Hardware Startup: How Do You Track Your Hydration?

Hi QS’ers! I’m a relative newcomer to the topic, but am really fascinated by the topics and discussions on this site. Also…

I’m currently a founder at a Seattle based hardware startup, building a new product focused on the health and fitness tracking space, with a particular eye towards hydration. We’re in “learn and confirm” mode, gathering a robust set of data about how people do what they do. As a researcher and product innovator, I know how important it is to design things around the way people actually behave for best product-market-fit.

If you have a few minutes, we’d very much appreciate you answering some questions for us; it’s anonymous. You can even skip the ones you don’t like. Promise.

Survey link:http://goo.gl/forms/LPAakJxlqP

Thanks!
Dave

Looks like the first two questions (gender and age) can’t be skipped?

I’d be happy to complete the survey, but would want to know who is behind it!

Of the 20 total question, there are (I think) 5 total that can’t be skipped - and we don’t consider those 5 particularly sensitive. (In research, there’s a certain minimum amount of things we need to know to make any decisions with the findings.)

As for who we are, we’re a small startup team located in Seattle in the early stages of determining exactly what our product should and should not do. Lightly targeted research to forums like QS are a great way to get folks who have an interest in tracking and monitoring their health with opinions on the subject to tell us how they (you) do what they (you) do. From the survey questions, you will get a sense of the space we’re focusing in on - and quite excited about since nobody else is doing it (particularly) well, yet.

I hope that helps. We welcome your survey input.

I’d be happy to chat with you at the next Seattle Startups Open Coffee.

Also, the Seattle Quantified Self group would be a great place to recruit people for in-person interviews, but you might have to be a bit more forthcoming about who you are if you want anyone to bite :slight_smile:

Any chance you can send us the survey results? I would be interested in seeing them if you don’t mind.

Thanks!
-Scot

Hi Dave,
I would really like to know more about your product. I am a Nutritionist by profession, a fitness enthusiast and also a COFounder of a startup called smartypans (www.smartypans.io). We built a smart cooking pan that connects with a recipe app and computes calories of the food you are cooking in real time. The app then exports this nutritional information to fitness apps/devices such as MyFitnessPal and FitBit. I would love to connect and bounce back some ideas. You can contact me at prachi@smartypans.io