Calling all researchers, developers, and mental health professionals to join our team!

Call for co-researchers on open health well-being tracking, own crowd-funding. This project aims to develop an open-source expert system for mental health monitoring in high-stress jobs. The system will collect data on communication, routines, and bio-metrics to provide personalized support to individuals. It will also be used for research and collaboration among researchers and developers.

1 Like

I like it

1 Like

Thank you, Michael!

1 Like

Dear all, we have a campaign ongoing that could benefit from your input on what metrics to track in order to prevent and redress (mental) health issues: Designing an Open-source Expert System for Mental Health: A Research and Development Initiative | Experiment

That includes solitude, restlessness, activity or lack thereof, range of actions on tracking to monitor if the person is showing stereotypical movements and limited action range / locking itself inside the house or barely going out. Potentially also helping if the person gets lost during a period of breaking down or being confused due to any issue to be determined: threats, spiking, drugs taken, exhaustion. We want to tackle the bio and sociometrics, including social contagion, that can indeed be easily quantified. Even typing patterns can tell a lot, and also be used to call authorities once the input is alarming in any urgent way.

It is an academic project, we aim to reach to clinicians to develop in safe environments to test the implementation of any developments. Input on what to prioritize from this community of self-experimenters would be wonderful at this early stage. Please join in in any capacity if you wish. The campaign launches the fourth of July. I am sure there are many ways the well-being can be tracked that are meaningful, despite usually considering it outside the quantifiable.

The goal is to end up the two years project with open source soft and hardware power tools for the clinical and research community. Obviously also available to anyone who wishes to use those on his / her / their own. These resources are currently lacking and very seldomly used in psychiatric care, social services and any other place where they would should be implemented already. Tracking activity and sleep via easily adaptable open technologies is a must, for starters. Looking forward to all input.

1 Like

Thanks for the open invite!

It doesn’t look like there’s any way to reach out to the leading members of this effort. Our nonprofit has built a platform for storing data for researchers, academics, and others that empower end-users to retain data ownership.

It’s a big deal for many people, especially in the QS space as you’ll find by reading the forums here. People don’t want to indefinitely give up the right to their own creations. But they do want to help. That’s why our nonprofit exists and does what it does.

I’d like to connect to the leaders of your effort and see if our founder and data foundation can help you achieve your research and long-term clinical goals without having to reinvent the wheel, worry about data security and storage, and other nuances of data and user management.

Please let me know if you’d be interested or feel free to reach out directly: Research Data Collection » Live Learn Innovate Foundation

Dear Riann, thank you! I filled the form confirming we are interested. You can email me at research@enricgarcia.md, I will send invites to join in the project at experiment.com as part of the team to anyone you point to, and to yourself. Truly important not to reinvent the wheel, indeed data protection is of paramount importance here as in all ehealth projects. Thanks again.

2 Likes

I would imagine an expert system would need to deal with at least some of the following: Finding relations between variables in time series - Personal Science Wiki Which do you expect to have solved and how?

Thank you for the link and input. I fully agree and cannot wait for such complete analysis tool.

To begin with it could be much easier than such system, and it will have to be, as a humble first step. We don’t strive to develop mathematical models yet. A decision aid / making system, yes: the variables are mostly known and not that the essential data not that hard to collect. Reaching the stage in which both effective open hardware and software is made available that can do this bare basic, will be already one massive step in the right direction. Open source both, to allow improvements and having power tools easily adapted by scientists, us (self) researchers, practitioners.

Variable wise, in a simple system, once certain threshold is reached the system can ring an alarm for human intervention. What would be such X in the time series? Many things are known to be pointing straight at the need for looking in more depth at the situation: less than X number of hours of sleep in a row, or frequently not getting enough quality sleep. That could be triggering an intervention straight away, if the system was in place both in data collection and medical / research (in this case we work on research, to develop without the burden of stricter licensing, and open source to allow users to implement and improve on their own). Allostatic loads in the cognitive side of our physiology, without forgetting it is part of that interplay of a bodily system that needs to be holding as well. We can get into desperado mode and out of our minds for a high fever and [ enter the social knowns, be it a deadline or similar ]. Such can be very useful, I do see it as a major improvement once we reach destination on current psychiatric practice.

Same with many other issues and potential scenarios. Multivariate will be wonderful, and I look forward to the models. Since I am reaching to many research groups, I do hope in the future we can have something theoretical and an expert system that does rely on this kind of regression full on. Take more off the art to the science side of medical practice. I do not buy into mental health not being fully quantifiable, it is, our cognition resilience has its limits and those can be measured by biometrics and sociometrics. It is a work ongoing, and this is bare basic first steps on our own project. First is getting feedback on what to develop first.

I do hope we reach somewhere with this project. It is a long term one. Nowadays a patient reaches the breaking point, it risks a diagnosis that hides all contributors into an alleged genetic cause even in depression, which does contribute to a generalized attitude that leads to despair, giving up and chronification. It is indeed way better to work as you say, searching relations between all variables in the life story time series. We could get all lost in naming clusters of symptoms and descriptors, officially in DSM or not, and searching to no end the polygenic source of any alleged condition. The solutions require wising up, and solving the real problems that give rise to any problem, breaking point, downward turn, and help spring back into health as optimal condition. Even the notion that mental health is bare being OK is problematic, I would go full in with such models striving for optimal cognitive functioning.

2 Likes

I am quite interested. It is not clear what biosignals, user data or other raw data that you want to use. Marc

Easy ones to begin with, manual entering, API and hopefully at some point via a betterment of PineTime or similar via open hardware also in the project to-do. The list is motion (movement tracking for range and activities, falls detection as well, steps count), exertion (sitting, exercise detection), sleep, and communications (number of contacts, sentiment analysis, style as a sign of distress as well as contents). The list can and does go on. It needs prioritization, most likely also considering the ease in which each will be implemented, not only how valuable. I hope privacy will not be an issue at all, as many of these are indeed in clinical practice. It is wonderful Riann proposed a data safety solution in his above comment, indeed we should not reinvent the wheel, and as open source we can work on top of other solutions while also offering any and all developments to the community.

Then there is the eye movements, facial recognition, all pragmatics and signals one can read from other sources also nowadays easy to gather for exhaustion detection, etcetera. This as a package can be a powerful tool. The two years time frame proposed is too short, unless we boost the funding. Happy to team up, Marc, to make it happen properly.

1 Like

To join in or endorse, please send me your email. Mine are research@enricgarcia.md / enricgarcia@uoc.edu (Google), will be thrilled to collaborate in any capacity. My scientific research is on mental health, yet my own interest is in top acuity and cognitive performance, open and participatory science, better ways of undertaking applied research.

1 Like

@Enric Garcia Torrents
Allostatic load research is important for two reasons:

1. People usually do not predict even the medium-term consequences of today’s stress and the devastating health consequences in a few years
    (chronic fatigue syndrome, professional burnout and many psychosomatic diseases, damage to mental health, huge financial damage).
    It takes decades of life to understand the effects of allostatic load.
    I realized this too late and I had little time left. Everything has been tested on myself and in observations of others.

2. Monitoring sources of stress, analysis of consequences, response plan, everything needs to be done in a timely manner.
    The theory of stress management does not work well. Life is separate, theory is separate.

I am trying to classify the sources of stress and create a stress journal in order to plan to minimize the damage from stress in the shortest possible time and in a timely manner.
The stress log started in March 2024 and is still in development. The first attempts were not very successful, but the work continues.

The first positive results of such accounting:

• Turning off all channels for receiving stressful information or limiting time for familiarization (my limit is 15 minutes per day), including the Internet.
    Just the facts. Verifiable facts need to be quickly filtered from propaganda.
    The degree of information-psychological damage to a person is quantitatively measured by the time devoted to the information channel.
    I observe in real life that people who devote 1-2 hours daily to a propaganda channel become inadequate.
    and this is the same powerful source of stress.

• Focusing on solving priority problems and finding quick solutions, what I urgently need to do now and how to do it (increased sleep on a 24-hour shift from 1 hour to 5-6 hours and life became much easier).

I am not interested in the academic aspect and scientific career, I am interested in the practical usefulness of the methods today and in real time.
I did not find any useful applied research on this topic. I didn’t find any useful academic studies.
I assume that Enric Garcia Torrents is following the right strategic path, but I need urgent solutions.
Maybe my micro-projects will be a contribution to the common cause, or maybe not.

1 Like