EEG monitoring for ADD/ADHD?

NYT just put out an article about an EEG device that can diagnose ADHD.

This lead me to search for some literature relating to experiments on EEG on children with ADHD (most behind a pay wall :@ ). The gist is that children with ADHD produce excess brainwaves in the lower frequency bands (e.g, theta frequency, 4-8 Hz) compared to the higher frequency bands such as alpha (8-12 Hz) and beta (15-35 Hz).

I was diagnosed with ADD as a child. It occurs to me to use one of my EEG devices to monitor my ratio of theta to alpha or beta (although these results were only found for children). Has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Seems like a solution looking for a problem? On the other hand there have been several studies that used “neurofeedback” training to treat ADHD (see e.g. http://bio-medical.com/download/controlled_ADHD_NF_study.pdf). Doesn’t look like it’s a miracle treatment.

1 Like

Perhaps it is enough to monitor and be aware of it. For example, certain diets are said to exacerbate ADD, sounds like a hypothesis for good QS experiment.

Hey Robert,

I’m not an expert on ADHD, but I’d be happy to help you collect/analyse some data! There are definitely many aspects of EEG that might be worth tracking, but there’s not a lot of (accessible) tools out there to properly analyse it. As for looking at the data: there’s a wealth of possibilities to look at the raw data. As for tracking: At the moment your best option is to have someone write a small script to analyze single recordings (raw data) to spit out a few numbers that you can then put in an Excel sheet.
When considering buying a device there are tons of options. At the moment my pick is op-innovations.com, but I’m also anxiously waiting for the MUSE to ship.
Feel free to ask here, if you need me to help with a particular question!

Best,
Martin

Thanks Martin,
I have a couple of the op-innovations devices and I’ve done some tinkering. I managed to import the data into R. So far I’ve been focusing on the accelerometer data, only recently have I tried working with the EEG data. I expect that I’ll do some kind of transformation of the data into some ratio of high and low frequency bands, though haven’t yet figured out how or if its even feasible with this device. To my surprise I’m finding I have to apply algorithms I thought were specific to financial models. I’m skeptical of EEG devices, especially the more light weight -fewer electrode - no-goo-required versions (I sometimes wonder if Necomimi’s software is just a random number generator). Soon I’ll know if that skepticism is warranted. That said I paid for my Muse too and I’m also eagerly awaiting shipment.

[quote=“Robert_Ness, post:5, topic:671”]
I have a couple of the op-innovations devices and I’ve done some tinkering. I managed to import the data into R. [/quote]
AWESOME! :smiley:

[quote=“Robert_Ness, post:5, topic:671”]
So far I’ve been focusing on the accelerometer data, only recently have I tried working with the EEG data. I expect that I’ll do some kind of transformation of the data into some ratio of high and low frequency bands, though haven’t yet figured out how or if its even feasible with this device. [/quote]
If you send me an email, I’ll hook you up with a good resource how to do this in Matlab really quickly via dropbox. (It’s probably similar for R, once you have the code.) my full name with a dot in the middle at gmail dot com
What you’d normally do is take a recording and do a fourier tranformation. Then you pick a range of frequencies (eg. 8-10 Hz) and calculate the average bandpower in that range. You arrive at a single value for each band that you look at. This is something you could be tracking. This is a graphic that shows where to find the different frequency bands in the spectrum:

Then you can also look for peaks in your fourier transformed data! The alpha, beta etc frequency bands were defined because you can observe distinct peaks in the oscillatory activity in these ranges. Look at the distinct peaks in the following depiction of an averaged spectrogram:

These local maxima vary. For example, if you’re getting tired or if you’re suffering from burn-out, you’ll find a lower peak in the beta range. You can find these maxima in your frequency plot and track them, too.

As for recording the data: try to have a fixed task that you’re doing while recording, and different tasks can have very diffent responses, and movement makes a lot of difference.
For example measure every day on your way to work or implement a meditation routine into your day and measure while meditating. (Although the latter wound of course introduce meditation exercise effect as a confounder into your data.)

It might also be important to find some subjective measure of how well you can focus, using a mobile app or a pocket diary (pocketmod.com)

You could also use a battery of tasks on quantified-mind.com WHILE you’re measuring. (Mind that you can set markers with the op-innovations device to signal on and offset of tasks.) If you ask the people who run the site, they will be happy to help you to conduct an experiment and put together the tests you need for you.

Me too! Note however, that the op-innovations device uses reusable gel-patches for EEG recordings.
http://op-innovations.com/en/gelpad
Ingenious if you ask me. The only thing you might add to the silver plated electrodes is an AgCl coating. (btw that’s easily done with clean silver(-plated) electrodes, some salt water and a 9V battery, I’ve done it before, works like a charm!)

please, please, test this! :smiley: I’ve been suspecting this for years, now that there’s someone with some R knowledge, this must be tested! My bet is definitly on total entropy!

Martin thanks for this! I’ll post here with my results.

[quote=“Martin_Sona, post:6, topic:671”]
The only thing you might add to the silver plated electrodes is an AgCl coating. (btw that’s easily done with clean silver(-plated) electrodes, some salt water and a 9V battery, I’ve done it before, works like a charm!)[/quote]

Can you elaborate?

Please do that, I’m eager to see what you find out!

Yes. The following is taken from:
Rechloriding & Storing Grass Ag/AgCl Electrodes(http://www.grasstechnologies.com/knowledgebase/sterile7.html)

[font=Courier]Rechloriding the Electrode

1. Thoroughly clean the silver surface electrodes of tarnish and dirt. Scouring powder or silver cleaner may be used.
  2. Place the electrode in an opaque non-metallic container with 5% salt (NaCl) solution.
  3. Connect the electrode to be chlorided in the (+) positive terminal of a 1.5 volt battery and the other electrode to the (-) negative terminal. Use a 100 ohm resister in series with the electrode.
  4. The chloriding electrode darkens, while the other bubbles. Continue until the darkened surface is evenly coated.

Storing the Ag/AgCl Electrodes
To preserve the chlorided surface when not in use, it is recommended that the electrodes be stored in a salt solution, such as a sterile saline solution. If desired, it is possible to add 0.1% Zepherin Chloride as an anti-bacterial agent[/font]

This image is taken from: http://www.gtec.at/Support-Offer/FAQ/Tips

AFAIK you don’t need a silver plate for the cathode side. Just see to it that you don’t use anything that could contain even minute amounts of chromium under any circumstances, ever. (Like stainless steel.) Depending on what you use and how you hook it up, it might leak hexavalent chromium into the water, very toxic. You’ll probably have good results with graphite (eg. from a pencil) or titanium (spork?).
If this left things unclear, I can maybe make a youtube video or something.

Best,
Martin

Hi Martin,
Thanks very much for this. This will be my project this weekend. Is this approach just best practices for long term maintenance, or could one expect a significant increase in s/n ratio from the TrueSense Kit’s EEG?

My guess is that you’ll see some actual increase in SNR in the lower frequencies, but I can’t say for sure, my electrodes are still shiny silver…
It has less to do with maintenance than with how metal interacts with the ions of your (salty) skin and the signal distortion this creates. (Buildup of electrons on the electrode-skin interface blabla… Don’t ask me for details, because I’ll look them up and it’ll take me hours to come to a complete answer. :slight_smile: )

dear all,
we did experimented with AgCl coating (as compared to Ag plating), and decided to go with Ag. The primary reason being Ag offers much better durability. Also, with preformed electrodes and gelpads (or Tensive for using with dry electrodes), we did not see much S/N differences between AgCl vs. Ag. Even though the skin-contact-potential should be less for AgCl (but not that much), it’s the balancing (or canceling) between the 2 electrodes that creates any residual offset, and so long as that offset is stable (AC-coupling is used) it doesn’t affect actual S/N. Of course this is only true for truly balanced (differential) system used in TrueSense, and NOT true in other EEG system that’s NOT truly differential system.
Cheers,

Hi,

A Mac application Vitamin-R included a connection to the Neurosky Mindwave hardware EEG based attention and meditation signals. I don’t see it currently listed in the Neurosky store, so that approach may not have panned out.
http://www.publicspace.net/Vitamin-R/mindwave.html

Given all the confounding signals, monitoring focus is a challenge. Probably like trying to follow a good conversation in a loud restaurant. An approach is to try and eliminate all the offending signals/stimuli. Maybe the EEG signal can be used to identify the sources of distraction and reduce them by correlating EEG with other information from the user environment.

Good luck