Home potassium testing?

Thank you Dr. Dave for answering this question. It’s disappointing this won’t be accessible any time soon, but it’s good to know.

A bit of news from ALiveCor: https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/11/alivecor-gets-a-green-light-from-fda-to-screen-for-dangerously-high-potassium-levels-in-the-blood/

So maybe it will be seen sooner than expected.

2 Likes

Nov 18th 2018

If you are still looking for a home testing kit for potassium I have just found one called “Vitastiq”. It is available at Harvey Norman shops in Australia. It measures 26 different vitamins and minerals in your system. It does not give actual readings but measures whether you are low, normal or high and it actually works. Very simple to use through an app on your phone.

1 Like

Many thanks to Gary, Dr. Priya, and Dr. Albert for the updates. Sounds like the Laqua Twin is still the best option on the market at the moment, which is valuable to know.

I just found this post regarding the home testing of Potassium and Phosphorus for people with impaired renal conditions, however most of the focus is on Potassium. I am personally struggling with Phosphorus; this also seems to be significant to the other patients in my dialysis clinic. Aside from getting our monthly labs that show us where are phosphorus is at, it would be very helpful to be able to take periodic assessments through out the month to stay within proper range. I’ve noticed the pocket meters from LaquaTwin, which look great, however I did not see one specific to Phosphorus or Phosphate measurements. However, I did notice some other potential options browsing around on Amazon. I found a phosphorus meter by Hanna Instruments, it is normally used for check water for aquariums. Although its range is from 0-2.5 ppm. Does anyone know if there is an average ppm of phosphorus in human saliva? I cannot find anything regarding this value. One other thing is that there are also phosphorus test strips for testing water; the range on these vary and are higher. My thought then is I could compare the home test with my monthly serum tests to hopefully draw out a correlation that would be sufficient enuff with the home kit to tell if I am high phosphorus and need to actively make firther adjustments to my diet.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this question about phosphorus. This is another example of a blood metric that ought to be available at higher resolution using test methods appropriate for home use, but my guess would be that your quest is likely to be frustrating, unless you think of it as basic research more than as a hunt for a useful tool available today. Your idea to validating against your monthly serum tests seems excellent, if you can tolerate what’s likely to be a fairly long process of tinkering, with some likelihood that the result will be learning the industrial test solutions won’t do. Will you keep us informed if you decide to take this route? We’ll try to help if we can.
-Gary

1 Like

Any new information on home testing for potassium levels? My husband is constantly dealing with low potassium due to diuretics and other health issues with his kidneys and heart. Just hard to believe there’s nothing yet, similar to a glucometer?? Any news? Thanks in advance!

Hi @sannajane - I’ve moved your post to our existing topic in this area. I also hope there are new developments, and posting it hear gives us the best chance of hearing if there are. I agree with you that it’s frustrating not to have a better assay, especially since it seems technically feasible. I hope we hear some good news.

If I were more optimistic about translation of advances in sensor technology into useful tools for everyday science I’d hail this as progress. But as we all know…

Lead author is Hnin Yin Yin Nyein here in Berkeley. Maybe there are a few sensors available for a PLR!

1 Like

Has anyone found a way to do home tests? I have gitelman’s syndrome and this year has been far worse than any other year. I’ve been in the hospital 2 times because of low potassium and one time I could’ve avoided it, had I known what my level was at.
Thanks!

I remain keenly interested but have not yet found a solution.

It’s not available yet, but this device looks really promising https://www.kaliumhealth.com/technology

It’s like a diabetes meter for potassium. They got a grant to work on development in 2019 and are working with Cambridge.

I have Hyper KPP and would love to have an alternative to the Horiba. I’m probably going to end up shelling out to buy a Horiba for now, it looks like the best option out there. Unless anyone has any news on new developments?

We are a few of us using this device and it works.
One person I know tested in the same time her blood was drawn and ending up having a difference of .1 between blood and saliva with the Laqua Twin.

Hello, I’ve recently been diagnosed with hyperaldosteronism and have to be at the lab almost everyday for blood work. We are adjusting meds but I can see the dire need for potassium monitoring at home. Is there a product available to test at home bc I’m ending up in ER way to often with irregular heart rhythms?
Thanks Julie

Any update on the potassium testing?