Basis Notice (shutting down/discontinued)? Need alternative!

As many of your know, I am a long-time Basis owner/user, and my Basis B1 Carbon Steel stopped working over the weekend. I went to Basis’ website to inquire about getting a replacement but their online store is no longer active. Their website explains there is a recall with their Basis Peak devices because of overheating:

Even thought the older B1/Carbon Steel models are not effected by the overheating issues, Basis/Intel customer support is offering full refunds to any Peak/B1 owner, no questions asked. So, apparently Intel is either shutting down Basis (who they acquired a few years back), or are preparing some next-gen model so no longer wanting to support their legacy devices.

That being said, looking for suggestions for a replacement device that’s comparable to Basis (heart rate, GSR, sleep, air/skin temp, etc.). So far, I’m not impressed with any of the options out there (Fitbit, Jawbone, Apple Watch, etc.). As far as I can tell, the only device that came even close was BodyMedia, which has also been discontinued.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this! I am also a Basis (B1) lover so this could be horrible news! However, it could also be less serious and they are just developing a software update to fix it. Until then, they might not be allowed (or want) to sell more watches and also they are committed to offer refunds.

I still think Mybasis is the best watch as well. So, I would be also interested in alternatives.

Thats a real shame. Although my Basis Peak & app.mybasis.com is still working for me (I’m still using it despite the warning…)

I’d be the same mindset - I don’t see anything else that comes as full featured as the Basis yet. Would be very interested in others opinions on a replacement.

BTW - has anyone else had problems download their data from the website? Your PHP scripts haven’t been working for me for the last 2-3 months.

I’m in the same camp as others – Definitely like having the temperature and gsr data which sets it apart…

Not super surprisingly, but I just noticed that Amazon has taken then Basis Peak down from their website. I was thinking of sending back the one I just got and seemed to have a defective screen but am now worried I won’t have a different place to buy a replacement…

Justin, have you downloaded the latest version of my Basis export script? They made some changes to user authentication a few months back that was causing the script to fail. It’s been working fine for me as of this morning.

That they are giving refunds for the B1 is extraordinary. I stopped using mine a while ago because it didn’t pick up steps on my treadmill desk (so steps data were no good), and the consensus seemed to be that the HR data was unreliable. The only good data that it got was skin temperature then? Also my straps kept falling apart, even the replacement one that Bob generously gave me. :slight_smile:

Bob - I have a Basis that I stopped using. I’m not sure which version, but it’s post-Intel. If you might want it, please write to me at edyson@edventure and I can send you an image etc. I’m not trying to auction it off, just trying to find its rightful owner.

1 Like

Anyone has more in depth understanding of Intel’s strategy with Basis?
I have that overall feeling that Intel bought basis for its staff, IP or some other asset, but not to really keep making Basis’s type of products.
This overheating situation is a good example where they have a well defined problem but are doing nothing to fix it.
This has been my general feeling every time I reached out to them, pointing out various problems with B1 and Peak. Those problems are still around after well over a year and they never showed any interest about them.
I find it sad as this means those products are going to disappear in not too long and I still haven’t found an equivalent competitor product. Plus it impacts the data to have to change a data collection tool, and limits the amount of comparative analysis that can be done.
I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Hi Bob, apologies for (very late!) reply - all working good now :slight_smile:

Just downloading everything before I send back my Basis. Thanks again so much for these scripts, been a massive help!

1 Like

I had some e-mail exchanges with them and I am using my B1 until the end of the year before returning it. There is no deadline for returning it but they recommend (of course) to return it as soon as possible.

I am also sad that from 1 January 2017 I have to change to a new watch to use as a data collection tool, and indeed, in my opinion there are no great alternatives. The Fitbit Charge 2 seems good, but you need the premium access to do something with the data. I don’t like that but there are no good alternatives, anyone disagrees?

1 Like

I agree that I also couldn’t find anything to replace B1 (my favorite Basis product) or Peak. Everything else seems to be a step down from there with the Fitbit Charge as “the least bad”.

NeuroOn is an interesting option but not as easy to use as a wristband (for me).
Bed based sensors (Beddit3, RestOn) might be worst revisiting as the technology/software is probably now more accurate but I am a bit hesitant to gamble on another device after so many others that failed me.

The most likely path I see so far is using an Apple watch and developing an app for it with the criteria of interest. It has all the sensors of interest and (from my angle) all that I need are data from those sensors. But it means I need to learn how to develop iOS app, so still looking for an alternate so far. :wink:

I have been using a Beddit sensor for a while (v1 then v2). I have a Beddit 3 on order. They have been improving the software and have added hardware improvements for v3. For sleep experiments I still prefer the Zeo supplemented with position and heart rate.
I heard that Apple dropped the developer fee for apps created for personal use only.

2 Likes

I have a Beddit v1 and have been reluctant to try their later versions as I found the hardware cumbersome to use and the heart rate reading unreliable.
How did v2 compare vs v1? From the prospectus it looks like v3 is much easier to use so I would love to hear your feedback once you get it.

I am looking at the polar m600. there’s not a lot out there and I never liked how fitbit handled sleep graphing anyway.

The Biostrap looks promising (and is shipping in December) - https://biostrap.com/

They claim to offer HR (using PPG sensor), HRV (when at rest), SPO2, respiration rate, and sleep analysis. There is also a secondary sensor that clips to your shoe to assist with exercise/activity tracking. Unfortunately, they won’t be offering API access at launch. :rage: When I asked about opening up API access, they replied “No, we don’t plan opening up our API on at launch. Likely something we can do in the future with enough customer requests.”

2 Likes

This seems to be a round watch very much like the Basis. Auto tracking of activity and sleep. Anyone try it?
http://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-hs/health-programs/health-watch

I made a table to compare Basis Peak replacement options.

I’m most concerned with good sleep tracking (including phases) and 24x7 HR with data exportable. (I used QuantifiedBob’s scripts to get the Basis data.) But I also appreciate the simple smartwatch features of alerts and music controls.

Several of the alternatives seem to have the promise of maybe being able to get at the data through APIs of their respective app ecosystems. Those that are Android Wear (eg, Polar M600) in particular seem to have things like Heart Rate OS already available (and still under continuing development/improvement). I haven’t dived down into those details yet, but this quote is promising, “Heart Rate OS can be configured to monitor your HR 24/7 at intervals with averages of your choice and sync that to google fit.” Android Wear seems like it’d probably be easier to develop for and/or at least be more likely to be long-lived than Garmin or Pebble’s development ecosystems. Not sure about the M600’s sleep tracking out-of-the-box, but I’m hopeful Android Wear 3rd-party apps might help if needed.

The Philips Health Watch got some love from one reviewer on one of the Basis website’s own replacement rec threads but seemed lacking to me vs. the other options for various reasons, like no smart-watch features, but more importantly because of no functionality-extending app ecosystem, and most importantly there seem to be many reports saying the automatic sleep tracking wasn’t working (on the top Google review and on Amazon). Also not so waterproof.

It’s nice that the Jawbone UP3 has the extra sensors the way the Basis Peak does (which I presume both used for more accurate sleep analysis), and many reports suggest it is better at sleep than most of the others, so I’m testing that now.

There are also a host of sleep-only alternatives that could be used in addition to a worn activity tracker. There also seem to be many papers scientifically validating the under-matttress approach to sleep analysis (Beddit, Aura, etc.), even comparing favorably to standard EEG. The Emfit QS in particular seems to have the highest quality sensor in the category of devices you install in your room and then they track sleep automatically without needing you to do anything, good enough to even do HRV during sleep. It also has the best Amazon reviews of any of the sleep trackers I’ve found. I might try that out.

There is also a small spearhead of headband consumer EEG devices (Neuroon, Sleep Shepherd Blue), notable as being the first true potential heirs to the Zeo. Both are worn on the head and both actually do EEG and so theoretically should be able to tell sleep state the same way as a the gold standard sleep study. Both appear from reviews to have some usability issues that makes them far from universally loved, so maybe they aren’t ready for prime time, but OTOH a lot of people seem to really like them. They both also do a few other things to help make sleep better rather than just passively track.

It’s also worth knowing that there are a bunch of not-consumer-targeted but rather doctor-ordered (only, I think) devices that are supposed to be sort of home-based alternatives to going into a sleep lab. They are not cheap and don’t seem easy to buy or compare, but here’s an interesting link on them.

I never did flesh out every cell in my table, but I’m hoping some combination of UP3, M600, and/or Emfit QS might end up being better than the Peak.

1 Like

I have had the polar M600 for two days. It basically has no sleep tracking I think it has start/end time duration tracking of sleep. The HR tracking is only when you tell it “I am exercising” and with that feature turned on (without GPS, because with GPS the battery is worse) it seems that the battery lasts about 24 hours. (who put a GPS into a watch! Such a bad idea!)

This has basically no battery life. I assume this is because android wear is one hell of a big feature to support.

My dream device is to have a HUD display on my watch of my HR at all times as well as logging that number. Polar does not have heart rate unless you turn on “this is a workout”. On the plus side that can be left on at all times. On the down side it gives it a 24 hour or less battery.

So far the other wear features seem useless. I have used google now a few times more than I would have otherwise done. But if I didn’t have it I would be opening apps on my phone with my fingers. Not much of an upgrade IMO.

I am considering returning it or selling it because it just doesn’t do what I want. No sleep tracking, no ongoing HR data, and no battery life. (and no GSR but nothing has GSR)

Going to look for an android wear app that can do sleep or HR tracking. But with such a rubbish battery life it’s hardly worth the effort to consider making it work for me.

I am posting to advise maybe looking elsewhere than the m600.

@Elo - I’ve been suffering through my girlfriend owning the Polar A300. The syncing, phone app and menu settings seem to be a pretty unstable state for a shipping product.

I too am interested in having continuous heart rate tracking. The Garmin Vivoactive HR has been the best solution at only $200 with a decent battery life (I charge it twice a week). The SDK is friendly enough and includes HR examples plus there are some existing widgets already recording HR all day.

I am also looking for a replacement. Has anyone looked into the Withings Steele HR as an alternative (even though it’s technically not out yet)? I’m not really impressed with Withings API, but I’m wondering if their Apple Health Integration might allow for some good exports. I also love the comparison table @kpfleger. Thanks for sharing.