Brakeout: The Future of Behaviour Change

How quantified self tools will impact behaviour change interventions (from health to sustainability and education) in the near future? What critical features we’re missing to enter the future of behaviour change with QS?

Thank you for everyone who came to the session. I feel we started some very interesting discussion on what critical features are missing in order to enter the future of behaviour change (enabled by QS). Here is a rough summary of points we discussed and brainstormed:

1. The major reoccurring theme is a lack of robust and reliable feedback to user/client; this new model of feedback would incorporates such concepts as:
    [list]
    []narratives,
    [
    ]actionable advice on specific consequences of behaviour,
    [*]personalised, rapid and relevant-only data visualisation with moving averages
    [/list]

2. We are missing a long-term user engagement with wearables and apps (although we might only need short term engagement for many behaviour change interventions).

3. We need data bank of personal analytics would enable better generalisation and evaluation of results for larger-scale interventions

4. Problem of psychological resistance in the groups that is not motivated to use wearables/self-monitoring - how to bypass it?

5. Problem of passive/active self-monitoring - in which cases those two models are relevant?

6. Openness of wearable hardware platforms to enable better reliability and validity of measurements (especially relevant for those of us who do science with those trackers) .

7. We focus on exploratory side, its important we start moving towards more explanatory/predictive model.

8. There are so many models of behaviour change, but maybe we need a another one developed specifically for the QS self-tracking/feedback context.

Feel free to add more if I missed something. If you want to chat outside forums my contact details can be found on my personal website: motioninsocial.com