QS Access App

This thread is the discuss the QS Access app, post examples of how you are using it, ask support questions, etc.

Here’s a few examples of data tables you can get from the QS Access app. This data originated from the native step tracking function on a iPhone 5s.

Daily Step Table

Hourly Step Table

Thanks! Any plans to open source this app?

2 Likes

+1. In before the, “when is available on [insert mobile OS here]?” question.

I suggest throwing up a spinner while calculating and maybe let the user enter start and end dates. Healthkit calculations on step interval data are not super quick right now even on Apple’s newest devices so if you wanted to offer higher granularity output like 5 minute or even 1 minute data, restricted reporting intervals I think are a must.

Its cool that it looks like you’re putting in your own 0s for step data even when Apple’s HKStatisticsCollectionQuery API’s doesn’t return anything for intervals where the phone wasn’t moving. I think thats probably the right behavior for something that gets integrated over time like steps. I find Apple’s own health app misleading with the hourly graphs that it shows in this regard since if I walk 2000 steps between 3 and 4, then do nothing till 7, then walk another 4000 steps between 7 and 8 I’ll see a line (granted a dotted line) from 2000 to 4000 between 3:30 and 7:30. (Apple’s argument would be that it really didn’t know what I was doing between 4 and 7 but I think thats kind of silly … if the phone didn’t move, that’s 0 steps)

But I wonder if for something like weight (a discreet unit as opposed to a cumulative unit in Apple-speak) if it might make more sense to leave the table cell blank (or interpolate between the rows with actual values) rather than put in 0 (though I guess consuming apps / spreadsheets could fix it for any discreet measures that don’t usually have allowable values near 0).

Thanks dhakim for your comments and feedback! A question: Did you test it with weight and see zeros?

Yes. I have only two manually entered datapoints in the health app, today and maybe 30 days ago. In the export I see those two points and then 0s for all days in between. This is coming from an iPhone 6 running 8.1 (for some reason the forum isn’t letting me attach the .csv)

Is there any way to track the HR data that is in Apple Health on more than 1 hour or 1 day? I used QS Access but the results weren’t helpful since I wanted to grab all the recorded data for one day. Once every hour over a day isn’t helpful either.

:s

There are other ways to get the HR data at a more granular level using a few other apps:

If you have iOS development skills you can use Brad Larson’s Heart Rate Exporter code to build your own little app that exports the data via iTunes connect: https://github.com/BradLarson/HealthKitHeartRateExporter

If you’re familiar with JSON, I suggest looking into the Hipbone app by Open mHealth: http://hipboneapp.com

There is a new release of the QS Access App contains the following changes:

• Export raw data from individual quantities
  • Store the query details between runs
  • Choice of units for many quantities
  • Add support for sleep
  • Large performance Improvements
2 Likes

I joined specifically to second the request that QS Access be made open source, especially if there are no plans for monetization. I also wanted to notify that http://quantifiedself.com/access-app/app has been down for a couple days.

1 Like

Hi Nathan, I got your message via and the page should be up again now. Thank you for pinging me about it! If you still can’t access it let me know.

I’m very glad to hear suggestions for QS Access.

Access app is good. A suggestion: can you add ability to select which columns are output? I would like to have the source column included in the output table as it will make analysing data from various sources possible.

An example of this is that I use a Garmin tracker. In health, steps from the iPhone are tracked on a minute-by-minute basis. Garmin, on the other hand, summarises data into 15 minute windows. Health stores both sets of data. So when exporting, I need to manually label each entry by source to differentiate between the two. Easy to do for one day, but not for large data sets!

Thanks

I’d like to suggest an option for output to suppress rows with all zeroes. Creating a average requires manually deleting all rows for days on which an entry wasn’t made.

If you are using a spreadsheet application to analyze your data and want to ignore zero values, you can use the AVERAGEIF (or similar) function.

Thank you for that. I wasn’t aware of the AVERAGEIF() function. That will do exactly what I’m looking for.

I started up QS Access app on an iPhone se 2, with latest iOS. The only option offered was to designate which options I wanted to access in Apple Health app, and then tap on Create a Table. I did that, and app closed. I tried several times, with same result. I deleted QS Access app and tried again, with same result. I did a forced restart of iPhone, tried again, same result. I tried to access Support at Quantified Self, didn’t find any.

I also am having issues on muy iPhone 11 Pro Max with the newest iOS. When using the app I give access try to create a table and it crashes instantly. I used this last year on whatever iOS was out during that time and it worked. Would love to see an update to the app so I can start using it again (I try to do a yearly tally of steps, flights climbed etc) Thanks!

Hi, just noting here for people who missed this in other threads that we aren’t updating QS Access. It served a good purpose in the past but we don’t have the development resources to support it any longer. I wish we could!