iPhone vs. Dedicated Devices

Hi all,

I’m new to QS and still trying to figure everything out. I have an iPhone 5s and I’m trying to determine if between the iPhone and the available apps I can replicate the data collection I would get out a dedicated device like a Fitbit. Is a dedicated device ultimately the best solution?

Thanks!

It depends on how disciplined you are. The iPhone 5S M7 co-processor is pretty accurate when it comes to detecting motion. But you have to make sure that you carry your phone with you all the time. I have a Fitbit I just clip on every morning and then do not have to worry about it. On the other hand my phone usually rests on the desk for most of my days.

Hi Tafkas.

Thanks for your reply. My case is a combination phone case / wallet so my phone stays with me when I’m walking around. You have, however, identified the primary draw of the Fitbit (and other dedicated devices) to me. You just put it on your wrist or drop it your pocket and you don’t have to think about it for the rest of the day.

I think with the iPhone 5S you could just install the Fitbit app and it would act as a Fitbit. You would just have to keep the iPhone with you all the time.

Thank you Tafkas and Lizajenifer for your replies. I’m going to give it a go with just the iPhone for now and see how things go. I appreciate your help and input.

I’ve also heard good things about Pedometer++ and the developer seems like a nice person: Interesting Lessons from Building a Pedometer