Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations for 24/7 Continuous Monitoring and Logging

If you are still interested in an Android app for HRV monitoring I finally found the time to port HRV logger:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ma.hrvlogger&hl=en

The app will let you record, plot and export time and frequency domain HRV features.

from the app description:

• extracts, plots, stores and exports time and frequency domain heart rate variability features (AVNN, SDNN, rMSSD, pNN50, LF, HF, LF/HF)
  • configurable time window for feature extraction (30 seconds to 5 minutes)
  • automatic RR-interval correction (configurable)
  • event annotation
  • data export/storage on SD card and Dropbox (csv format, exports heart rates, rr intervals, events and computed features)
  • records data even when the app is in the background
  • handles recordings longer than 10 hours

you can find out more here or contact me directly (the iphone version is pretty much the same): http://www.marcoaltini.com/2/post/2013/12/heart-rate-variability-logger-app-details.html

Android 4.3 and a Bluetooth 4.0 radio are required.

Does the app tracks and graph for HRV training and recovery like ithlete and sweetbeat ?

Also, just need confirmation that it will work with Nexus 7 2013 + Polar H7 ?

Do you have any information on how long will the Polar H7 battery will last on continuous monitoring ?

What would be great is the following:

Scheduling a recording from say 1 AM to 4 AM.

Am I able to see a smooth QRS complex with the Truesense device?

I have 2nd (sometimes 3rd degree) AV-Block (during the night mostly/ in rest) for which I have regular visits to the hospital. Somewhere in the future I need to opt for pacemaker, but not necessary at this moment.

So basically I’m looking for a device that can record (8+ hours) ecg with the ability to see clear qrs complex afterwards

Yes, TrueSense Exploration Kit can pickup full QRS waveform when worn on chest bone vertically.
You may want to get Accessory Pack and use the Comforpore film for attaching electrodes securely for long duration ECG recording using Memory Module (MM).
cheers

Is there an easy way to filter out the missed beats as result of AV-Block? Got some data now, but really too much data coming from 1 night.

Maybe there is no other way then to scroll down 100+ pages to seek for missing rs…

you can use OPI Console to convert recorded TrueSense data to _HR.txt file using View Converter function. then you can import the .txt file into Kubios program for graphical analysis, which will easily show outlier data points, and you can check against raw data to see if it’s due to muscle activity, poor contact, HR extraction bug, or REAL missed beat.
cheers

I would be curious what conclusions have you been able to make from monitoring HRV 24/7.
Was the effort worth it?

Another one here interested in 24/7 monitoring what have been your results after all this time?

Still looking into this… Actually I’m measuring my 24/7 HR and HRV via Fluxtream Capture with a Polar H7. In addition to that I’m looking to get rid of the chest strap using soft gel electrodes so it doesn’t interfere with my breathing and to get a more comfortable fit.

But what I see is that there’s no way to get health, stress or any kind of medical utility from all this information in a way that, for example, the Firstbeat Bodyguard 2 that @Marco_Altini recommended does.

However it happens that Bodyguard 2 is not exactly of my liking because of it being an offline gadget, that’s not connected to the smartphone and this way I cannot see live information and I depend on having access to a PC instead of streaming or uploading it directly.

So what I’m looking like is a way to get 24/7 HR and HRV information, via smartphone, with some health insights like, for example Polar Loop app or any of that kind does, and the ability to export all that information for more deeper research purposes.

So far, what I that majority of the products out in the market always fullfill everything except of one of this.

• Optical HRM wristbands like Fitbit and others are accurate for only HR but fail at excercising and HRV logging.
  • Cheststraps, while being accurate, suffer from the imposibility to store data before syncing and are affected by possible connections lost, phone battery and depends on an app. I thought it could be addressed using an wristband that stores the info before syncing but they’re not meant to be logging 24hours straight. However, in a way or another, using Fluxstream capture I had been able to store some of the information but lack of the software to analise it.
  • Other, and more scientifical products address some of the above problems but suffer from the imposibility to see all this information online or in my mobile, they’re stuck with old software and is difficult to move from one platform to another.

What I’m trying to get is any sort Fitbit Charge HR system, with the possibility to get the information to an open platform and with the accuracy of a chest strap.

What do you guys think about all this, what have you discovered with all the experience, what else can you add to this matter? I want to hear you!

I’m trying out Fluxtream Capture + a Polar H7 just now. It’s a little uncomfortable - I don’t think I’d like to wear it permanently, but I’m going to give it a shot for a few days. The data at Fluxtream looks good. I’m interested in comparing it with my Apple Watch to see if they agree with each other.

I noticed a product called qardiocore which looks pretty interesting: https://www.getqardio.com/qardiocore-wearable-ecg-ekg-monitor-iphone/. It’s not cheap, but it sounds ideal and, they, claim, comfortable. Signed up for notifications for when they’re shipping the next batch. I’ll see if I’m feeling rich when they do :slight_smile:

This seems like an old thread but when I googled for continuous monitoring this thread came up and make me join up.

So, what are the updated options today in 2017? - Inexpensive preferable. I use an iPhone.

Define “inexpensive”…

Many wrist bands (like the Fitbit Alta HR, $150) now track HR 24/7.

If you need more accuracy (e.g. during exercise, or for HRV), a “smart shirt” (like the Hexoskin, $400) is a good option for capturing HR 24/7 (but still too awkward for 24/7/365).

1 Like

I was thinking something like a Mi Band :slight_smile: Somewhere in Amazon reviews it said a hack or an app allowed it to do so on Android. Not sure about iOS

The Mi Band 2 ($30) has a heart rate sensor, and works with Android, but I don’t know what the resolution of the data it collects is, and what data can be exported (via Google Fit).

1 Like

A new study comparing the Apple Watch, Basis Peak, Fitbit Surge, Microsoft Band, Mio Alpha 2, PulseOn, and Samsung Gear S2, with some interesting results:

• “Devices reported the lowest error for cycling and the highest for walking.”
  • “Device error was higher for males, greater body mass index, darker skin tone, and walking.”
  • “The Apple Watch achieved the lowest overall error in both [heart rate] and [energy expenditure], while the Samsung Gear S2 reported the highest.”
1 Like

@ejain - I guess I’ll give up on 24 hr monitoring. I wouldnt mind something that can “track for few hours” once activated to do so (when starting the day… esp, just waking up to working out to yoga to meditation to break fast to finally getting done with daily morning routine)

Since the accuracies are not all that great, yet and I have an iPhone, which “inexpensive” HR/ BP sensor / band etc would you recommend? I just want a low cost one to play with for starters - To even see if I use it enough to maybe go for a better thing

As per my digging around the web here’s some options, not sure how good but claim to do the 24/7 logging
1)

https://www.amazon.com/iWOWNFit-Bracelet-Bluetooth-Smartband-Wristband/dp/B01N6N2Z7C/

Mi Band 2 with 3rd party apps (Android: Mi Tools Plus and iOS - some other App - Cant remember name - here it is)
http://www.mimhr.com/

Someone mentioned Mio Fuse as well…

So any people here with any experiences with the above?

1 Like

Rather old? For you, perhaps.

Rather significant, for me - my thought on this is subjective, though.

Honor Band 4 - Experience from using for few days + Flaws & lesser features in iPhone iOS App? Your thoughts on these points - esp if diff on Android?

Having read so much about the (TruSleep & 24/7 HRM) following items I wanted to try my first Fitness Band (instead of Mi Band):

• That iPhone iOS App is crappy compared to Android and wont even give us ability to do deeper dive into the Charts.
    • I went by the reviews and assumed that iOS App will be same as Android
  • Its irritating to wear the band all day & night
    • After a point my hand/ wrist feels sticky & does not like the feel of the band, especially when resting or sleeping - so it conflicts with wanting to use it for Nap & Sleep monitoring
    • Is there a solution around this?
      • Are Mi Band or Honor Band 3 or other bands any more comfy/ skin/ wearing friendly? Or is this the same for any wrist/ hand based band/ watch tracker?

My experience of Band Features that ARE/ ARE NOT important to me and would like your feedback on my iOS experience (especially if different on Android):

• Sleep Monitoring - TruSleep
    • It wont do less than 3 hr tracking - So if you wake up or your sleep breaks into 2 naps poof!
    • Unable to Zoom into the data & charts
  • Continuous HRM 24/7 Monitoring & Logging
    • Objective of this was to have 24/7 Log (which it is collecting) and be able to Zoom into how/ when HR changes
      • Time - Activity introspection
    • So maybe at a certain time in the day doing X thing I see a spike (driving in traffic) +
      • Which would help if I could track HR + Location / GPS to see & remember what was causing HR up/ down.
  • Workout / Training HRM
    • I am not big on Running/ Cycling - I do Weight Training & Bodyweight Calisthenics
    • So I turned the “Training Mode” on from the Band (dont care about step counts)
    • I was hoping to see the HR data being logged more intensively for workouts
    • Cant see anything in the iOS App - Totally gone or never logged from Band to Phone or same Android vs iPhone issue
    • MAYBE I should just replace this with a Chest Band and another App to log & view the details?
  • Steps Activity - Dont really care
    • X
  • Data Logging / Integration of Huawei Health Data with Apple Health App / Kit (Is it more/ better in Google Health??)
    • Active Energy - ??
    • Heart Rate - Key… But not sure of its granularity and my ability to see it in a Chart
    • Height (kinda static for me)
    • Sleep Analysis - Key… But not sure of its granularity and my ability to see it in a Chart
    • Steps - Not a priority for me
    • Walking + Running Distance - Not a priority for me
    • Weight (using a 2 scales (Eufy + Yunmai) to log but not seeing it charted in Huawei Health App)

Based on the above FLAWS do you think there is a WORKAROUND or BETTER FIT of a Tracker for me?