[split] Ecuador's fountain of youth

[quote=“IanC, post:1, topic:87”]
Following on from my original intention of living a long time by self-quantifying, this became more focused when I was diagnosed with terminal cancer with a ‘dead-by-date’ a year later ('Oct. '08).

…[/quote]

Ian, I was pretty much born with bleeding ulsers and had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis by the time I was 14 so as you can imagine I have had a keen interest in nutritional and alternative forms of medicine.

I have formed the impression that the last years of our lives can be vastly different than our expectations are at this time. In the province of Loja Ecuador, there are several villages where a high percentage of people live to be well over one hundred years old These people are often still capable of working in the fields. A Dr. Joel Wallach commented that in the several areas on earth where this occurs the people are getting 50 to 70 trace minerals in their diet or in the water. In Loja, it is in the water. They take regular dips in hot and cold mineral springs that are reddish with the multitude of trace minerals.

I first heard about the tremendous longevity of the people of Loja either on a documentary, (I think either "Here Come The '70’s or W5), but my wife is from Ecuador and she has verified what I had heard about the people of this area.

Dr. Joel Wallach was a veterinarian previous to his becoming a physician. He has stated that we knew how to prevent cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes in pigs since the 1930’s. We add forty or more trace minerals to pig feed. It was found back in the '30’s that farmers could not produce cheap pork if they were calling the vet often, so a serious incentive existed to prevent diseases in pigs…which are amazing close to us humans physiologically!

This article tends to verify Dr. Wallach’s conclusions at least to some degree:

//In his book, “The Secret to a Youthful Long Life”, Dr. Walker reported that his research showed the mineral rich water that the Vilcabambans drank was key to their long lives and health. Laboratory analysis of the Vilcabamba water determined that the unique balance of enriched colloidal minerals in the local drinking water was ideal for promoting optimum human health. [1]

Medical researchers have confirmed that the retinas of 100 year-old residents are often comparable with those of 45 year-old city-dwellers. [2] Others suggest that the climate in the region, which is reasonably steady without much variation, or the mineral content of its drinking water is particularly healthful and explains the advanced age of its inhabitants.//

I must admit that I would write much of what I stated here differently now that I have done more research but you might enjoy this thread on one of my own groups anyway despite the “flies in the ointment.”

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=25829456480&topic=13416
Topic: People in Loja, Ecuador live to be 120 and can still work in the fields!

Thanks for sharing Dennis.

I’m not sure this is directly relevant to my situation just now tho’.

Alas, as the Wikipedia entry says, these claims are unproven - and appear to be being lost. There are so many variables, it would be hard to know which were critical - or all of them.

Ian

[quote=“Dennis_Tate, post:1, topic:222”]

[quote=“IanC, post:2, topic:222”]
Thanks for sharing Dennis.

I’m not sure this is directly relevant to my situation just now tho’.

Alas, as the Wikipedia entry says, these claims are unproven - and appear to be being lost. There are so many variables, it would be hard to know which were critical - or all of them.

Ian[/quote]

Thank you Ian. I also would highly recommend doing some research on MSM. A friend of mine got me on the stuff back in 1999 and from what I have experienced it seems to do exactly what the three doctors who wrote The Miracle of MSM stated that it would. They were absolutely correct that the side effects of going through a phase of detoxification can be uncomfortable and it does seem that drinking extra water is one of the best ways to minimize the negative side effects.

One of the advantages to this stuff is that it is extremely inexpensive. I can buy a bottle of 120 capsules at Walmart for about $9.

This webpage as far as I can see seems to be a summary of the book they wrote.

http://www.msm-info.com/