The Learn Drive

Hi Piotr, I’m glad we are continuing the discussion here as well as in email!

Wikipedia tells me there are approximately 2 billion children in the world. Can I assert that most of them want to be educated? If you grant me this, I’ll argue that the modern institution of public, compulsory school is humankind’s first attempt serve this desire universally. Your “We can now see an incredible range of options available to a modern kid” would be more correct if written: “We can now imagine an incredible range of options that could be made available to a modern kid.” Most of these options are not in fact available. We’re aligned on hoping that they could be made available. And the people most interested in getting from where we are now, to where we could be going, are associated with schools and education in its various flavors. (Where else would you expect to find them?) These are your friends and allies. I read your position as “let’s cancel schools and let the chips fall where they may.” That’s not really freedom for children. Many students have noticed in the past months how much stronger certain constraints and limits become when schools are cancelled. Historically, in the US and England (which I know best) the era before free compulsory school was characterized by a much lower level of education for most children, and merciless exploitation of poor children as laborers.