

Only 9 values of HR = 40. So only 9 of 4 secs periods for a night with about 9 hours * 3600 secs / 4 = 8100 periods with 4 secs lenght and only 9 was about 40. I have Oura ring also, correlation coefficient for 5 min average HR from SPO2 Wellue ring vs Oura ring is r=0.89, 95% CI [0.82,0.92] n=2870 periods (each period is 5 min avg HR). But iā€™m not sure how accurate 4 sec measurement, because dont have device with resolution less than 1 minute to compare. Also my nightly RHR in Oura ring in range of 42-47.

1 Like

Iā€™ve compared data from Garmin Vivosmart 4 and it doesnt correlate with Wellue finger oximeter. Fitbit also (variations and nightly average). I dont think there is accurate device with accurate SPO2 measured at wristā€¦ Wellue devices looks good, there is my another post about Garmin / Wellue / Oura / Fitbit

Minutes, seconds, whatā€™s the big deal? :grinning:
Silly mistake on my part, now it makes sense. The SPO2 ring looks like it could be just what I need.

Thanks for the reply. Do the wellue BLE pulse oximeters have a documented API or SDK? Thatā€™s one of my biggest concerns currently, since there are so many pulse oximeters available but I canā€™t find any that have an API for SpO2 data access.

Thanks for the reply. Currently, Iā€™m not too concerned about extreme accuracy. Iā€™m more interested in accessing the SpO2 data via BLE from the pulse ox. Do you have any recommendations for devices that can do this?

Can you say more about your API requirements? If you are looking for API or SDK access directly from the device, I have not seen anything like this. As far as I can tell from the documentation, the Wellue stores as many as 4 sessions of up to 10 hours, and preserves the data in the event of power loss. The data then has to be accessed via export from the app. (@Max_Eastwood can correct me if this is wrong.)

I think API/SDK data access to SP02 from a device is a good aspiration, but may have technical challenges. I know itā€™s possible from some chest strap HR monitors, but I havenā€™t seen any finger device that does this; all of them go through an app. Unfortunately, API/SDK access through the app, this is likely to conflict with the current business model of most wearables companies, with the exception of the Open Source makers. What Iā€™ve learned from lots of discussions is that maintaining an API/SDK is expensive, and though some have tried the platform model it hasnā€™t been easy to succeed with this approach.

Glad to hear from somebody who knows better if this analysis is off base.

Thanks for replying. I donā€™t have any specific API requirements currently. My broad goal, at the moment, is to successfully get real-time SpO2 data from a pulse oximeter. Eventually, I want it to be on an app. So far, Iā€™ve tried the Garmin vivosmart 4 watch which doesnā€™t seem to have an easily accessible API/SDK, but only export options available.

Thatā€™s why I wanted to ask here to see if anyone has had success with getting real-time data from pulse oximeters (whether thatā€™s through an API, SDK, reverse-engineering, etc).

Itā€™s a good question. I predict that there is no commercial solution currently available for this, but I would be glad to be proven wrong. Iā€™m going to tweet this out and see if anybody knows. (@QuantifiedBob have you ever seen this?)

Check out Nonin - they make higher-end pulse oximeters and they have a few bluetooth-enabled models. I researched them a few years back and last I checked you would need to order a ā€œdeveloper kitā€ which will give you access to their bluetooth SDK. http://www.nonin.com/Finger-Pulse-Oximeter . There are a number of Github repos as well if you are looking for code samples.

Thanks @QuantifiedBob! I actually did look into Nonin 3150, but it turns out their BLE models is around 900 dollars which is way out of my budget. It seems like a lot of the GitHub repos are a few years old, so not sure if I can still use them.

Meanwhile, do you know of any other pulse oximeters that have an API/SDK? I was looking into the Wellue O2 ring, but not sure if they it either.

My go-to pulse ox is the Masimo MightySat ($299 USD but they frequently have a sale). Bluetooth-based so can record sessions via their app (I use this with certain types of training) and then export as .csv

I havenā€™t looked into public SDKs much, but it seems like some developers have been able to build apps that can read in data via Bluetooth, i.e., GitHub - weliem/blessed-android: BLESSED, a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) library for Android

Hope that helps!

The MightySat seems like a pretty incredible device. It not only tracks spo2 very accurately but also Pulse and Respiration rate (also very accurate) (respiration rate only when you buy the more expensive model).

The one which can measure all of that costs about 450ā‚¬ and Iā€™m thinking about buying it to get the most accurate data while Iā€™m sleeping and track my sleep apnea.

The only thing missing is an integration to the ā€œSleep as Androidā€ app.

Couldnā€™t find an english one for the most recent models which can also track respiration rate but this table shows the difference between the specific models.

One additional benefit of these devices is that the battery is replacable. Not just that but its standard AA batteries. Meaning you can just buy new batteries on you local store. So this device might last you for a lifetime lol itā€™s just too good to be true.

There is so many different consumer pulse oximeters out there, itā€™s really hard to find out which ones are actually legit. For heart rate and sleep stage tracking on wearables we have our hero ā€œThe Quantified Scientistā€ but he doesnā€™t really do much for spo2 devices other than going onto a plane and looking if his oxygen levels went down (no offense to him).

The Mightysat actually has scientific tests which prove its validity. So if I get the Mightysat, I might actually also get some cheap devices from Braun, Pulox, Medisana and Wellue just to see which ones are legit/accurate and which ones are not.