Tracking body temperature

Please help me graph the logic and interactions of all elements in this thread by mentioning mistakes. I have writen the relations like an outline / tree structure to see this particular subgraph easily. In the graph all items connect to their subdivisions and point to them. The exception is actual products which point in reverse.

temperature
	environment temperature
	core temperature
	peripheral temperature
	skin temperature
		core temperature

vaginal temperature
  continous 
	kindara
		priya unreleased
body temperature, core temperature, oral temperature
	kinsa
		export to file
		QuickCare 30
		Smart Ear 40
	Vicks SmartTemp 30
		export to file
  continous
	Raiing 
		export to ggl apl
		iThermonitor unreleased
		Fridababy,FeverFrida 60 FDA
	mbient labs 100
		export to file
skin temperature  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_temperature
	withings thermo 100
		export to withings
peripheral temperature, finger temperature
  continous
	oura 300
environment temperature
  continous 
	mbient labs 100
		export to file

Kinsa does non-continuous (note the spelling :nerd:) readings of oral, armpit and rectal temperature, which all reflect core temperature to some extent (the gold standard for core temperature appears to be blood temperature). So, looks fine to me?

raiing vicks and kinsa all hav eapps that export to something like csv? or do some of them export directly? Or do some of them export through gglf and aplh?

Kinsa exports to “something like csv”, if we are generous :grin:

Any export to file through any rout like an app then googlefit then commonly readable file?

could you be specific pleaseeee

High heat reduces cognitive function. With higher indoor temperatures, sleep was more disrupted and GSR and HR both increased.

We found that individuals in non-AC buildings experienced reductions in cognitive function, as assessed by working memory and selective attention/processing speed, ranging from 4.1% to 13.4% relative to baseline and with respect to the AC group. ->

22C ideal

I’d highly recommend a continuous temperature sensor – either Oura or ibuttons. Mouth temperature has low signal to noise, and is a total pain to take each day first thing…

Based on your personal experience? Taken at the same time every morning, I’ve had very consistent readings so far, and no unexplained deviations of more than 0.1°C…

I’m a bit dubious about skin temperature, seems like it would be more of a measure for how good your circulation is? :grin:

Got 6 months of daily readings now; here are the weekly median values (along with the min and max range):

6 months of body temperature readings

• There are fewer low readings since early October (no more backpacking trips)
  • The 0.1°C drop end of November could be a seasonal pattern, but it’s too early to tell…
1 Like

Do you have data on caloric intake during that time?

I don’t track caloric intake, but it’s been pretty consistent since at least March. Here is my body weight and composition over the same period of time (weekly avg/min/max):

body weight
body composition

Also, weekly step counts:

daily-steps

Doesn’t look like any of this is correlated with my body temperature?

I’m definitely curious how much fasting for a day or so reduces my body temperature, but that’s not something I’m likely to test this week :grin:

3 Likes

Hi, after reading your posts i’ve ordered kinsa and using it already for 2 months. Did you have any issues with losing some readings? In my case some readings which i did when my phone wasnt around arent synced into app.
Also i’ve used ibuttons to visualize my circadian patterns and they worked really good. The only problem is discomfort of wearing them 24/7…

(X axis - day time in 24h format, ambient light was tracked by Mbient Lab MMR, and armpit temperature - ibutton, data collection lasted 14 days with 1 minute resolution for temp/light)
Any advice on devices with continuously tracking of body temp (or proxy) 24/7 and comfortable to wear?

P.S. I’m already using fitbit charge 4 and oura (but there is no access to raw temperature data) and have used withings thermo which have not enough accuracy. One of my goals is to catch diseases at early stages and make sure my circadian rhythm have enough amplitude between day & night.

1 Like

I did have a few “lost” readings that had to be entered manually (especially after taking readings while offline), but these issues appear to have been ironed out in more recent versions of their Android app. Sometimes I still need to open the app to get new readings to transfer, but I haven’t lost any readings in months…

Looks like I’ve settled in on my summer body temperature (36.9°C); let’s see if that holds until end of November, like last year…

temperature

1 Like

I’ve did some experiments with iButton [1] and Fitbit Charge 4 [2] for tracking body temperature circadian patterns, may be you will be interested.

2 Likes

Eric and Max-- I’ve been away from the forum for a long time but have just seen the post of you comparing iButton and thermometer data! This is so cool! Did you ever by chance correlate your oral temperature with the same time-stamp of your axial temperature (the correlation is likely low – but a lot of folks (including myself :slight_smile: )are interested in understanding the meaning of continuous versus once per day body temperature measurements, and in confronting the concept that “core” temperature comes from the mouth. If you’re still doing temperature tracking, the options are still a challenge as far as I know. Whoop has a temperature sensor - i do not know if the API grants access to the continuous data stream. I believe some of the better garmins (fenix series maybe?) do as well, but same I’m not sure on the data stream [ You might want to check out physioQ if this is of interest]. Various sensors marketed for fertility tracking (e.g., ava bracelet) do the same, but still no known dice on if you can get a quality full res. data download. Outside making friends/organizing research projects with the individual companies, it seems like ibuttons are still the research standard. Hopefully someone will reply to this post and correct me :D.

Finally had to replace the coin cell battery on my Kinsa thermometer; the battery had lasted 1 year and 9 months with 2-3 readings per day!

You can use this device:

It has two modes:

• Continuous tracking
  • Tracking during activities with a HR monitor paired

Kind Regards,
Bart

1 Like

https://wiki.openhumans.org/wiki/Temperature