Are you wondering what else to quantify? how about your fart?

Hey all!

My name is Tim Kim. I was thinking of ways to monitor and quantify the inner gut of my body. I was bothered by the fact that I can track and log the “inputs” to my body, yet the “output” of the body is often not measured. So, I decided to track my flatus, yes my fart. I have designed and thought of methods that can be put into practice today and also have been researching for future methods and the implications of quantifying my flatulence.

From your flatulence, you can measure these things:
-chemical compounds such as:
nitrogen
hydrogen
carbon dioxide
methane (although not everyone has the archaea to create methane)
oxygen
hydrogen sulfide
-temperature of the flatulence
-speed of the flatulence
-frequency of the flatulence
-list of food you consume
-odor rate
-pressure
and hopefully in the future, the quality and quantity of the gut bacteria(e.coli and fecal coliform bacteria)

With growing interests in the gut flora and other bacteria/microbiome that shape our health and even our mind, I thought it’d be interesting to take the project further and work towards creating a device that can detect and quantify the fecal coliform bacteria that are found in the flatulence. I’d be more than happy to share my ideas and thoughts.

I am looking for anyone else who find the project interesting. I want to talk to you guys and share ideas and thoughts regarding this method of quantifying ourselves.

I am based in LA and would love to MeetUp (I will be posting a meetup suggestion) but if you are not around and would like to see the prototypes and some overall design schemes and talk about it, we can always Google hangout or skype!

my email is junghyuni88@gmail.com, please feel free to email me to set up a googlehangout session or if you’re based in LA, we can meet up somewhere as well. I’d appreciate every comment,input, suggestions, etc. I am flexible with time, and it doesn’t have to be formal pitch like thing, informal hoodie and coffee conversation about farting is perfectly suitable for me!!:D:P

hope to share and have interesting conversation with you guys! Thank you for reading.

Hey guys,

This is Tim again. I just wanted to include that I am dead serious about this and that I am not trying to troll anyone. Thank you

Sorry, but that post was great for laughing…

No offense, but I think measuring all that variables with a device will be not too simple in daily life.

But on the other hand your thinking is right. From some holistic views we tend to say that maldigestion can form gases and alcohol. So this would cause a slightly bad mental state, because the gas of course has also to dilute to some amount into the blood stream and reaches the brain. I am sure no one ever measured a think like this. Second would be a constant level of alcohol in the blood and may effect the liver and brain as well.

So I think it is worth to measure but I think your variables are too complicated.

Why not try to count how many times you fart. Or even scale them as short or long, so you can have a feeling about the amount of gases. You may also try to rate how much discomfort it gives you.

When you do some logging of food as well you might have a good prediction method. Maybe an indicator for food intolerances as well.

Go for it. I’d like to see the results of your project.

Hey! Thank you for the feedback! I agree, the variables are definitely too complicated. I was thinking about long term goals, but for now, I can start by creating/logging analog method of tracking frequency/time/odor level(scale)/volume/location.

I agree as well on the idea of tracking intake food and play with prediction method as the data accumulates.

What do you think of playing with predictive modeling to come up with estimated time for farting based on data compared to actual physical moment of passing gas? would that be interesting or beneficial to you?

Thank you again! I’ll post some pdfs of basic design soon!

Hey! Thank you for the feedback! I agree, the variables are definitely too complicated. I was thinking about long term goals, but for now, I can start by creating/logging analog method of tracking frequency/time/odor level(scale)/volume/location.
[/quote]

I see you are quite serious about this Project. But As I said, keep it simple. So “odor” as variable is no hard data.
And what about “level”, what do you intend to measure?
Volume seems also to hards to specify, and, uhhmm, location should be always the same :wink:

Ganbatte ne!