Measuring cogntive performance without a computer

Threads on this forum about quantifying cognitive performance yield great resources but they are all sites or programs. I spend way too much time staring at a computer screen as it is. Now I count the number of pages I can read in ten minutes and the number of minutes I need to memorize 20 cards in order. I want to try Set Cards but I do not know if its worth it. Are there any other pen paper card etc puzzles to test cognitive performance?

Googling “cognition site:boardgamegeek.com” yields lots of results. Many people including published scientists think board games are important to neuropsychology. I found one thread specifically suggests cognitive testing board games. Unfortunately its from 2011. Still the suggestions are good. Here is an example using SET. Its fun and fairly fast and easy but unfortunately depends way too much on the draw. For example if there are no red cards the search space is reduced by at least half.

1 Like

One example is timing the time it takes to complete a crossword puzzle. But for that to be a meaningful metric, you would have to already be pretty proficient at crossword puzzles.

You can test reaction time by having someone drop a ruler between your hands and seeing how long it takes for you to react and stop the ruler’s progress by clasping both hands.

Maybe there’s a program out there that will generate a page of arithmetic problems. You can print it out and see how long it takes you to complete them.

Or you could get a d100 (or two d10’s) to generate numbers that you would have to multiply either in your head or by using an abacus.

If you come across anything else, be sure to share!

1 Like

Thank you. I can not believe I did not think of dice multiplication. I just bought a polyhedral 7 die set too. Plan to put 3 dice into one of two small clear plastic and shake them to generate the 2 numbers to multiply.

Ruler idea is great cause its pretty much the only one that does not involve timing the test, but how do you measure how close to hold your hands?

I think time will depend too much on the puzzle itself like with a single board of set. But then I have never tried crossword puzzles before.