Passive tracking of human excreta (urine and stool)

Hi,

I’m a bit new to this forum, but I’ve been heavily interested in QS topics from a personal and research perspective for a long-time and really love this community.

About me: I’m a rising senior studying Computational Biology at Carnegie Mellon University, and currently conduct research full-time on a rich dataset collected from Fitbits and phone usage in an undergraduate student population.

For the last couple of months, the thought of developing a toilet which could passively track a variety of measures from urine and stool has been nagging at me, and the publication of this article has encouraged me to finally do something about it.

Right now, there are a few startups in this space such as Heart Health Intelligence and Toi Labs, but nobody to my knowledge is seriously working on a project to see how far we can push the analytics from human excreta. With the constraints of commercialization aside, how much data can we glean from human waste in a fully automated fashion?

Can we capture microbiome data in a purely automated fashion for self-tracking applications? Can we predict outbreaks before they happen? The possibilities are truly endless.

A passion project of mine is to write up a detailed report and roadmap on how this sort of detailed system could be made a reality, but I would love to collaborate on this with 1-2 other people who are passionate about self-tracking and can envision how this could be a game changer for both QS and clinical medicine.

If this sounds of interest to you, please let me know! My email is sprice1@andrew.cmu.edu, but you can also just reply below :slight_smile:

Thank you!
~Stephen

I think you will definitely find interest and curiosity about this topic here.

I assume you’ve seen this paper?

Wow! I hadn’t! That’s really cool - thank you for sharing :slight_smile: