EmWave2 Heart Rate Variability Monitor

I’m really interested in what you learn from this. Will pay close attention1

if you have real time RR data feed from any device, the exercise to increase HRV is really simple and easy to learn, even within minutes.
see short video here http://youtu.be/uLWV-ze2MTY

(http://op-innovations.com/en/node/145 4. Learn how to synchronize between your brain and your heart in GetStart: BioFeedback video tutorial, or How to monitor coherence states and breathing exercise using ECG/HRV? | BioShare.info)

Hi FuChieh Hsu,

I have realtime data, but it is raw RR numbers, not a graph. Even so I followed the approach of inhaling when I noticed RR starting to drop and exhaling when RR started to rise. I captured my heart within about a min. The result was a doubling of HRV based on the Poincare plot SD1 and SD2 results using RR feedback. Also my Low Frequency power went from 40% to 90% (Kubios analysis) using RR feedback. My results were comparing the HRV using just relaxation breathing against RR feedback. Both measurements were sitting. I need more experiments to determine the benefit of doing this technique. By the way I did the RR approach first so this capture effect seems to extinguish very quickly. I also don’t know how far you can pull the natural heart rhythm using breathing at a different rate.

I also looked at the difference between lying down, sitting, and standing for taking the measurements. Standing gave the lowest SD1 result (visually good correlation to position). The SD2 was not a good an indicator of position. Exercise tended to lower both my SD1 and SD2 numbers in the short term (limited sample size).

Thank you

hi, my humble opinion is that Poincare plot SD1, SD2 are traditional “medical” measures (sudden variability capacity from arousal or physical exertion) for HRV. They are not necessarily good indicators for heart-brain coherence, which is supposed to be very deep and very smooth (i.e. no jerking changes), and you can develop very slow, very deep breathing cycles effortlessly.
you can combine bio-feedback breathing with deep diaphragmatic breathing (inhaling: contracting diaphram; exhaling: relaxing diaphram) for even deeper results.
see the enclosed chart, or from the link How to monitor coherence states and breathing exercise using ECG/HRV? | BioShare.info

cheers,

Hi FuChieh Hsu,

Thank you for the insight. I agree SD1 and SD2 are inadequate standalone measures.
My RR plot did smooth out with the synchronized breathing. It went from a somewhat erratic display to almost a sinusoidal display. This was also apparent in the frequency domain with a narrow peak instead of a spread out spectrum.
I will experiment more with the breathing as you described to enhance the results.

Were the results you attached solely from breathing, or was there an element of biofeedback on the RR variation (such as using an emwave system)?

Thank you,

TrueSense Kit is used for my life-logging and bio-feedback,
info here [attachment=77]
link http://op-innovations.com/en/products
online store yd222云顶线路检测中心-(中国)集团公司

for any new practice routine, bio-feedback is highly valuable to visualize then establish intuitive “feeling” of how our internal connection and interaction works. After plenty of practices, we don’t really need it every time, just occasionally hooking up to monitor the progress or to verify the “sync” is still good.
for the chart shown, only the mid-section (diaphragmatic breathing) need bio-feedback initially to build up the rhythm, the last section (meditation) is to record how much the state attained can be sustained without effort.

cheers,

I recently purchased an Inner Balance monitor to measure HRV. The device uses an optical measurement of the blood pulse in your earlobe. The iOS application creates an SQLite data base that is available in the iTunes applications shared files location. I have attached a listing of the database fields. I have not decoded the fields. Some of the data is in 5 second increments.

It looks like it will take a while to achieve consistent coherence (much longer than my impression of working directly with electrical pulse measurements from a chest strap). The device is very sensitive to motion (as noted in https://forum.quantifiedself.com/thread-heart-rate-monitor-recommendations-for-24-7-continuous-monitoring-and-logging?pid=3240#pid3240, post #14). 

Enjoy

I am thinking of purchasing emWave2.

So it is a portable device that can capture live data and transfer the data to the desktop software that came with to analyze results. Right ?

I do a lot of Tai Chi. I am wondering if this give some quantified information about my Tai Chi and Meditation practice and can make more improvements.

If Dave Asprey is still active in this forum, can you address the question please.

Hey there SootedNinjas!

You are better off with a Polar H7 combined with iphone HRVSense app because the emwave doesn’t work when you’re moving.

I see. I was making the assumption that the ear clips will make it work.
But emwave2 can be detach from the computer while being used and data “uploaded” later for analysis as opposed to emwave.

Does the ear clip readings becomes inaccurate while it is moving even slowly ?

Why did they designed a different software for this ? It seems like they could consildated the functionality into one product ?