Invitation to participate in survey on pro-longevity lifestyles

Hi everybody,

We are a data-driven longevity startup in the middle of an interesting research. We invite you to join our study on pro-longevity effects of diets, dietary supplements and lifestyles.

If you are engaged in healthy lifestyles and dietary supplements intake, you will help us a lot if you go through our online bioage calculator: https://gero.ai/bioage

What it does is simple. We ask you several questions about your health and lifestyle. Questions related to current health status are used to calculate how the biological age is different from chronological age. Other questions help us detect lifestyles that are beneficial for well-being and longevity.

The model was built on data from over 20,000 participants of NHANES survey and is prepared for publication (you can find it on bioRxiv https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/578245v1).
We also plan to publish the results of our ongoing study. Our recent publications on biomarkers of aging in blood tests and human locomotor activity from wearable devices can be found at https://gero.ai/publications).

To send you the results, we will ask you to put your email in the web form. We never spam. However, we will totally understand if you opt to use a fake address.

Many thanks to everyone who chooses to join and help us in our study!

• Tim Pyrkov
    PhD, researcher at GERO, a data-driven longevity biotech
1 Like

Hi, great to see this initiative! I’ve just filled in the survey and got an answer close to what other people think my age is (vs. my chronological age):

Some feedback:

• The sharing dialog shown above could have sharing icons (FB, Twitter etc.) to make sharing easier
  • Some of the questions seemed apparently unrelated to biological age. For example, the Q8 about diarrhea - I was traveling through South America and got food poisoning from drinking unfiltered water. Now I only drink safe water. Did that GI problem affect my bio age? Would my bioage be lower if I took the test a month ago, before I drank that water?
  • For question 4, does resistance training count? I didn’t run over the past 30 days, but I do sweat a lot during my daily weight lifting workouts.
  • For question 15, senolytics, does cooking with large amounts of turmeric (1 tbsp / meal) count? According to Healthline, “There is no official consensus on whether it’s best to take curcumin or turmeric supplements.”
  • Q18, “Where are you from” - what is this question looking for? Just a demographics question, or does the answer factor in things like the average lifespan of people from that country? What should those who’ve lived in 2+ different countries answer? For example, I lived in Romania until my early 20s, then in California for the past ~15 years.
  • Typo: “In the last 30 days, did you try to maintain a healthy sleeping schedule?”

Final question, how does this compare with Aaging.ai’s biomarker-based model ?

Hi, thanks for feedback!

Yes, only part of the questions are used to calculate the biological age.

The goal of our study is to rely on this estimated bioage to score lifestyles and dietary supplements for their pro-longevity effects. So, the other part of questions is related to lifestyles and is not accounted in calculation of bioage itself.

Q8 about diarrhea is used in bioage calculation. Our biological aging marker was intentionally composed of questions related to current health status, i.e. those that may fluctuate within a month or so. We outlined the reasons to do so in our recent manuscript on longitudinal blood tests, that is under review right now and available on bioRxiv (https://doi.org/10.1101/618876).

As for Q4, I think resistance training does count. Our model is based on NHANES study, so most of the questions are asked exactly as in NHANES questionnaire. Q4 is exactly regarding vigorous physical activity.

Q18 is just a demographics question.

As for Q15, I think cooking large amounts of turmeric should mean the answer yes, for curcumin intake in our survey.

The essential difference of our model from Aging.ai’s is that our model is not intended to predict age, but is based on hazards model and predicts the difference in years of health-span among an age-matched cohort of individuals. We have investigated both approaches and found that hazards model is more appropriate and more sensitive to variations in health status.