Basis Notice (shutting down/discontinued)? Need alternative!

I tried the UP3 and Emfit QS alongside the Peak for sleep tracking. They were all pretty good on time to bed and waking time but when I analyzed the sleep stage categorizations I found such bad agreement that I’m forced to throw up my hands and stop trusting any non-EEG device’s ability to guess at true sleep stage.

Attached is a graphical comparison from a single representative night. Other nights I eyeballed were similar.

In the case of this night, all 3 devices agreed on sleep stage only 19% of minutes from start of sleep to final waking. Emfit agreed with UP3 44% of minutes. Peak agreed with the other 2 only 32% and 35% of minutes.

By comparison, they had reasonable agreement on just awake vs. asleep (with all 3 agreeing 73% of the night, and Emfit agreeing with UP3 88% of the night). So I’m giving up on sleep stage tracking for now.

3 Likes

BTW, the UP3 worked well enough for someone who would prefer not to wear a watch-width wrist device and go without having an actual watch face to provide any info, but I decided not to bother with it because I’d rather have alerts, time, steps, HR, and other info readable right away when desired and wearing a watch on one hand and the UP3 on the other wrist doesn’t seem worth it if it isn’t going to provide more accurate sleep tracking or some other major benefit. (I don’t mind paying a couple hundred more $ to get a watch and especially a smartwatch.)

The Emfit QS seems very interesting, even tracking HRV throughout the night. It’s so sensitive that it suffers from picking up one’s partner though (when only they are in bed and not you). I’m chatting with customer service about ways to mitigate or eliminate this problem. Some very simple fix may work (like folding the sensor in half).

Thanks Karl for posting these comparisons. Very useful!

Mikey, what Garmin widget records HR all day? Does it still let you do everything else with the device while operating? Lastly, can you export the HR data like Basis allowed? I’m playing with the Garmin Fr235 and haven’t figured out how to export any HR data yet.

I’m also playing with a Polar M600 and have found that the 3rd party Heart Rate OS app allows one to sample HR every 5min and export the data easily. Not sure why you can’t sample every minute. So far this is the only device I’ve found that lets one export 24x7 HR data the way the Basis Peak did.

Not sure yet on sleep tracking on the M600. 3rd party Sleep As Android app is often recommended, but I don’t see a setting to have it auto-detect start of sleep. Also, that app seems more focused on being a full-featured sleep related alarm clock and supporting every possible configuration of device with primary use case being using the phone itself laying on the bed. Anyone know of an Android (Wear) app more focused on passive sleep detection that works automatically?

What about embrace wristband https://www.empatica.com/e4-wristband? , BUT the price…

The BioStrap looks like the follow-up to the Amiigo. If it is, there were many problems with company producing it (you can check out the Amiigo users group on Facebook).

Anyone tried the vivoactive yet?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/538374#devices

Terrible battery life on the empatica e4 specs.

As for the Jawbone UP3 - it literally fell off my wrist while I was visiting a friend. As a dilligent QS tracker wearer, my wrist was short on space anyway but I have never had one fall off before. The clasp was regularly coming undone which was disappointing, and I actually lost it when it finally fell off while I wasn’t watching.

I’d like to also shout out to shitty magnetic charging docks which need you to balance the device rather precariously or they don’t hold contact. So many times I have left my tracker on charge only to come back and find it wasn’t charging over that time period. Sure it’s hip, but seriously, if it’s not charging - it’s not a good charging system.

Also shitty bottom-of-the-device charges so you can’t wear them while they charge.

Has anyone actually managed to get a refund from Basis yet?

I submitted my form early Dec and haven’t had any sort of confirmation… hmm… beginning to wonder whether they will hold up their side of the recall agreement.

Would love to hear if you have or haven’t!

Yes, I was able to get a refund. After submitting my request, they got back to me pretty quickly with a prepaid postage label. I received payment probably 2-3 week after I sent it back.

yes to me too. Even in Australia. They sorted it out.

I have received my refund for the B1 as well (in the Netherlands). Good service.

@Mikey_Sklar Thanks for the tip about Garmin. Do you have links to some of the widgets you are talking about?