Banning the Internet at Home

I’ve begun a two week experiment to ban the internet at my house. I plan to make almost daily updates to this log about what I’m experiencing, the technical difficulties I’m running into and the adjustments I’m making.

##Why am I doing this?

I expect that this will help with general productivity. I have inattentive ADHD and more than just being a time-sink, I feel like my brain operates worse after indulging in distracting websites. I have done similar experiments before (like avoiding digital media for a month) and have found that my brain benefits from a daily rest period absent of refreshing content. An outcome I hope for is increased writing output.

I’m inspired by Lydia Lutsyshyna’s project where she essentially banned schoolwork from her apartment, confining it to the library. She found that she spent more time with her friends and on her creative pursuits. Her schedule seemed to stabilize with mealtimes and sleep happening at more consistent times of the day.

I have had much more success with designing my environment to discourage certain behaviors than trying to exert willpower. I am willing to go to ridiculous lengths to add strategic inconveniences to my technology.

##What are the rules?

The rules are pretty simple. I’m turning off the internet for my devices when I am at home. The intention is to have clearly defined contexts for certain activities. Work is to be done at a co-working space and personal internet use is to be done at a cafe or library (using a vpn), but it’s okay for me to do work at those places as well. I’m interested to see what new behaviors will emerge. Will I go to the gym, instead of working out at home, so I can download podcasts on their wifi?

##What’s the set up?
The implementation is a bit more complex. My router will be my main enforcement tool. The main difficulty I have in pulling this off is that I want to turn off the internet for myself, but not my partner. I try not the draw her too much into my dumb experiments (though the month where I avoided all electric light after sunset and we had dinner by candlelight was nice). I’m able to set rules on my router so that certain devices can not access the internet, identified by their IP addresses. Currently, I don’t have static IP’s set up for my devices, so I’ll have to see if this becomes a problem. I’m also not doing anything special to block my access to the router. I expect that I will need to make a number of tweaks in the first few days. If temptation becomes too much of an issue, I can write the router password down on a piece of paper and give it to my partner to hold on to.

##What are the exceptions?
I’m making room for a few exceptions that I find reasonable. My friends and I have a weekly online gaming night where we play either D&D over a virtual tabletop or other games like Heroes of the Storm. My gaming pc will be able to access the internet only from 8pm until 1am every Wednesday night.

I’m also making an exception for my phone. This seems like a massive exception, but my phone’s internet access is already tightly controlled. I don’t have a browser or any social media apps. I use only self-tracking, messaging, reference and general utility apps (e.g. apple maps, foursquare, dictionary, etc.). I also allow myself to listen to my iTunes library and audiobooks that I check out from the library. But there is no app where I can say, “what’s new?” and refresh the content. I even have the Mail app disabled by default. I use Buffer so that I can post to Twitter, but I can’t see my timeline. Another principle is that I don’t use any app that causes me to stare at my phone for extended periods of time. So, no flashcard apps like Anki, or offline reading apps like Instapaper. While my relationship to the internet is terrible, my relationship with my phone has gotten pretty good after a couple years of experimenting with removing its functionality.

Another exception is any joint activity with my partner, like streaming a movie.

That’s the current set up. I’m sure to make many adjustments and plan to document them here.

##What are my metrics?
Oh yeah, those. I don’t see this as a metrics driven experiment. It’s more about creating artificial constraints and see what happens. This is why I aim to post near daily updates documenting my subjective experience.

However, I’m still interested in how this will affect my productivity and mood. Because of the nature of my work, I only log time when I’m actively working. My number of hours worked each day is a pretty good proxy for how productive I have been. For mood, I use moodscope and will be doing that test first thing in the morning. I can also look at sleep, fasting blood sugar, blood pressure, resting heart rate and weight. These are all things that I measure regularly, so there’s always a baseline established for any experiment.

I’m also in the middle of a willpower measurement experiment (which I need to start a project log for). I assume there will be an impact there, but I’m still in a calibration stage with that experiment and am frequently tweaking my process.

##When did I start?
I implemented the rules on the router on Wednesday, June 12th. I’m using this week as a calibration period to make sure the system is working and plan to keep with it until at least Sunday, June 30th.

##How’s it been so far?
I had my first full day with no internet at home yesterday. I think it made it easier for me to get my day going in the morning even though I stayed up late the night before (the aforementioned game night). I made the mistake of bringing my iPad and the usb key that unlocks access to the personal profile on my laptop to the coworking space with me (the work profile on my computer has a lot of restrictions on which websites I can access). The idea was that I would work on my personal stuff at 5pm for an hour before heading home. I found access to the personal profile to be too much of a distraction. Even though I biked to work, I had a pretty hard time concentrating. Around midday, I used a timed lock to lock the usb key in a small bag until 5pm.

When I got home, I worked out for the first time since getting back from vacation on Monday. I didn’t have any grand plans for what to do with my time after that. I went on my gaming pc just to see which games would work without internet access and watched part of a German movie that had been downloaded to my iPad for my recent trip to the east coast. Not a great use of my time, but I think it was enough stimulation to assuage the part of my brain that revolts whenever I try to implement these kind of restrictions.

3 Likes

I’m impressed! I don’t think I could manage this – I’m so connected. I met my spouse (@cjbprime on twitter) ~15 years ago via IRC-like online chatting.

I have tangent questions based on your mention of mood tracking – since I’m also interested in the mood-tracking options out there. I checked out moodscope… the card game seemed tedious (is it really necessary/helpful?). Also, my instinct has been that mood tracking deserves more granularity than “daily”, but I might be wrong. Any thoughts on that? Have you tried other mood trackers? If so, I’m curious about the reasons to prefer moodscope! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Before the update, I’ll address Mad’s questions. According to Jon Cousins, the cumbersome nature of the Moodscope cards is by design. Inspired by Daniel Kahneman, he thought that the manipulation of the cards encouraged the “slow” kind of thinking. I haven’t read Thinking Fast and Slow, so I can’t comment on how true I think that is.

I like using Moodscope because, for whatever reason, the Moodscope score feels more real to me than if I self-evaluated my mood on a 1-10 or 1-100 score. My self-evaluations would be too influenced by what I want the number to be. With Moodscope, even though it too is based on self-evaluation, I’m curious to find out what the number will be. The scores have been reliable enough that they typically move in the same direction as what I am subjectively feeling. There’s almost never a feeling of a mismatch. The one exception is that if I’m really tired, but my mood is not really suffering, my score will be lower than what it should be.

Gyroscope has a similar mood-measuring tool, but I haven’t switched over. Jon Cousins made another similar tool called WellBee which includes questions relating to physical wellbeing, but the results didn’t feel right to me. It’s a more holistic approach, but not as useful to me because I think Moodscope is more focused on an area of myself that is more volatile.

If your goal is to take multiple measurements a day, then Moodscope won’t be a good tool. It’s cumbersome enough that I’ve had difficulty getting myself to do it even twice a day. It’s not ideal for doing on a phone (which is where I prefer all of my self-tracking activity to be), but it works well enough. Since I disabled the browser on my phone, that was an issue, but I now use an app called “SafeWeb” where I can whitelist websites that I still need to access.

Now for the update:

After work on Friday, Sada and I went to a friend’s place for a board game night. Since I’ve connected to their wifi before, I knew I would have internet access. Irresponsibly, I tried to download a couple nature documentaries from Das Erste while we were playing the game. Being overeager to use other people’s wifi could be a negative effect of this experiment.

I went to two different coffee shops on Saturday and Sunday for about three hours each day to use their internet. Both times, I ended up ordering food that wasn’t good for me. The sandwich on Sunday particularly made it difficult to focus. Next time, I’ll need to bring a snack with me. The internet was atrocious at the Sunday location, which made my time less productive.

We’ll see how it develops, but having to leave the house to use the internet kind of feels like visiting the town square to see what everyone’s up to.

For some reason, my devices were able to access the internet on Sunday night. I checked the router and my rules were gone except for one. I’m not sure what happened, I hope that this won’t prove to be fatal for the experiment. I set up the rules again and they were still working this morning. For some reason, I can’t figure out how to block the Oculus Quest, a standalone VR headset from connecting. In trying to figure that problem out, I ended up browsing distracting websites in the device (this project log is going to get embarrassing real quick), and ended up staying up too late. I plan to return the headset this week anyhow, so I don’t see this being too much of a problem. In the meantime, I let the battery run out and boxed it back up.

I noticed that in the absence of the internet, I still consumed a fair amount of content on my iPad in the form of podcasts and movies. Even though those apps are within bounds, since it is downloaded material, I’ve deleted both of those apps (apple podcasts and VLC) to see what will happen. A part of this experiment is observing how often and in what form my brain craves stimulation and what happens when the cheapest stimulation is removed.

The thing I probably miss the most is not being able to use Readlang. It’s a webservice that I use for reading German books. When you click a word, it will show you the translation and will automatically make a flashcard with the sentence the word appeared in. In it’s absence, I can read the book in iBooks and use the dictionary lookup feature but it is noticeably slower. There’s a little bit of pressure here, because Sada and I were planning to have a mini-book club for this series. It’s YA lit and she’s reading it in English, while I’m reading it in the original German. She’s already breezed through it and is now waiting on me. I’m only about 5% done.

My time on the internet at the coffee shop was not as efficient as it should have been. I’m going to see if I adjust to this idea of the internet being a time-bound resource and that I need to be very clear about what I plan to do and not get distracted. Part of my procrastination pathology could be the idea that I have more time to do things. I often think that I’ll do work stuff on the weekend, but rarely do. I’ll convince myself that I can still get something done Sunday night, even though I know that we have plans to have dinner at my in-laws. I’m guessing that this narrative is devised to assuage anxiety about getting things done, so I’ll see if that notion can be disabused.

Blocking youtube completely worked really well for me. Setting automatic daily wifi shut off helps sleep.

2 Likes

I look forward to the updates! It’s very impressive if you manage to shut off completely! I doubt that I would be able to do it myself as I’m so connected …

Best regards
Kristian, owner of Find-Internet.dk

Catching Up

I didn’t keep to my update schedule as I planned. I wrote a draft, but didn’t publish it (I was time-boxing and ran out of time). I then had a family issue that caused me to travel to Northern California for a week. Using the internet while staying at my father’s house was, technically, not breaking my rules. But I did engage in some behaviors that I took back up with me in Portland, which I get into in the Setbacks section.

New Behaviors

Two weeks ago, I rode my bike to the co-working space on three of the week days. Although I could take the bus, I think I was more motivated because of this project to take an action that would promote better focus while working. It’s about a five mile ride and takes about 35 minutes. It’s a great way to incorporate intense cardio into my schedule.

I’ve been trying to figure out where and when I should do my personal internet time. I would like to do it somewhere besides the co-working place. I went to a nearby dive bar after dinner on Monday and Tuesday (two weeks ago). I decided on a set of three tasks to complete each time to keep me focused. Their internet was pretty good. Turns out that they do karaoke every night at 9pm. I karaoked a song before heading home on Monday.

Setbacks

I have found that cardio is important for giving me mental clarity. I suspect that for some reason, my brain is more susceptible to the negative effects of not clearing out metabolic waste products. Therefore, I was hoping that the cardio would lead to better productivity at work. However, that has not been the case. I feel like I’ve had a worse time staying on task on Monday and Tuesday (two weeks ago). I didn’t ride my bike on Wednesday or Thursday.

I had a terrible time sleeping on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday, I suspect that the adrenaline from karaoking a song kept me up. Plus, having blue lights beamed into my eyes from the stage didn’t help. On Tuesday, I didn’t sing karaoke, but still had difficulty going to bed. My guess is that the environment is too loud and stimulating.

The result is that I felt awful when I woke up on Tuesday and Wednesday. I felt especially bad on Wednesday, getting only a minimal amount of work done.

My router has been finicky with keeping to the access restriction rules that I set up. I suppose that it’s just faulty firmware. I’m not quite sure what to do about it. I’ve set my devices up with static ip’s, so hopefully that helps. Unfortunately, when I’ve discovered that a device has internet access, I usually indulge, rather than logging onto the router to see what happened and set up the rules again.

I have yet to log on to the router to give a device access because I felt like getting online. I see a similar thing with the websites that I put on a blacklist in the hosts file. For whatever reason, the indulgent part of my brain respects those barriers. But if I set up a blacklist through a browser extension, it doesn’t last long until I disable it.

One major setback took place mostly on my trip to Northern California but followed me back to Portland. There’s been a bevy of games released recently based on the popular Dota 2 mod called Auto Chess. I can’t remember my motivation but I installed the mobile versions, Dota Underlords and Auto Chess Mobile, onto my iPad. I generally have a “no games” policy for my phone and tablet, but perhaps it had been weakened because I installed that Harry Potter-themed game based on Pokeman Go (I have since removed that app) on my phone a few days before because I was curious.

For whatever reason, that game got its claws in me and I spent most of my free time playing it. It may have been an escape from a stressful situation; I’m not sure. I’ve been trying to understand what about that game made it so addictive. The gameplay, I’ve been told, is similar to Clash of Clans. You select units to fight a small skirmish against eight other players. There’s no other interaction. You select the units and watch them fight.

A key part of the gameplay is upgrading the units. And I think that’s the key addictive ingredient. After each skirmish, the game will present five units to potentially buy. If one of those units matches a unit you already own, you can combine them to get an upgraded unit. If you don’t like the five you are presented with, then you can pay gold to reroll for five more units. It’s essentially a gambling mechanic. At least it’s working on the same circuitry. The feeling of excitement is not even that strong, but there is a clearly a dopamine release action occurring every time that I see an upgrade to one of my existing units. Reinforcing this excitement, is the yellow halo that surrounds a unit to show that it is upgradeable. Each time this happens it slowly builds that dopamine-reinforcing habit loop.

Another aspect of the addiction-seeking behavior that I don’t quite understand is telling myself that this will be the last game and then I’ll put it down. But just as the game ends, there is this empty feeling that I immediately vanquish by pressing to “play” again. I’ve seen similar behavior with reading articles online. I’ll want to stop, but find myself continually opening new tabs. I would like to learn some better mental tools to deal with this.

This is obviously quite embarrassing to write out, but I think it’s important to understand how I and others are being affected by their digital devices.

Adjustments

I’ve stopped going to the dive bar at night to get my personal internet time in. My plan is to set up my personal profile on computer as a child account and configure it so that I don’t have access until 4:45pm to give myself 45 minutes of internet time before I head home for the day. I could lock up my usb access key every day to be released at 4:45pm, but adherence would be more difficult.

After three days of bad behaviors after I got back from California, I’ve deleted Auto Chess Mobile from my iPad to help get this experiment back on track. I set up all of the internet restriction rules again, and for the time being, I’m going on a temporary digital media diet. This means no podcasts, music, and articles (As I mentioned in my first post, I did this for a month last year). It’s been less then a day, but I already feel much much better after going through my evening and morning routines without digital stimulation.

The one exception I had to make was that I allowed internet access to a reading device. I’m reading a book in German (Rubinrot) and I prefer to use a service called Readlang that makes it easy to look up translations and create flashcards out of them. I’m using a small tablet with an e-ink screen. It’s terribly slow, and is pretty much only good for this one use. I’ll have to see if it becomes problematic though.

Other thoughts and observations

Since I’m rebooting this project, it will have to last for another two weeks, ending on the 14th.

I struggle with the right terminology for these kind of projects. I feel self-conscious using the word “experiment”. The nature of this project is exploratory, rather than testing a specific hypothesis. There is a hypothesis, I guess, that I think that this may help with productivity and mood. However, my focus is not that narrow. I want to see how I interact with the constraints.

So, what’s a better term? Montaigne called his little experiments “essays”, which supposedly means “to try” in French. Of course, that term has come to mean something else in English and is not useful here. A “trial” also has too many associations with it. I may have to settle with self-tracking project, though even then, the data is secondary to my subjective observations.

2 Likes

I have found that cardio is important for giving me mental clarity.

Like, you measured clarity in some way (or productivity) and confirmed this deliberately – or is it a less explicit understanding about yourself?

(I’m genuinely curious because @gedankenstuecke has reported similar. I’ve thought that tracking the effect of exercise on stuff like this is something else I’m interested in doing for myself, because I’ve never had an exercise habit. If I could prove benefits to myself, maybe that would change.)

I feel self-conscious using the word “experiment”. The nature of this project is exploratory, rather than testing a specific hypothesis.

I hear you! I agree “essay” lacks those connotations in English. Self-tracking seems to lack the connotation of discovery.

I’ve being trying out the phrase “self-research” – what do you think?

I had to backpack around Latin America to get rid of my video game addiction.

@madprime

I haven’t tried to measure mental clarity directly. Inspired by your question, I added a psychomotor vigilance task test and discuss other options for measuring this below in the “adjustments” section. I exercise primarily for the mental benefits, but I don’t think I’ve seen my data demonstrate that connection.

I like “self-research”. A couple other options could be “self-observation study” or more succinctly, “self study”. Those terms don’t seem to carry as many expectations as “experiment” does.

@rain8dome9

Could you tell me more about that? How bad was the habit? What games were they? How long did you backpack and how did your behavior change when you got back?

I played what seemed to be a normal amount of video games throughout high school and college. Every now and then there would be a binge. That happened with Civilization 3 and Football Manager. After college, I didn’t play at all, except for occasional games with my friends after a D&D session. What happened in the past few years is that I had a terrible political twitter habit. That’s when I started experimenting with my media consumption to help me understand it better. I was successful in cutting out almost all political content, but it created a void that video games and video game podcasts filled. Part of the appeal was that the content was inconsequential and, therefore, non-threatening.

Project Log entry #3

New Behaviors

Most of yesterday was spent outside of the house. I hosted a Quantified Self meetup and didn’t get home until 10pm. So, I didn’t have much time to deal with not having internet at home.

I noticed that my sense of self-control was exceedingly high yesterday. I was able to keep with my dietary goals fairly easily. I also noticed that I had enough extra mental energy to try to keep good posture throughout the day. This felt significant, because I’ve noticed that on days that I’m easily distracted, it feels impossible to get myself to sit up straight. This could be a combination of the digital stimulation diet and sleeping incredibly well the night before. Though the quality of my sleep may have been influenced by sleep deprivation. I didn’t fall asleep at all the prior night (Auto Chess. Really, it was that bad).

However, my brain was a bit fried from the meetup last night and I was craving stimulation when I got home. I turned on my gaming pc to “check” whether to router access rules were still working. I was, of course, lying to myself as to why I was doing this check, but the router rules were functioning properly and that computer didn’t have any internet access. I will be paying attention to how often I do this “checking” behavior.

Setbacks

Though I was craving stimulation, I got myself to read in bed using Readlang on my e-ink tablet. After ten minutes, I tried to see if I could access Reddit on it. I could, but was happy to find that it was so slow that it was completely useless. I think the slowness will be enough of a deterrent so that I don’t have to set up a way to block it.

Adjustments

I’m making a few adjustments to how I track this project. I’ve decided to track how many times I cheat. I’m using a simple counter device attached to my belt. My method is to click it every time I access the internet and then set a recurring 15 minute timer. Every 15 minutes that I’m still using the internet will result in a click.

I’ve started writing down observations throughout the day in a paper notebook. There’s a Japanese stationary store that opened up nearby that sells cheap and small notebooks, but still look nice. I like the idea of having a notebook for each experiment, and I’m testing to see if it works in practice. The notebook has 60 pages and measures 14.8 x 10.5cm (5.8" x 4.1") and was only a dollar.

Throughout the day I’m noting any interesting observations that I’m having and am pulling from that for this project log. I created a “data page” in the notebook as well. The idea is not that this notebook is the primary store for those metrics however. The data is being captured in their relative silos, but I’m interested to see if any insights come from writing the pertinent information and seeing it in one place.

I’ve added a new metric. Somewhat prodded by Mad’s comment about mental clarity, I’ve added a psychomotor vigilance task test to my morning routine. The app I’m using is Vigilance Buddy. It’s fairly basic but suits my purpose. Unfortunately, I won’t have a baseline, though I do have some old measurements from QS DC organizer Daniel Gartenberg’s app (I stopped using it because it was incompatible with newer iOS’s. Or maybe it didn’t play nice with the smaller screen of the iPhone 5s. I’m not sure). Ideally, I would use something similar to Seth Roberts’ mental acuity test, but I have not found a way to do that test on a phone. Unfortunately, he was developing an app when he died, but his collaborator stopped working on it and decided not to release it. PVT is supposed to measure sustained attention and is useful for gauging the impact of sleep debt. I don’t know how reflective it is of executive function, which is what this project is interested in. So, we’ll see if this metric is useful.

Other Thoughts and Observations

I’m at a bit of the crossroads with this project. In order to get it back on track, I had to cut out digital stimulation for a couple of days. But that’s not the main thing this project is examining (I did the digital stimulation diet last year). Multiple people have noted that they are “too connected” to do a project like this. I guess that’s what I’m exploring: What effect does it have on my well-being to have a place where I’m not connected. I can surround myself with content in the form of music, books, and videos, but they are already in the environment. There is no refreshing content. I have to leave my house to get something new. I can’t order something on Amazon as soon as I think about it.

The mental effects from the digital stimulation diet have been swift and significant. I noted that my sense of willpower increased. My internal dialogue has been hyperactive during the past couple of days. That has helped this project log, for I’ve been writing these log entries mentally throughout the day. One of my motivations for this project was to see if it would help me write more often. Cutting out the digital stimulation seems to help.

Even though I had some anxiety before going to bed the past two nights (usually, I assuage it with podcasts on a sleep timer), it hasn’t prevented me from falling asleep. As an aside, my dreams were extraordinarily vivid last night. I hadn’t had any alcohol or late night snacks, that would otherwise explain it. So, this is something that I will be watching.

So, what do you think? Should I keep the combination of no internet and no digital stimulation? Or should I focus on the effects of just not having the internet at home?

1 Like

8hr+/day 4x strategy (civilization etc.) and dota-like. First few months kept wanting to play but I did not bring a powerful enough computer. Programmed instead and that was much less addictive and mentally exhausting.

1 Like

Setbacks
The router keeps failing on me. The access rules keep disappearing and now it’s not assigning IP addresses properly to ethernet connections.

After our game night on Wednesday, I stayed up for another couple of hours looking at distracting websites. If the router had been working properly, access would have been shut off at 12:30AM.

Adjustments
I’ve stopped relying on the router for this project. Instead, I disconnected my house’s wifi networks on my devices and deleted the cached password. I placed the written-down password in the kitchen safe. I have more confidence in this working. My gaming PC uses ethernet coming from a powerline adapter on the wall. I unplugged the powerline adapter and placed it in the kitchen safe, as well. This will push the project back even further, making it so that the two week period will start yesterday. Annoying, sure, but this is why the project log exists. These projects are often iterative. It takes trial and error to figure out how to measure something or set up a project, but this process is often not shared in show&tell talks.

Other thoughts and observations

Even with the fits and starts of this project, one thing I’m noticing is that it encourages patience, forethought, and organization. I can’t act on many important and urgent-feeling tasks immediately because of context. So, I have to think about when I’ll be in a context where I can do them. I, then, have to make sure those tasks are in an easily accessible place when I can do them. And since time is limited, I have to prioritize.

Pretty fundamental stuff, and it’s not like I never planned anything before. But these thought processes are feeling stronger and more considerate. An issue I have is that since, normally, almost anything can be done at anytime, I delude myself into thinking that I have all day to get something done (there’s always more time…until there’s not). For me, this lead to procrastination and poor prioritization.

I wrote the following on the 15th, but didn’t upload because of weird internet connectivity issues that took forever to troubleshoot. I’ll have an update tomorrow on how it’s been since then. At this point, it will have been three weeks since my “reboot”, so on Wednesday, I’ll post an assessment of the experiment and what the future plan is.

Here’s the July 15th update:

I picked the wrong time of year for this experiment. In addition to the family emergency trip, I’ve also had a trip to the coast with my in-laws and camped with friends. The disruption of the routine has made it harder to observe what effects this change to my environment has had.

New Behaviors and Other Positives

I am noticing that when I want to look something up and realize that I can’t for another x hours, I am more frequently deciding that it’s not important, rather than putting it on a to-do list for later.

I’m noticing that I’m calmer this morning. There are three other factors that could be contributing to this. One is that I spent the weekend out in nature. Two is that I brought the camping spirit back with me and slept in a tent in my backyard last night. The third is that I’m trying this thing where I meditate every hour in increasing duration. So, one minute at 7am, two minutes at 8am, etc., up to 15 minutes at 9pm. On one hand, it could be argued that this is disrupting the experiment, rather, self-study by adding new conditions. The way I see it, though, part of the “no internet” condition is to observe what new behaviors arise. I’ve been wanting to try sleeping in my backyard to see if it helps me get up in the morning for a couple of years now (I woke up naturally at 5:45am, by the way, and felt better than I usually do), and I’ve been trying to get myself to meditate for weeks without much success. So, if I’m able to do these things, where I had difficulty before, that seems significant.

Setbacks and Difficulties

Awhile back I mentioned doing a media fast. That was useful in nudging this project forward and implementing my rules, but it was too much of a change too quickly and I could feel my brain wanting to rebel (which it did).

One issue I’m having is that my personal internet timeblock is rather short (about an hour each day) and often gets cut short. I’m finding some tasks, like ordering a prescription refill, or setting up a haircut appointment, are taking a long time to complete. However, there hasn’t been anything yet where there were negative consequences in my delay to get those internet-based tasks done.

Measurements

So far, I haven’t seen any change in anything that I can measure. My mood and PVT scores seem to be the same. My productivity isn’t any better. I’m still stress eating frequently during the day. It still feels like I’m trying to acclimate, so in a way, it feels too soon to expect changes. A significant part of this project, it seems, is the battle to implement it, which is revealing in its own right.

Other Thoughts and Observations

I talked to my mom last night about this self-study (trying the new terminology) and she noted that she had a hard time remembering what life was like before the internet. It’s an interesting observation because as far as I can tell, she is not much of a computer user. For her, the internet is her phone and Roku. Whereas most of my internet interaction is through my laptop, gaming PC and tablets (Used to be phone, but implemented restrictions last year the reduced its connectivity). A change that is significant to her is how the news used to come once a day in one package, either in the newspaper or as a 6pm broadcast, rather than the constant feed that we currently have. In some way, this project is similar in principle. I’m trying to squeeze the world back into time-bound boxes.

This post is an update on how the project went from July 15th up until now. Since I’m past the initial period that I said I was going to do this project, I’m going to write a reflection post where I will go over some data, how I felt the project went, what I learned, and what’s next. I plan on getting that up by the end of the week.

Workarounds

Some of the fun of self-studies like this is just seeing what sort of workarounds I have to come up with to get around unforeseen barriers.

I needed to print something and after a few failed tries, I realized that since my computer was not connected to the wifi, it couldn’t send the print job. I had a couple options, transfer the pdf to a flash drive or connect directly to the printer through a usb cable. In order to plug the USB cable in, I needed to open the device and snake it through the trough in the plastic. It seemed like too much hassle in the moment, so I decided to use the flash drive. I then discovered that the printer will only print jpg’s from a flash drive. I converted the pdf to a jpg so it would print. Next time, I’m going to use a usb cable.I mentioned earlier that I used a very slow e-ink Android tablet to use a web service called Readlang to read a German book. The slowness of the device got too annoying, so instead I connected my iPad mini to the hotspot on my phone. My tablet has strict internet restrictions too, so this wasn’t much of a cheat. I could, theoretically, allow my iPad to connect to the wifi while I’m home, since there is little opportunity for internet abuse. But I like the idea of using the hotspot, because it feels like a limited resource and I need to be sparing in how I use it. Also, I think it’s the case that if I put a wifi password on one Apple device, it will get shared with all the other devices, which would screw up my setup with my laptop.

Most of my devices are disconnected from the internet, but I allowed my Remarkable tablet to be connected to the internet. This is an e-ink device that I can write on, but it has a bigger screen than, say, a Kindle and is great for reading pdf’s. Although it connects to the internet, it will only download documents that I send to it. It didn’t seem worth it to come up with a workaround.

I mentioned that I let my phone connect to the internet, because it was fairly locked down. However, I did have podcasts on it. And I didn’t like that I could refresh and download new podcasts at any time. So, I pulled out an old iPod Nano and synced it with iTunes. I’ll explain in this more in my reflection post, but it’s useful to me that the content on the iPod starts feeling stale pretty quickly.

Cheats and Setbacks
While I was on Sada’s computer to help her with transferring books to her Kindle, I looked at Reddit for a little bit. However, it was limited to about 5 minutes.A couple tasks I mentioned before, ordering a prescription refill and scheduling a haircut were just not happening. So I directly connected my computer via ethernet to the router in the garage to get them done.

I mentioned earlier about camping in my backyard to see if it helped regulate my circadian rhythm. It worked well at getting me to wake up early. I consistently woke up around 5:45. However, for this to work, I needed to go to bed early, as well. But unlike camping in the woods where the gradually diminishing light led me to feel tired around 9pm, with the modern environment at my house, I was still going to bed at a later time. My sleep debt built up quite dramatically over the week. I don’t operate well with a sleep debt, so I kind of fell apart for most of the past week. I didn’t break the rules of this self-study when I was at home (which shows the tactic of forgetting the login info to the wifi networks worked well), but I was not productive and did not eat well. I packed up the tent over the weekend with some lessons learned.

End of the Observation Period & Reflections

I planned on making a comprehensive “reflection” post with my current thoughts on the project and some data analysis. It was going to be a quasi-Show&Tell presentation. That was probably a mistake. I made it too big in my mind and I kept putting it off. Instead, I’m going to add my thoughts and analysis piecemeal as I work through it.

So, how do I think this self-study went?

When I conceived of this idea, I was really interested in how I would use my newfound time from not having access to the internet. I did a similar self-study last year where I chose not to consume any digital media for a month and found that my activities changed significantly. I spent more time reading paper books and practicing guitar. In a way, it felt like my field of view widened and I noticed objects (like the guitar) that I kind of forgot were there.

However, with this project, I struggled much more with keeping to the rules. In addition to the frustration was the embarrassment in revealing the lack of self-control in the posts of this log. I know that I’m not alone in having compulsions to check the internet, but I still felt some shame about it. Most people who I told about this made a joke about me fighting myself. A thing I liked about this project is that it laid bare how true that was. It gave me a chance to think more on what it meant to fight myself, which hopefully, I’ll be able to get into tomorrow.

1 Like