Quantifying my gut health - 2nd analysis for 2022

I have measured my gut microbiota three times. This blog post focus on the latest result: https://ilmostromberg.com/gut-guide-review2/

Here is short summary:

Background: I Tested positive for COVID-19 in February 2022. 2 weeks later, I did a gut microbiota analysis (Gutguide). Levels of all the good bacteria fell (Bifidobacteria over 50%!).

I did the same gut microbiota test in 2018, so I had a good reference point.

Then problems started:

I got Shingles in April 2022 (pretty rare for a 34-year-old). It was a painful experience!

In June, I got a Random fever the next day after a 30km run.

And the end of September, I had flu.

Before the COVID-19 infection, the last time I was ill was in 2019, so I had a good run. But after shingles, I knew I had to focus on my gut health. Almost 80% of all immune cells are present in the gut!

I came up with a diet and supplement routine to improve my situation. Then end of November, it was time to do a retest with Gut guide microbiota analysis.

Results (top 3 findings):

Almost 400% increase in Bifidobacteria (good bacteria)

90% increase in Faecalibacterium Prausnitzii (good bacteria)

Over 40% increase on Gammaproteobacteria (bad bacteria) - I have always been in the suboptimal range with Gammaproteobacteria, but this time I basically maxed out in the wrong direction.

Possible theory on high Gammaproteobacteria levels

A month ago, I was driving a car and took a sip of water from my reusable water bottle. The water tasted funny, and instantly I had a huge aha moment.

I have used reusable water bottles for at least 7 years. What makes it problematic is my laziness; I clean the water bottle maybe once a week with dish detergent If I’m lucky

What If I have been dosing myself with e.Coli-flavored water for many years, and this is the result?

You can read it more here: https://ilmostromberg.com/gut-guide-review2/

1 Like

Didn’t know that COVID-19 can disrupt the gut microbiome – is there was anything it won’t interfere with? :grimacing:

What do you fill your bottle with? If you are drinking chlorinated tap water, at the very least the UV treatment will get rid of the chlorine taste…

Yes, we have chlorinated tap water here in Finland. I will do new gut microbiome test this year to see if I can decrease my gammaproteobacteria levels with UV light water bottle

1 Like