Zeo shutting down: export your data!

Hello everyone, I have a problem: the data is loaded, even zeodata in the folder, but when I open the viewer application to display the graphics seems to be loading but then does not load at all. Does anyone know how to help me? can start taking the folders in the sd card?

Georgia, when you open the viewer do you have a Zeo Data tree of dates in the navigation pane (as shown under “Refresh”) in the example above? Did you click on a date to be displayed? Or do you not see the viewer at all?

If you are using windows and you do not see the viewer at all, try right clicking on the executable (zeodecodervier.jar) and select “open with”. Then navigate to the location of your java program files (program files or program files (x86), then to java, then to jre7, then to bin, then select javaw.exe as the program to open the executable. (program files/java/jre7/bin/javaw.exe)

@Jay_Aitchsee,

thank you very much for your reply and I’m for sorry for my english.
I figured out the problem: the measurements were too short .I’m sorry if I made you waste your time and thank you very much again.

Will the doubled time to sleep fixed in the decoder viewer? Or will the Decoder not developed anymore?

Mike, the decoder viewer is no longer being supported by Zeo (or anyone). Someone could write and post a patch to fix it, I suppose, though as Bob implied above, I’m not sure it would be worth the effort. In the meantime, the actual data that is available through the xml output file is correct, although it is in 30 sec interval epochs, if you are charting it, and the time to Z displayed on the Bedside unit itself is correct.
Jay

FWIW, I computed the correlation coefficient between the “newness” of the moon and ZQ for a few months. I wouldn’t think the results are worth posting in themselves, but if anyone is contemplating testing, here’s what my spreadsheet said: the CUMULATIVE cc from July to November 2013 varied from -2% to +8%. I ran a new spreadsheet for a month; at the end of that month the cc was -44%. For “newness” I used the LibreOffice Calc (and Excel?) function
=IFERROR(ABS(MOD(DATEDIF("8/7/2013",A6,"d"), 29.5305882) /29.5305882-0.5),"")
where A6 is the current date. (As far as I remember 8 July 2103 was a full moon.)

This is simply a record of something I did out of curiosity, totally unchecked. I don’t even know that a continuously variable “newness” is a suitable variable.

I’ve had total success using disposable ECG electrodes. Can be expensive using fresh electrodes every night, but I have outdated packs, and use electrodes from them for many months after opening, storing in humidors. I can get about 10 days from each set of electrodes (I haven’t tried to truly maximize the time, just replace them when I seem to be getting dropouts.) About 2 days with new electrodes, another 4 days with Hypafix tape (better than Micropore or Transpore as more conformable, also cheaper), then, after smearing as little Tensive as possible on each electrode with a finger (once only) I get another 4-6 days. Details (necessary) in post #161; this post updates a few points.

PS I slightly updated post #161 on 15 Feb 14 with later conclusions. Edited to clarify Tensive only applied once.

1 Like

Actually, I’ve already looked at this extensively: http://www.gwern.net/Lunar%20sleep

What I did was use a library to get for each date the % full and regress on that per night. Zero apparent lunar effect. (I also graphed the data appropriately so you can eyeball it if you’re a bit skeptical of the regression.)

I have a few years of my own data, naturally, but I’ve also managed to get data for 2 other users. If you or Jay or anyone else would like to send me your CSV or .dat which I can post and then use in my analysis, that’d be great - the more different peoples’ data I have, the less it may be my personal idiosyncrasies.

1 Like

(PM sent to gwern offering data, but pointing out mine is not good, and in a useless format, not Zeo)

Essentially what I did, but I just took a start date of one known new moon near the date range of interest; new moons are 29.5305882 days apart.

My data are not good enough to say anything, really. I also forgot to say that I took a small dose of hypnotic some nights!

Sent a file to you at gwern.net

Jay

Jay,
I see I have missed some posts here. I have both the mobile and bedside Zeo units. I started with the Mobile and wanted more info so purchased the bedside. I am now just about ready to hook up the serial port connection and see what is available from it. Thank you for the information on your sleep lab and accelerometers. I will look at those shortly.
Pol098,
Good information on extending the use of disposable ECG electrodes. I have been purchasing some from Ambu and can get two uses out of them. I have not tried your electrode life-extension techniques but will look into getting the Hypafix and Tensive. I do like the convenience of just putting on a headband.
Nice work all, Bob

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did eventually get this working. Turns out I needed a TTL serial adapter rather than an RS-232 one. I was able to order one on ebay for a few bucks.

Thanks for the reply James. I have ordered the FTDI Cable 5V VCC-3.3V I/O, which is a FT232RQ based USB cable with a 6-pin connector and pinouts of: RTS, RX, TX, 5V, CTS, GND (RTS is the green cable and GND is black). VCCIO is set at 3.3V. This seems to be the one called out by other posts on this forum.

Do you thing that I will the TTL serial adapter instead, and if so, what was the model you got?

Thanks,
Bob

What are the extension techniques for the electrodes? Are we talking about the ZEO Elektrodes? If not, are there any ways to keep the conductivity / make them last longer?

See post 284 where pol098 says about disposable electrodes,

I’ve had total success using disposable ECG electrodes. Can be expensive using fresh electrodes every night, but I have outdated packs, and use electrodes from them for many months after opening, storing in humidors. I can get about 10 days from each set of electrodes (I haven’t tried to truly maximize the time, just replace them when I seem to be getting dropouts.) About 2 days with new electrodes, another 4 days with Hypafix tape (better than Micropore or Transpore as more conformable, also cheaper), and another 4-6 days smearing as little Tensive as possible on each electrode with a finger. Details (necessary) in post #161; this post updates a few details."

Bob

Thanks to Jay’s contribution, I’ve been able to solidify the analysis a little more.

Hello everyone,

are there any people here which got to work reading raw data via serial cable? Unfortunately the incoming data seems to have nothing to do with the documented protocol. Interestingly, I do not think that it is garbage data either as a certain pattern can easily be spotted – but see it for yourself in the attached sample I recorded. Correspondigly the library cannot parse anything of it, as a message does never start with the ‘A4’ string.

I already tried two different USB to Serial converters and even a native port (38400 Bd, no parity, one stop bit), but all give the same result. The firmware version is 2.6.3R; and reading data from the SD card with the Zeo Decoder Viewer seems to work perfectly. Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Greetings,

Sephalon

zeo-raw-data.zip (487 Bytes)

There was quite a lot of information out there; I don’t know if it’s all still available. In particular, the Wayback Machine will find lots of stuff since removed. I may be telling you what you already know, in which case ignore this.

I haven’t done any of this myself, but a starting point might be
http://web.archive.org/web/20130515063514/http://developers.myzeo.com/raw-data-library/
where

Archived version of sourceforge page cited: http://web.archive.org/web/20120829160052/http://zeorawdata.sourceforge.net/

Also: ZeoScope is a biofeedback program using the Zeo. https://github.com/dancodru/ZeoScope

HTH

Hi there,

just wanted to ask once again if anyone of you guys who has backed up the ZEO Iphone app could send me a copy of it.
I know that the apps are supposed to be “personalized” to the Apple ID used to download it, nevertheless I would like to try if I can get it running on my phone.
I do have the Android app for my Zeo mobile and I also have a ZEO bedside unit (haven’t uploaded the new firmare, yet and installed the ZEO Viewer though - that’s still on my todo list) but as I am only using the Iphone these days it would really be handy if I could use the ZEO mobile with my Iphone.
So would anyone of you be willing to send me a copy of the app?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Daniel

Hey All,

I dont know if this is quite the right thread to be asking about this, but I had a question about the data output from the Zeo bedside. I’ve had one on long term loan from a friend, and have been using the Zeo Data Decoder to get everything into excel files so I can process things in a spreadsheet. Data for the base_hypnogram comes out as . (which I have been assuming means undefined), l (light), d (deep), r (REM), and w (wake). Any idea what L indicates? I’ve assumed its meant that the connection was lost, but I’m not entirely sure.

Also, has anyone tried making their own headband sensors? I tried based off the instructables directions (http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Replacement-Zeo-Sleep-Monitor-Headband-Sensor/), but it doesnt seem to be working. Going to have to check if I actually got good electrical connections through the fabric snaps.

Thanks!

Max

Max,
If you cross reference the text output to the xml output, you’ll see that L represents a “6”, other outputs are “0” (undefined), “1” (wake), “2” (REM), “3” (light) and “4” (deep).

From Zeo, “The score of “6” corresponds to a deeper stage of light sleep. As such, when Zeo makes a final decision (and the data is uploaded to the website) it may decide that this stage is light (3) or deep (4) sleep.” Unfortunately, the reference for this quote is no longer available, so I can’t give you a link.

Jay