Zeo shutting down: export your data!

that just means it needs java 7 which isn’t on 10.6. I rebuilt it with java 6, plus it had a few errors if you haven’t run a copy of it before (it crashes making its file system). I will put a copy of it somewhere people can get it when I get to somewhere I can do that tonight. I don’t know what the changes between 2 and 3 are, i didn’t run 2.

I asked about that as well. It is a shame they didn’t release that info (or contact people about their data) as those files appear to contain all the information that is uploaded.
It is a short block cypher so I will just leave a machine running to see if it can find out what it is encoded with, and if I find it put that in the viewer. Would be nice if someone who knew what it was said though, that would save some time. I never did understand why it was encrypted.

ETA: Actually there is one reason i can think of that works, if it is encrypted using the serial number of the unit, which would explain why they asked for that on the zeo registration

Clif and Dan,

The mobile headband starts recording data as soon as you take it off the charging station and will record an entire night’s sleep. I don’t even turn on my mobile app or pair the device with my phone when I go to bed at night. In the morning i fire up my phone + bluetooth and manually sync the headband with the app by hitting ‘import’ in the top right corner of the iphone app and hitting the physical button on the top part of the headband. (I found out about this when I was worried about the bluetooth radiation…)

J

Hi woodinblack,
From what I read on their web site they were initially concerned about medical information being unprotected on the SD card. They changed their line of reasoning and created the un-encrypting firmware updates ( O & R versions).
The serial number may be related to the encryption, however I don’t recall providing my bedside serial number. I believe I established a sign in through the blog (which did not require a serial number), and then used the same sign-in for my data upload.
Thanks-

Interesting, I wondered why they needed the serial number to log in when I first did it, I guess it was for other reasons then.

The logic of the security is a little flawed isn’t it? My personal data is orders of magnitude more secure in a device in my bedroom than it could ever be on a third party public website. Especially now it has been sold of to someone else that we don’t even know who they are.

Hello all. I’ve read much of the discussion here, but I am still a bit lost. I have a zeo mobile, which I use with an iPhone 5. I understand that the website is no longer an option, but I assumed I’d still be able to save my sleep in the app, since I can still access older sleep records. However, I cannot get them to add to sleep history once I hit the stop tracking button. Am I wrong that I can do this? If so, I’ll start taking a SS when I’m ready to end the tracking.

Edit: IDK what I did differently, but it saved last night.

Edit 6/23/2014: Before continuing, please see Woodinblack’s new Zeo viewer here:

Zeo Viewer for Bedside Models. (verified with Windows 7)

An open source Java based application originally published by Zeo.

Terms of use: zeotermsofuse.pdf (71.6 KB)

This viewer will only view new unencrypted data. It will not view data previously encrypted.
This is what it looks like:

To install the viewer, first remove all previous versions of Java from the PC, then install the latest from Java.com. For Mac, see Java.com for for instructions pertaining to particular OS.

Next, place the Zeo SD card in the PC and copy the Zeo Folder to the PC to save the encrypted data in case a method to open encrypted data become available later. The Zeo Folder is written to the card by the Bedside unit and contains the ZeoSleep.dat data file. Update: See bo3bber’s post to decrypt saved encrypted data.

Then acquire Zeo firmware-v2.6.3O, or Zeo firmware-v2.6.3R, either will work to unencrypt future data. R is needed if serial port access is desired.

INSTALL THE FIRMWARE

Download one of the firmware updates above and extract the zeo.img file

Copy and place the extracted zeo.img file in the Zeo folder on the SD card. If there isn’t a Zeo folder on the SD card, put it the Bedside unit to write one, the firmware update must be in the Zeo folder to work.

After the firmware has been placed in the Zeo Folder of the SD card, place the card in the Bedside unit and press the Settings button, then the Right button 7 times to show the software version, then the Down button to load the new firmware.

Then erase the SD card by pressing the Settings button, then the Right button 5 times, then the Down button. This removes previously encrypted data and must be done after loading the new firmware.

Leave the SD card in the Bedside unit and collect new sleep data.

INSTALL THE VIEWER

Install the viewer by download this application: ZeoDecoderViewer0.2a2Release.zip (594.2 KB)

Use ZeoDecoderViewer0.2a2Release.zip not Source ZeoDecoderviewer0.2a2 (sourceZeocoderviewer contains the source files only) (there is a Zeodecoderviewer 0.3a, but it was broken as published)

Once the viewer is downloaded, copy the zip file to a location of choice, (a new folder is recommended) and extract the files. Once extracted, there will be a Lib file and a ZeoDecoderViewer executable file.

Place the SD card with new data back in the computer.

Start the viewer application by double clicking the executable file.

When the viewer opens, select File, select Load DAT File, navigate to your SD card and open the ZeoSleep data file (in the Zeo folder on the card). This should load all the data on the card for viewing. Select the year, month, day of the desired data to view.

A Zeo Data file will be created and stored on the PC in the folder where the Library and Executable files were extracted which allows access to data downloaded from the card. This data is stored in xml format.

The attached snip, opened with browser, contains the portion of the example day’s file which contains the 5 min and 30 sec hypnograms. Either of these could be transferred to a spreadsheet as space-separated values for further manipulation and graphing.

Jay

For additional resources, go here:

Edit 8/09/13: updated source for decoderviewer

1 Like

JAY: Thank you for this excellent contribution.

Hi OP Engr,

It was not a company. It is a lab at a Arizona College. I have not been able to get any further information from them. At this point until they contact me again I can not say much more. I am still looking for someone that would be willing to commercialize the Zeo again. I do have a question though. Is anyone interested in talking about ways to improve the software, website, and hardware? I keep thinking about it and I will also keep praying that I will win the Lottery and get it started myself, but I have lots of ideas and I want to see if I am off base. Besides if someone does get it going again they can use this info to help get it going again. If anyone is interested. Where do we have this discussion? I also would like to talk about other apps and devices while we are at it.

Mike

Hi Jay Aitchsee,

So far for my Zeo Mobile I have installed Java JDK, Jave SE, iFunBox, and I can see the data, but I have yet to be able to get it out of the file to use in a spreadsheet or visualize it in any format. I’m using a Windows 8 laptop and I am getting my file from my iPod Touch. I have stopped using the Zeo to stop wear and tear it. I love the look of what you have there, now if I can just get it working on my laptop. Mind you I have zip for any kind of programing or database knowledge either. I am just a guy trying to continue using my Zeo and maybe find someone who can get it commercialized again.

Mike

Found this while browsing, maybe someone will be interested.

The quote below is from the comments on the site.

BobCio says: Jul 9, 2013. 8:14

UPDATE on Aftermarket Consumables Replacements (Replacement Pads/Headbands):

Thanks to everyone for contacting me to let me know of your interest in our aftermarket headband replacements. We are completing the prototype testing for our aftermarket headband replacements for both the mobile and bedside Zeo products and are very pleased with the positive results. We expect to have the production line operational soon, and have products available for sale in the next 30-60 days. We will post here again when the production line is fully operational. These are professionally manufactured products and will meet the product quality you’ve appreciated in the Zeo product line. Please be sure to email me, if you haven’t already, so that we may add you to our list and notify you when products are ready for delivery. We have changed our primary email address to ZeoReplacements@Outlook.com.

Regards,

Bob.

Hi Mike,

NAU, ASU, UA, Other?

They had their window and couldn’t hold on to the market.
I don’t see it as a Kickstart project since they were already in production.

To be successful they need more (software & hardware improvements). Some ideas are listed elsewhere in this thread (In one of my posts I pointed out that they could easily make the bedside unit push data to their server without the user having to pull the SD card).
What I think is missing is the direct connection to better sleep. I think their coaching was an attempt at this.

I also think QS may provide the answer to the last question (better sleep) as large numbers of people experiment, take data, post and discuss their results.

Enjoy

Hi OP Engr,

It was University of Arizona. As to the ways they could improve it I have started a thread under APP’s and Tools. As I saw it this thread was more about keeping what we have working and working with what we have. My plan for this thread was to be multifold. I want to talk mainly about how to improve the product over all, but I also want this to be a jump starter for other products. As I see it we here at QS fit in pretty much each of the communities I have started to out line in that thread. Please feel free to join in everyone. Also if you can think of anyone out there who is thinking about commercializing the Zeo again point them this way. I agree on both points you have brought up and I plan on bringing them up for more detailed discussion. If that is I can get more people to talk about it with me. Even If I can’t I plan on posting all my thought process on this.

Mike

Some more information on the EDU is that it is the http://thehigginslab.com and it is with the professor that I have been chatting. Look under their projects to find the Zeo Sleep Manager section.

Mike

Well, I am writing a mac application for reading my (my wifes actually) zeo data. I do have the 3a version of the sleep manager working as a double clickable thing, but it is a bit clunky and not really that much use for what she wants, other thing showing rather badly drawn graphs.

She wanted a bit more data, not only graphs of the day, but deep sleep for the day, week month, the ability to annotate graphs as to what was going on, what drugs were being used etc to see what affects what.

If I do that I will just put it on my website and post about it. I can’t be bothered to do it as a commercial project.

Zeo Viewer for Bedside Models. (confirmed with Windows 7)

This viewer worked perfectly!! Thanks, Jay. I would prefer to view my sleep data on a Mac. Does this viewer work as easily with Mac?

The zeosleepviewer works fine on a Mac

Does anyone know if it’s possible to replace headband battery? I only have one left, unfortunately, so when its battery degrades I will be out of luck. I guess I’ll find out the hard way then by taking the thing apart, nothing to lose :slight_smile:

Hi woodinblack,

Thank you for offering to share your app with the community. Any thoughts on making it open source so others can build on your efforts?

I think the weekly ZEO plots were more insightful than the daily sleep plots. Even so it was hard to get a clear picture on drivers of sleep quality. I think it may take more specific information and a better display of data to see the connections. For example:

• Rx and coffee may need a specific time consumed instead of that day or evening.
  • The absorption rate and decay rate in the body of the Rx and its byproducts.
  • Too much ZEO “time to sleep” can indicate insomnia (or too much coffee)
  • Too little time to sleep can indicate sleep deprivation.

I am looking at Heart Rate combined with ZEO data (see ZEO HR Overlay.pdf).

There is also research on Heart Rate Variability and Breathing (Cardiopulmonary Coupling) as a measure of sleep quality:

http://www.sleepimage.com/index.cfm/id/67/What-is-SleepImage/

Hi OP Engr,

This is the kind of stuff I an looking for in the discussion thread in APP and Tools section of the forum. If you have any ideas please feel free to post them there also. As I read everyone’s post I plan on looking for things like this to add to my discussion.

Has anyone tried using MyFitnessCompanion to record data from their Bluetooth biomonitors. I use it because it can take single entries that I can type in and it can do a continuous 5sec and up polling feed from your Bluetooth device if it is supported. I am talking with the guy who made the app and he is about come out with a revamped version of it. He needs beta testers and feedback. It can link to a couple app websites through APIs and it can upload to Microsoft HealthVault. It can export the data in a csv text file also and along with that it can monitor multiple devices at once.

I’m about to purchase my first Zeo Mobile Pro+ to use with my Android smartphone.

I’d like to ensure it was not one of the first built (as it might have H/W bugs that were ironed out in the final builds). I have no idea if it has been sitting around for in the shop before I go to buy it. Can somebody who recently purchased a Zeo (direct from the mfg before they shut up shop) give me an idea what serial number (or range +/-say 10) they have ?

@woodinblack:
I have also been kick-starting the prototyping of such an application from my side and provided some insights on this page:
http://www.scanx.org/fredqs/main/sleepgatheringprocess.html
It is just a prototype so far, but could be worth exchanging some ideas.

@OP_Engr:
Which application did you use for combining Heart Rate and ZEO data on the same graph?
A bit off-topic here (we can continue by PM), but I am also very interested by this issue, what is your setting for monitoring your HR at night? (by the way, the Zephyr BioHarness 3 mentioned by MichaelDKester in another thread seems an excellent candidate for combining Zeo data with breathing rhythms as well).

Otherwise, about research on Heart Rate Variability:
1/ I was also wondering if the algorithm used by sleepimage for computing cardiopulmonary coupling frequencies was somehow supported by the software Kubios (would be interesting to figure this out, and if only HR data is used as input of such an algorithm or if the actigraphy recorded by the sleepimage device would be required as well). You could also check how your HR data can be imported in the software.
Kubios HRV website: http://kubios.uef.fi/KubiosHRV/

2/ Related to this topic, I am surprised that nobody on this forum has mentioned “beddit” so far. Indeed, I have not really figured out when this product could be available, but it seems promising. It relies on a non intrusive set of sensors simply tied around your mattress, and “the sleep staging is carried out by an algorithm that utilizes heart rate variation, respiratory variation and activity information” for computing and displaying in a user-friendly way the following information: sleep staging (wake, light/REM/deep sleep), stress reactions (based on heart rate variability), heart rate curve and average heart rate, and “restlessness index”.
Check out their website: http://www.beddit.com
I also recommend a very nice article presenting the whole approach in detail (“Unobtrusive Online Monitoring of Sleep at Home”, J. Paalasmaa, M. Waris, H. Toivonen, L. Leppakorpi, and M. Partinen, 2012).

Hi Frederic,

These are all topics that I plan on hitting at some point in my thread. Thank you for further information that I can use and for others as well. I plan on referencing this post in my Zeo marketability thread. Slowly, but surely I plan of filling it out. So far it seems more like a monologue than a discussion, but I have hopes that as it fills out it will be come a springboard for similar discussions on other devices, apps, websites, and software we use.