Zeo shutting down: export your data!

Hi Jane,

I am not sure why your sqlite file is that big. When I installed the app the initial database file (ZeoDataStore_v1.1.sqlite) was only 45 KB.

I added my own data (from my bedside Zeo) to the file and then pushed it back to my iPad and then was able to view the bedside data using the mobile app. 2 nights of sleep and the file size was still around 45 KB, but I did not populate all of the diagnostic fields only the ZZOSLEEPRECORD table.

Hi

Sorry, I should have been more specific, the whole email that my iPhone/iPad sends is 7MB, and, as you say, the data store file is only 1MB of that, but the iOS also sends an XML data representation - .plist - which is 6MB. Even the data strings for each message in the plist are very different to those in the data store, so I’m assuming I can’t decode it as simply as the data store. Hence, I probably don’t really need it, but the file size is huge.

Jane

Jane - thought you might enjoy this graphic: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85888&p=781664#p781664
One can argue the validity, but it is interesting. After reading a recent article on the impact of moon phases on sleep, I’d like to chart that, but I haven’t gotten around to it.
Jay

Hi Jay

That is very interesting indeed.

For those that haven’t looked, it’s data showing a correlation between % deep sleep versus temperature.

I absolutely noticed a correlation between temperature and how I feel that I’ve slept - I tend to keep my bedroom very cool as a result. And not wanting to alienate half the population, but at certain points in the menstrual cycle, hormonal levels affects women’s ability to regulate their temperature and, personally, my sleep always suffers, so that also supports the same data. Making me feel like this idea of adapting a home automation logging system, that was reading data from room temperature sensors, might be even more of a good idea!! Can you get bluetooth or wifi skin thermometers??

It was also interesting for a different reason - I was planning to google to find out what is a ‘normal’ % deep sleep. Those graphs top out at 16%. Although I have an occasional bad night, I’m typically >12% or approx 1 hour of deep sleep. Seems that is pretty good in comparison to that data!

Jane

1 Like

Jay,
I like the correlation plot.

Jane,

There are probably a lot of devices out there to measure temp and humidity. Many of the wearable sensors include body temperature measurement.

For room measurements there are among others:

I haven’t tried either, but the data collection and analysis with Zeo data could be fun.

There is also the medication approach to change sleep structure, but then the question is do the benefits outweigh the risks. You can certainly see the correlation between dose and % Deep sleep on the Zeo results.

That’s what to miss about the Zeo website. They provided great reference material. From Zeo and elsewhere, “typical” deep sleep comprises about 21% of sleep in those adults in their 20’s and declines steadily to less than 10% in people aged 70 and older. Or stated another way, about an hour and half in young adults to less than 30 minutes in the elderly. REM remains relatively constant with age at about 22% or about an hour and half declining to a little more than an hour with age. According to Zeo*, “typical” for someone in their 30’s would be 7.1 hours total sleep, with 1.5 hours REM, 69 minutes Deep, interspersed by 21 minutes wake. Zeo’s average ZQ for a 30 something is around 80.

*“How does my Sleep Compare”, provided by Zeo with bedside model

1 Like

Thanks Jay! Being in my mid-40’s, assuming it’s a straight-line graph, I’m spot on with approx 1 hour of deep sleep then! Probably even getting more REM than average, as typically nearer to 2 hours, and less overall wake time, though often split across several different events. Very interesting!

Jane

Hi

I can’t see it explicitly mentioned in prior posts, but that maybe because I don’t fully understand some of the previous documents, but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction if that is the case…

Do we know what is the data that is transmitted over bluetooth, format, content, any encryption? Is there pre-processing in the sensor you wear on the headband, or is all the processing and inference about sleep state in either the bedside device or iphone/iPad/Android app? Does that vary between mobile and bedside versions?

If I’m going to use the data logging approach, and only have the mobile version, it would be simplest if I could do that in real-time and connect my headband directly to the raspberry Pi, over bluetooth, however, if the proprietary algorithms that convert braiwave data to inferred sleep state are only in the app, I will have to manually extract the data from the app and process it offline later. If I’m just looking at things like temperature, that vary relatively slowly, time synching betwen datasets isn’t likely to be critical, but, you know, if I can do it all at the same time, it would be less hassle and therefore better :slight_smile:

Jane

I am new to the Zeo world. I plan to purchase one of the Zeo systems and I am now doing research before I buy. I have seen three basic systems. The bedside, the mobile, and the mobile Pro. It appears as though Ebay is the best option. I would appreciate help in selecting the best of the Zeo systems for home use. I have downloaded the update files for the firmware and the data, and it appears “doable.” Feel free to email or post. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Hi all,

I bought a second hand Zeo Sleep Manager Mobile, which is on its way. I wanted to prepare my Iphone 4s for it, so I looked for the Zeo App in App Store, but nothing that I found.
Is there any way to use Zeo Sleep Manager with my iPhone?

Having checked some posts in the forum I understood that if I had the app I could export the data, but found no reference to those without the Zeo App installed.

Please help me with a hint

Thanks a bunch

In the meantime I spotted a post referring to some .ipa file, which must be the installer of apps on iPhones. So my question is where I can find a Zeo Sleep .ipa running on my Iphone4s?

Ron, in my opinion, the “best” Zeo system is the Bedside, though it is probably the most expensive. The Bedside model displays a graphical hypnogram of the previous night’s sleep and allows review of a 7 day history. The “ZeoDecoderViewer” application allows one to download and view any previous night’s hypnogram and the “ZeoDecoderViewer” and “ZeoDataDecoder” applications allow access to all historical data in a CSV type format. This historical data can be transferred to a spreadsheet and charted as appropriate to illustrate trends, etc. in a fairly straightforward fashion. Additionally, with a little hacking, the Bedside model can be used to monitor sleep and or brainwaves in real time. See post #156 for these apps.

To be fair, I don’t own a mobile device, so my opinion of their usefulness is based solely on posts I have read. But it does seem people have quite a bit of trouble getting them set up and then getting much more than a graphical representation of the the previous night’s sleep. Historical data seems to be very difficult to obtain with mobile systems.

Again, my opinion of mobile systems is based only on posts I have read. Maybe mobile users can offer more insight as to the mobile capabilities and methods for historical data retrieval?

Jay

Hi

@Tisztul_A_Visztula - the Zeo app was presumably removed from the app store because it is not compatible with iOS 7 and, as Zeo have gone out of business, there is nobody to update the app. Although some of us have the installation file, I understand it’s configured only to work with the purchasing iTunes account, so you wouldn’t be able to use it, even if we sent it to you. Sorry!

@Ron - I only have experience of the Zeo mobile with the iOS app.

• It is still possible to email to yourself your daily data as a graphic file, (.png) from the iPhone/iPad app

• It is also possible to export all your historic data, using the ‘diagnostics’ option described earlier in the thread. This exports the data as an sqllite database and XML. This can be exported to csv and imported into something like excel to manipulate the data, however, note that the apps that have been developed by others for use on data from the bedside model, they DO NOT work with the exported data from the mobile system, because the data pre-processing is different, i.e. the fields don’t match. (You may be able to modify that manually). The data is not the most convenient to manipulate, straight out of the mobile system, so, for example, my colleagues and I still haven’t managed to get an excel macro working exactly as hoped, to recreate the hypnogram that the app produces.

I believe there is more scope to write apps to interface with the Android Zeo app, which is still available on Google Play, but my Android phone keeps dropping the bluetooth connection with the headset, so I’ve not had chance to do much with that yet!

So, essentially, unless you have the skills or have friends with the skills to help with the data processing side, or only want to view the trends graphically from the output png files, the mobile is the harder work option, but therefore the much cheaper option to buy secondhand :slight_smile:

Jane

Jane,

In any case let me give a try. Could you please send the installation file to ujeletmgtsz at gmail.com ?

Thanks,
Zoltan

On the other han can somebody parallelly tell me which non-Zeo iPhone app is the best to use Zeo Sleep mobile as a paired bluetooth device? I guess there must be some third party apps which can display the data collected from Zeo mobile.

I found an Iphone app called Quantid - Life Tracker. Can somebody confirm that this app works with Zeo Mobile even if there is no Zeo website any longer?

EDITED after making the next post:
My Zeo Mobile will be delivered tomorrow and I must confess that there is no way to make Zeo app work on my iPhone due to authorization restrictions applied by Apple.

As a sidenote I could hack zeo 1.9.2.ipa with Plist editor. There are two files to modify: iTunesMetaData.plist and MyZeo.sinf.

It seems that both AppleID and DSpersonID (in the first file) and name (in the latter file) have to be changed. If these are done, iTunes let the user install the application.

My only problem is that in the meantime one of my enthusiastic children upgraded my iPhone to IOS7, so running Zeo app is doing nothing just closing the application after 2-3 seconds. I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

S**t happens.

As nobody replied, did you try Quantid? I’ve just had a quick look on the App Store and it reads to me like it downloads data from the various tracker websites, so I’m guessing you won’t be able to directly use it with the Zeo mobile, but I’d be delighted to hear if you’ve found otherwise???

Jane

Yes, I did. I “burnt” 1 buck or so. The app required me to pay, because it stated that adding Zeo Sleep as a device to the app would have meant 15 more metrics, which was more than that the free version offered. But when I paid and added Zeo, the app informed me that there was no way to automatically import data, just through myZeo.
I guess there is no other iPhone app.

In the meantime I borrowed an iPhone with IOS 6.x.x, but the Zeo application collapsed right after running it, the same way as on the other iPhone with IOS 7. So I was not smart enough when I assumed that manipulating a .plist file and a .sinf was enough.

By the way the .ipa you sent me was labelled as an iPad app. I am not good at Apple products, so dunno whether an iPad app should run on an iPhone always. Should it?

Finally I borrowed a Samsung and it was easy to download the Android version of the Zeo app.

Hi

The app is the same for the iPhone and iPad, just that you view it at double size on the iPad. I initially had it on the iPad, but recovered the ipa file from the iPad and installed it on my iOS 6 iPhone. The app is a bit flakey at times anyway, so you may want to try it a few times!

I got an Android phone and the app, but my headband won’t maintain the bluetooth pairing for some reason, but not had the time to investigate yet :frowning:

Jane

I am quite sure it is not about the lack of repeated attempts. Actually I tried at least ten times. I guess it is due to my unprofessional .ipa hacking.

Sad to read that you have problem with your Android phone. I also realized that it is best to unpair and re-pair each time I use the head band, but after this short process Samsung maintains the connection.

I am running the Zeo App on my IOS7 iPhone 5 so far without a problem. I have the app backed up on iTunes. I can provide the file for anyone that might want it.

I would also like to find out if I can locate and copy out the data file with my nights information in it. I don’t know the format or if I could extract the data in any way.

I’m trying to setup a the Zeo serial connection to my Windows 8.1 PC so that I can get the real time data from programs like ZeoScope & ZeoLab. Does anyone have that working? Here is what I did:

1. Built the serial cable following the instructions at http://www.sleepstreamonline.com/rdl/starting.html
  2. I used PUTTY to test to see if my serial cable works. I set my serial parameters to 38400, no parity, one stop bit and connected to the port. I can see gibberish text every few seconds so I feel like the hardware is talking.
  3. Installed Python 2.7 64bit
  4. Installed pySerial 64bit
  5. Installed Zeo Raw Data Library

Everything ‘seemed’ to go smoothly but I can’t get ZeoScope or ZeoLab to display any data. They start up but when I press start recording button I get no data…

Anyone have any ideas how to debug this problem?