Innovation Workshop: Patient Generated Data In The Clinic

From our friends at RWJF:

The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is inviting innovation teams to design solutions to priority focus areas through the process of creating use cases. Over the course of a 3-month innovation process, each team will produce one use case that will articulate a specific goal for how PGD can be used to improve the experience of the clinical encounter, describe who needs to be involved, and document the sequence of steps to achieve that goal.

I’ve attached the full invitation and also the background report. This is a great chance to take a project that is still at the conceptual stage and refine it with experienced researchers and clinicians who can increase the chance your ideas will have a real impact. The opportunity is not for sole individuals: They are looking for 4-5 person teams. (But you can be just starting out.)

PGD Synthesis Report FINAL 28jan17.pdf (189.7 KB)
PGD Invitation FINAL.pdf (232.4 KB)

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks, interesting. I would love to participate, but that’s not possible in this case. It would be great if we could bring this idea to Europe. Best, Marcel.

I would be interested in this too.

Marcel: Martijn de Groot and I have been REALLY wanting to link up the US and European QS research worlds. It happens (a little) at the Quantified Self Institute at Hanze University; we are going to be meeting there in advance of QS17 in Amsterdam in June to discuss research and funding strategies for supporting this work across borders. It’s been amazing to me to come to understand how divided these worlds are in healthcare and public health. This would never be tolerated in the basic sciences, I don’t think - you just couldn’t make progress if you couldn’t fund collaborations across borders. But because health research is so linked to national institutions responsible for care, the divide is huge. I will continue to post anything I notice here, and please do the same. Let’s get some international grants (do these exist?), or convince some of our cashed out tech friends (that’s a theoretical construct, BTW) that we need our own foundation to accelerate progress.

1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this, Gary.
This happens to be the focus of my recently started PhD here in Australia (PGD in the clinic), would love to see how this research track proceeds elsewhere. Anyone interested in teaming up for an EOI to RWJF above? (US-based might be great, to have a physical presence in their workshops…which perhaps reflects on Gary’s comment on QS-sans-frontieres!). Also, Stanford’s Med X had a similar initiative recently - see the Precision Research challenge; would be interesting to see the 6 finalists’ projects ahead.

Hope to connect in Amsterdam later this year!