Blood Pressure Monitoring During Sleep

Are there at home blood pressure monitors that work while someone is sleeping? This seems fairly straightforward, but the only product I could find was the Omron Nightview. And I couldn’t find it available for purchase.

Larger purpose, I have low BP/tachycardia. It’s confounded by my stress from having ADD/EF/processing issues that require medications that seem to drive this imbalance. Unfortunately, exercise/therapy don’t help enough for me to alter my medication regimens. So every day is a difficult balancing act of over five factors. :confused: Trying any treatment option requires monitoring a ridiculous array of variables.

Hi @Whomovedthecat — what you are asking about is the holy grail of BP monitoring, but there is no commercial device offering this that I’m aware of. The Omron HeartGuide is the result of years of research into this prospect, and as you’ll see from the product specs it is does not do automatic measurement. You have to trigger the device, hold it in a certain position, etc. I talked with the Omron execs a few years ago, when they were still hoping that they would get this product to work in a fully automatic mode, but it’s clear from what they released that they couldn’t get there.

I sympathize with the complexity of your situation. I’ve been managing my arrhythmia medication through self-tracking for over a year and may have some ideas that can help, but will keep this reply to the direct question you asked for now.

1 Like

I came here to mention the HeartGuide as well, but didn’t realize it didn’t have an automatic function.

The Omron Nightview is interesting. Couldn’t find it for sale in the US - maybe it’s a legal / approval type of situation? I’d also like to buy it.

I do see it for purchase in the UK here: https://www.wms.co.uk/wms/en/GBP/Blood-Pressure-and-ABPM/Digital-Blood-Pressure-Machines/Omron-NightView-Automatic-Silent-Wrist-BP-Monitor/p/W6966

You could use a postal forwarding service like www.forward2me.com to purchase it.

1 Like

Fascinating. I also just did a pretty thorough search and there’s no US version yet. @Whomovedthecat— I’ll be very curious to know how it goes, if you try it.

Check out the Aktia

My friend got it after his blood pressure spiked with COVID. He tried everything with moderate results and found that pacticing paced breathing using the paced breathing app on Android with 3 second inhales 1 second pauses and gradually longer exhales made a tremenous difference. He does the inhale with a double suck kind of like sucking he learnd watching Andrew Huberman.

Here is the free version of the paced breathing app which is suffucient
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details

I just started playing around with it myself for calmness. Its still too early to tell what it might do for me. I am more interested in calmness and some heart related issues.

2 Likes

The Aktia would absolutely great to have, if it works. I’ve been very much wanting to see my nighttime blood pressures. It seems not to be available in the US.

Beacon Biosignals has now acquired the Dreem system for monitoring sleep states and as of Oct 1 access to data from the Dreem 2 headband which monitors sleep states nearly as effective as professional sleep lab will no longer be available for individuals. Sigh!

Feels like the the days when Zeo died a number of years back. When that happened some really talented people at Quantified Self produced an Android app that allowed us to continue using the Zeo device. I wonder if there is any interest in doing the same for the Dreem 2 headband.

1 Like

I would definitely look at this. Additionally, I would like to buy a TENS company that has FDA approval, That nis tired of the business now that Medicare stopped reimbursement. Marc

You can join discord Dreemers where we are trying to figure out what to do with dreem now) Also Muse S have sleep tracking and might be not far in accuracy from dreem, i’m going to compare it soon with my current EEG devices. P.S. my dreem 2 devices still working and i can see my nights in app.