Cognition/Mood/Anxiety Tracking

I’ve scrolled the past year’s worth of posts and couldn’t see anything on this topic. Perhaps because the science and available tools just don’t match up yet.

I was wondering if anyone has thought about, is thinking about or is interested in thinking about ways to improve understanding and mapping a mix of cognitive/mood and anxiety symptoms to biochemical abnormalities to help drive improved interventions?

I have a mix of ADD (with sig EF deficits VIQ/PIQ discrepancy), mood and anxiety issues that don’t map neatly to lifestyle and other interventions. My frustration is that there are not yet biomarkers to help guide interventions, which I feel is helpful once you have a combination of symptoms that are non-traditional. I’ve done 23andme raw genetic data analysis and at one point a QEEQ, but not clear data indicating reliability of adapting these to solutions.

My goal is to get the biochemical support in place where I could keep to better lifestyle interventions, but that has been an elusive goal at times :(. Even with medication/exercise/therapy, I still struggle to leverage and benefit from lifestyle interventions.

Anyone have any reflections/thoughts on this? Are there any neurointerfaces or use of QEEG that could reliably help? The cognitive tests help identify a phenotype, but don’t help narrow down what biochemical abnormality to address.

maybe relevant:
https://wiki.openhumans.org/wiki/Tools_to_survey_symptoms_and_states
https://wiki.openhumans.org/wiki/Talk:Lab_Tests

1 Like

One place to start might be with active tracking/self-assessment to guide interventions. For instance, a single score in the evening, perhaps on just a 3 point scale: How focused was I able to be today. This is a crude measurement, but over time it may prove useful to have a long term measure. There are many other approaches, but in my experience a project that begins with a simple measurement has a better chance of succeeding and producing useful discoveries that a project that begins with complex, cutting edge equipment. In the latter case, an awful lot of energy goes into troubleshooting the equipment rather than reasoning about the phenomenon.

1 Like

Thanks. I have thoughts on scales. I was hoping there were more biomarkers to use because often times phenotype really doesn’t map clearly to existing interventions.

I don’t know if there’s strong correlation, but Garmin uses HRV to deduce stress levels. I would think that stress and anxiety has a lot to do with serotonin levels, and hence mood.

Really looking forward to something that measures serotonin, or some better work on HRV

Stress levels would be a good measure or you can measure serotonin levels, there are a few companies doing at-home test kits. I can have a chat with one of our in house nurses to see if you’d like?

I didn’t realize there was at home testing for serotonin now, but I searched and found several options. (For instance: https://www.labme.ai/products/at-home-neurotransmitter-test/.) Has anybody tried these? Maith, if you have, I’m very curious what you’ve learned!