EventLoggers.com - my Whole Life Logging solution that uses Google Home/Assistant

Hi Everyone, I’ve decided to open up my personal data tracking web app to the public. It has a few unique features including:

• Logging for the whole family
  • Fairly robust Voice Logging via Google Home/Assistant
  • Fine-grained data export
  • Dashboards for Daily Events, Activities, Health and Wellness, Foods, Beverages

I’ve included a few screenshots of my actual data below. We also use it to chart our kids’ health and symptoms/incidents.

Please try it out and let me know how I can make it more useful. EventLoggers.com

PS. It uses Google account linking for signing in because Google Assistant requires it for Voice Logging, so I thought I’d kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If that infuriates you, please let me know.

Youtube demo video for using Google Home/Assistant to log events - https://youtu.be/iXEiNHjddtI

4 Likes

I like the timeline charting and premade setups for kinds of logging.

Is there a way to add other log types or log items, like adding a section for drugs/medicine/supplements, or having social thngs as its own section to have different kind of social events logged?

From what I can see, it is only manual logging. I (and all my family) use fitness tracker that detects sleep and activities, heart rate etc. It would be very neat if there was room for such things (via API or so).

Just a few thoughts if you aim to build it out :slight_smile: For me, automation is key to get things tracked over several years.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Frenik.

Regarding medicines and such: I break it down into medications or supplements. So, you can say to Google Home, “I took two tylenol at 3pm today” and it’ll get logged as medication. Or “I took 200 milligrams of Vitamin C at 10pm yesterday” and it’ll get logged as a supplement.

We also log symptoms and health incidents. Here’s a partial list of the list of symptoms (listed on the left) and the their synonyms that Google Home will recognize and equate them to:

and here’s a list of the health incidents:

(When we log an incident or symptom we also use a severity scale to note how serious it is.)

Here’s a standard comparison page where I’ve chosen to compare medications and symptoms (you can do this with any 2 types of Events).

The first cluster is a lingering cough and cold at the end of 2018. The second tighter cluster is a nasty sinus infection - I never had one of those before and it was crazy - I was popping 6 - 8 tylenol a day for a while there. Just getting over it now.

I’m not sure which definition of “social things” you mean. Like, logging how much time you spend on social media or out with friends? There is a “Leisure” category with Events for Family Time, watching (broken down into tv episodes/movies/online videos), reading, listening, web surfing and a generic “socializing” Event as well. If you tell me more about what you envision, I’d definitely consider adding it.

Yes, it’s all manual logging now, though I’m trying to make it as easy and quick as possible by using Google Home to log. We have one in the kitchen and one upstairs so it’s pretty easy to log most things without having to stop what we’re doing or reach for a phone.

I definitely agree that automating Event logging as much as possible is key. I wear a Fitbit and I definitely want to automate the collection of a bunch of its data - the sleep summary data is especially interesting to me. But it’s a lot of work to integrate with their API on a scalable basis, so I probably won’t tackle that until I see there’s interest in it.

Up til now, my philosophy has been to focus on the things that aren’t easily automated and to make it as easy as possible for people to log those things so they don’t get lost. But hearing you confirm the importance of automation makes me think I should move the fitbit API integration higher up on my “road map”.

Thanks again for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Dean

1 Like

Hi Dean,

I know this is an old thread but just joined this forum and found this interesting and useful.

Your tool is awesome and you saved me a lot of time because I was looking into building it. Let me ask you this: do you have any APIs exposed for automatic export of all data logged? I envision some API which will return data (by date or some other filter criteria) in the form of one or more csv files which I can then feed into my favorite statistical analysis platform (or write my own modules using something like python pandas)? If you don’t yet have something like this, it might be a useful feature. Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Anoop

I’m glad you find EventLoggers.com useful.

There’s no API to export data but there is this page: https://eventloggers.com/download-my-events (you need to be logged in).

It’s very basic but it does export an Excel (csv) file. If that gets you close to what you need and you need the export format/columns tweaked, just let me know.

There are some basic stats available on the site but I totally understand wanting to have more flexible/customizable options for analysis.

I would love to incorporate more flexible/customizable options for members to do their own analysis online but I’m afraid that both my statistical abilities and knowledge of statistical software is very limited.

That said, I’m currently building a correlation matrix for Fitbit and RescueTime data that is imported into EventLoggers.com - I’m hoping that I can generalize it more to be of use in more cases but I’m not sure I’ll get there…

Anyhow, please let me know if I can be of any help,
Dean

Hi @dreeds I’m working on a roundup of evidence and data about using simple self-measurement to predict sickness onset. For this, I want to see if anybody in the QS community has seen evidence of elevated resting HR before other symptoms show up. I think this would be visible in your EventLogger journal, if it occurred. Have you seen this in your own data?

Hi Gary, I’m not sure about my data but I’ll check tomorrow. However, that correlation is most likely in my son’s data…

He’s three and has asthma and a history of pneumonia and febrile seizures. Basically, he tends to not be able to shake a cold, it worsens into respiratory issues and often progresses to pneumonia. And he’s had a few seizures that are triggered by fever (root cause is usually an infection), so my wife Christine takes his heart rate and Sp02 most evenings.

She’s convinced that if his heart rate is elevated, it’s a sign that he’s about to get sick, though I’ve never looked through the data.

I took a quick look and I probably have about 450 Sp0 readings logged for him - most look like they also have his heart rate noted in the “Notes” field. If that interests you, I can pull out the resting heart rate data and plot it along with his recorded sicknesses.

I’ll get back to you about my personal data tomorrow. Just ping me if my son’s data interests you and I’ll parse that out.

Stay safe,
Dean

Thank you for looking at this data. I’m interested in any period in which you have HR or resting HR data for at least few days before and after the day of sickness onset. It’s not super common to have day of sickness recorded, so if you have some of these incidents for yourself or your son that’s very useful. Will write up everything I know for the QS website, I’ve gone pretty far back in the literature, and there really isn’t much detail on the temporal pattern here; though it’s well known that HR and body temp go up “together” that’s usually based on a few point measurements without day to day resolution. (Typically there is a curve of rising HR and fever, and eventually we’ll probably have some good plots of these over time but right now there isn’t much I’ve been able to find.)

Happy to do this. I’ve sent you a link to a Google Sheet with the data exported from EventLoggers.com for my son and me. I’ve massaged it a bit for your purposes but I’m not great at stats, so I’ll leave it to you (or others?) who want to delve into it further. Also sent you a DM with the keys to the spreadsheet and some thoughts.

Related, any Fitbit users here who have records of sickness onset (or doctor visits?) could easily create their own data set on EventLoggers for those criteria - the sickness/doctor visits would need to be manually/bulk entered but the historic resting heart rates from their Fitbit can be easily back-filled for, say 2 years, by EventLoggers. If anyone wants to do that, please send me a message.

1 Like

EventLoggers.com now integrates with Fitbit, Google Photos and RescueTime. It also has full family logging, meaning any member of your family can manually log events for other family members. My partner Christine and I have been using it for 2+ years and swear by it for our kids’ health notes.

2 Likes