Food tracking app/database going beyond nutrition labels?

It seems that every food tracking app just tracks the nutrition label of composite foods, not the ingredients. This means they cannot tell me how many servings of vegetables I ate, or estimate many micronutrient levels.

Two questions:

1. Am I missing something that does this?
  2. Do you think it really matters? I am considering building such a database using AI assistance if there is a strong enough need.
1 Like

I’m not sure if this is what you mean, but on cronometer when you put in a food like chipolte guacamole or starbucks ice cream, i’m not sure where it is pulling them from, but it does show all the micronutrients, amino acids, omega 3’s etc. does not do vegetable servings or ingredients.

I don’t eat composite foods so that isn’t something I need, but I could see it being useful. I’d probably use it to try and reduce additives and preservatives and unidentifiable ingredients in my diet if I was still eating those.

I was thinking today I would like it if cronometer showed me all the different foods I ate in a time frame, but it only shows your all time top ten or something like that. I’d like to see exactly how diverse my diet is. Did I eat 100 different types of plants and animals in the last year? 200? What would it look like if everything i ate in a time frame was arranged in a list by calories. 20k calories of ground beef, 16k calories of bananas etc, 50 calories of seaweed etc. Of course it would only do this by my entries so I’d have to clean it up if I put in olive oil sometimes and extra virgin olive oil other times when it was really all the same thing, but you get the picture.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for pointing out chronometer and what it reports! That is really close to what I was thinking. I also would love to see a summary of past foods, so that is an interesting idea.