Major update for my "statistics log" website http://myslog.xyz

Hi guys,

I’m using a JavaScript website to display some statistics about my life, and I’ve started to automate things some more… resulting in some (semi-)automatic graphs. The tools I’m using are:

• Google Sheets (Web)
  • IFTTT (Web & Android)
  • TimeTrack (Android)
  • Daylio (Android)

I’m currently tracking:

My Body:

• weight
  • kcal burn
  • mood
  • drink intake (both “good” and “bad” drinks)

My Time:

• sleep
  • partner
  • kids
  • family
  • friends
  • leisure
  • sport
  • chores
  • work
  • travel

Let me know what you think, whether it works or not, and what data I should try to add!

http://myslog.xyz

4 Likes

Thank you for posting this! How are you doing the time tracking? This part is similar to the very first QS project (other than my own) that I saw in 2008. For myself, I’ve never found a way that I liked that didn’t create too much hassle. Are you using your calendar, or??

Thanks for your response! I’m using “TimeTrack” for Android to track my time. With the app, I added a widget to my smartphone home screen and I fiddled with the setting to achieve the following:

• Good to know, I can unlock my phone with my finger print, so if I “grab” it in the right way, it automatically unlocks as my finger exactly hits the finger print scanner.
  • If I “start” a new category of time, the previous is automatically stopped;
  • I have the following “shortcuts” right on my home screen;
  1. Travel;
  2. Kids;
  3. Partner;
  4. Leisure;
  5. Work;
  6. Chores;
  7. Sport;
  8. Sleep;
  9. Family;
  10. Friends;

An average time-switch-registration takes me < 10 seconds, including taking my phone out of my pocket, tracking time, and putting it back in my pocket.

“TimeTrack” has a good export-to-csv option, which I do periodically (once a day to once a week). I then overwrite a Google Drive sheet that I have with this said export. My website automatically “reads” that Google Drive file so making the graph is no effort.

This manual export, including the import to Google Drive sheets, takes about one minute.

Total time spent tracking my time: 3 minutes and 43 seconds on average, every day!
~150 “time category switches” per week, so that is 1500 seconds + 60 seconds for the export.

Hey Slog, cool website!
Do you fill everything in manually or are some things automatically pulled from some API?

For an outsider the graphs are quite confusing. This is mostly because it has multiple axis which might not start at 0. So if you want other people to see this website, I would suggest to add explenations or divide it in individual graphs. If you are the only one who will use it, then I bet it makes perfect sense for you :slight_smile:

Btw, what did you change to lose that big amount of weight?

Thanks! All feedback is (always) appreciated!

The thing I changed to lose weight was:

• Eat normal, varied food (most of the weight loss was “going back to normal” after the holidays)
  • Drink 2 liters (8 normal glasses) of water each day, I allow myself to drink (light) soda only after I’ve achieved this
  • Eat less snacks, but this difference is very small… I think I eat 75% of the amount of snacks I ate before

*Please note that I didn’t actually attempt to lose weight… it’s fine because I’m in “the healthy weight zone”, but I didn’t actively try to lose weight. I did actively try to drink more water though…

Hey Slog, you still haven’t answered my question and I’m still curious!

Ah, oops, sorry!

Manual:

• [0-1 min/day] Single-button-press logging of what I drink (IFTTT for Android);
  • [2-3 min/day] Single-button-press logging of time (TimeTrack for Android);
  • [0-1 min/day] Single-button-press logging of mood (Daylio for Android);
  • [0-1 min/day] Exporting CSV files to Google Drive;

Automatically (all of below happens real-time when someone opens my website):

• Reading the data from Google Drive;
  • Processing the data;
  • Graphing the data (took some time to build the website of course, but now it’s all automated magic);
  • A simple JavaScript website to display the Google Drive sheets real-time on http://myslog.xyz and show me some nice graphs.

There are two reasons I don’t “pull” data from API’s:

• I didn’t want to build a back-end for my website/application, now everything is done on-demand instead of continuously or at certain times during the day;
  • Not all apps (which I have started to love, to track my data) have a simple and free API;