Open source universal API for QS data

Hey QS!

As we started out making a Quantified Self app ourselves, @celsinga and I wanted to share our new open source Health Devices API which we just launched as it may be useful to other QS devs in this community. It allows you to gain access to your users’ health data from various wearables, RPM devices, and mHealth apps. You can check out the public Github repo (and give us a star if you like what you see :star:)!

We wished an open source product like this existed when we were making our QS app, so we wanted to share it here as well. For developers in the healthtech space, building integrations to various sources of healthcare data is a huge pain, as it means wrangling different data formats, gaining access to the APIs in the first place, and ultimately spending precious developer resources building out data pipelines. We solve this pain for you through our single open source API, which is quick and easy to get started with.

Integrations

Out of the box, our Health Devices API supports the following integrations:

• Fitbit
  • Oura
  • Whoop
  • Withings
  • Cronometer

With these initial integrations, we plan to add many more to this list, including Garmin, Apple Health, and Google Fit in the near term. If there’s an integration you need that’s not currently on roadmap, we’re more than happy to add it and build it into our API (contact us at hello@metriport.ai). Because we’re also open-source, you can also just fork our code and build your own custom integrations!

Getting Started

The easiest way to get started is to follow our quickstart guide in our dev docs.

Would love to get some feedback from the QS community about the API so we can improve it, and thanks in advance!

5 Likes

It’s great to see an open-source competitor to Validic and Human API, this is overdue…

But please tell me you’re not returning all timestamps in UTC :crazy_face:

Yeah keep timestamps as linux epochs. There have been a number of data aggregators and dashboarding tools lately. How is metriport different? Finding relations between variables in time series - Personal Science Wiki

Does it do advanced statistical analysis?

Metriport shut down their mobile app. A fellow QS peer has been searching for a replacement for a while.

Well it seems like they only did that on IOS because on Android I have the app. I’ve been able to find it on the Google Play store. It’s just not being updated and doesn’t look like it’s going to be anytime soon and anytime you email the company asking about it they never respond back

I’ve been trying to search for an app that is like the exact same but does location-based tracking so I can have it do a specific location like my job location so when I get to work it starts to track and when I leave the parking lot it stops tracking and tells me how long it puts that along the graph and everything similar to sleep. The other thing I wanted to do was seamless sinking for calories. Either they’re using Fitbit or Google’s health connect or both

The thing is that it is so close to what I’m looking for, but it only misses just a tiny bit of what I’m really after that. I’ve been searching for months for an app that is similar to metriport And people have recommended varying different ones but none of them even come close to what that app can already do because everything that metriport already does. Beautifully is what I want the app that anybody recommends to do off the bat and it’s kind of sad that they’ve dropped everything to work on an API and everything because they have an app that is beautiful and everything. But if someone who has ADHD it works beautifully for them

And something I also didn’t mention was I’ve been trying to gain weight since October 19th, 2022 as the one with ADHD who’s been underweight even when they were going through puberty and all that and trying to get to a healthier weight. I’ve been failing and knowing what causes those problems of not getting in enough calories and everything like that metriport If it could do location-based tracking and do seamless calorie sinking through health connect sink information from Fitbit. It would be the perfect app for someone like myself. The more seamless adding information is that I don’t have to add it all on my end. The better because trying to remember to put it in is just a hassle and then you have a backlog of so much you have to enter in that it’s just very time consuming

What’s a “linux epoch”, milliseconds since Sep 17, 1991? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

More seriously, yes, all timestamps should be unambiguous. But for certain timestamps (like sleep start and end times) having a local time associated with an event is essential as well. This can be done e.g. by including a time zone offset in timestamps, or by storing timestamps along with a separate time zone or time zone offset.

1 Like

Is it really free?

Are there any other free alternatives?? @ejain

As far as I can tell, Metriport is free as in “free speech”, not as in “free beer” :grinning:

So you don’t have to pay them anything if you run everything yourself, but perhaps not if you want them to host everything for you.