I'm Building a Meditation Biofeedback Device

So, for the past few months I’ve been exploring methods of measuring cognitive performance using physiological tells.

And the very first prototype I’ve designed provides feedback to new meditators. By observing your physiology during meditation, I can provide audio feedback letting you know when meditation if effective.

Check it out here:

Hacking Meditation with the Arduino

I need some feedback from you guys. Interested? Does this look like something you’d want to use? Build?

And what’s wrong with it? Do you see ways I could improve the implementation?

Thanks for taking the time everyone.

• Kirk

[quote]So, for the past few months I’ve been exploring methods of measuring cognitive performance using physiological tells. And the very first prototype I’ve designed provides feedback to new meditators. By observing your physiology during meditation, I can provide audio feedback letting you know when meditation if effective.[/quote]That’s very vague. On this forum I think most people have a basic understanding of biofeedback.

I read the text on your website and you write:

[quote]So my initial prototype uses electrodes to measure your GSR and skin temperature, and an LED powered pulse sensor. My Arduino board sends the values straight to a Clojure program via USB.[…] The Clojure program reads data from the USB, and builds a running average of data. As soon as there is a deviance from a certain set percentage (depending on the input type), audio is triggered via an Overtone controller.[/quote]Why do you calculate a running average? Why don’t you calculate Heart Rate Variability?

Thanks for the response Christian.

It’s my first post on this forum, so I wasn’t sure how familiar with biofeedback people were here. I apologize if it seemed like I was insulting anyone’s intelligence. That wasn’t my intention.

That being said, I agree with you on calculating HRV instead of running average for the heart rate. But this was a very early prototype, and the measurements being done weren’t trustworthy enough to use HRV instead. I couldn’t get the resolution necessary from the first sensor I used.

Do you have any recommendations for a heart rate sensors so I can improve this part of my device? Any other potential problems stick out to you?

Thanks for your response, and thanks for moderating here.

Hi Kirk,

This is fascinating, and I see the potential. You could target several niches (e.g., people who are into yoga, QS folks, etc.). I think you should Kickstart the project. I will definitely support it.

Konstantin

I am extremely interested in this as well. There are a number of existing meditation biofeedback solutions: EEG (mindwave, emotiv epoc), HRV (emwave2, stresseraser), and GSR (gsr2) based products for this, but I would love to see something integrated along the lines of what you’re describing. Integrated GSR, HRV,and skin temp is a good start. I don’t see why EEG couldn’t also be added. I would be curious if the above existing devices could be run simultaneously and their output aggregated together into a software feedback solution.[hr]
Briefly looking around the web, I see there are products that do what you are describing. Granted, the price point is high…

Waverider Pro
http://bio-medical.com/products/waverider-pro-4-channel-v-25.html

J&J products
http://www.jjengineering.com/Products.htm

Elemaya
http://www.elemaya.com/

actully i have very light knowledge about Meditation Biofeedback Device…
but it is a very nice effort in this forum .edelman