Questions on my First QS Tool: Body Media Link

After alot of research, I’ve finally taken the plunge and purchased a Body Media Link.
The current goal I am pursuing is weight lose and increased fitness level.
I intend to purchase an Omron HBF-514C Full Body Composition Sensing Monitor and Scale and some kind of heart rate monitor, but I’ll deal with that later.
My future goals include fitness and sleep optimization.

I was aware of the subscription fee for their “FIT” program before I purchased it, and I’m currently on the 3 month trial subscription.
But I do have a few questions for those out there that already use this product.
I have not thoroughly explored the “FIT” program on the Body Media website, so I apologize if the answers are already well known.

First and foremost, what tips do you have to get the most out of this device?
As best I can tell, the Activity Manager only tracks Calorie Consumed/Burned/Balanced, Physical Activity, Steps, and Sleep.
Does it get any more detailed than this?
How actuate have you found these features to be?
Any surprises I should be aware of?

Also important to me is the data.
Is there a way to aggregate the individual data points in a spread sheet or data base?
If I decide to cancel my subscription, can I still get the data off the device?
I recall seeing a website somewhere that let people get more technically in-depth on their devices than the manufacturer intended, but I can’t remember the link.
Does anyone know the name of the group? and would that method allow me to keep collecting data after my trial period has ended?

And of course, are there any tips/tricks to getting more out of this device that you wish someone had told you about when you had started using yours?

Hi Jason,

The Armband you are using is part of our SenseWear product line (www.sensewear.com) and it is compatible with both our online Activity Manager (which sounds like you’ve already registered for) AND the SenseWear Professional Software which allows you to access the minute-rate raw sensor data, along with energy expenditure, steps, sleep, etc. You can use both side-by-side, but just remember that uploading to the Activity Manager clears the Armband data automatically, so if you want to save to SenseWear, upload there first.

To download the SenseWear, please send me an email (research@bodymedia.com) and I’ll send you the link to install. You will need a License Key to access the export, graphing, and advanced features of the software.

To answer a few of your other questions:
Q. Also important to me is the data.
Q. Is there a way to aggregate the individual data points in a spread sheet or data base?
A. For software developers there is a BodyMedia data API with example code to get you started at http://developer.bodymedia.com. This allows you to access data uploaded through the Activity Manage, but does not allow you to access raw sensor signals that you see in SensWear. You can made a desktop or mobile app that gets your own data, and the data of any Armband wearer who gives you permission. Or just make something simple to pull your own data.

Q. If I decide to cancel my subscription, can I still get the data off the device?
A. You can continue to get the data archive from the data base via the API. A subscription is required to get data from the Armband monitor. This is only true for the Activity Manager subscription. SenseWear allows you to save data files locally on your computer. These .swd files can be loaded onto newer versions of the software too, as they are released.

Q. I recall seeing a website somewhere that let people get more technically in-depth on their devices than the manufacturer intended, but I can’t remember the link.
A. This is BodyMedia’s research software called SenseWear (www.sensewear.com).
SenseWear armbands work with the SenseWear desktop software and the Activity Manager web site. They record the raw sensor data plus the derived values such as activity level, calorie expenditure, sleep, and more, saving local data files that can be exported to Excel and CSV. The full features of SenseWear require the license key (included in your prize).
Consumer armband monitors like the LINK & CORE Armbands ONLY work with the web site Activity Manager and do not work with SenseWear software. The LINK armband has the Android and iPhone apps, data uploading via the phone app.

Q. And of course, are there any tips/tricks to getting more out of this device that you wish someone had told you about when you had started using yours?
A.

1. Refer to the SenseWear software user manual (under the “Help” tab in the software) to learn about all of the features and setting options.
  2. If you decide to stick with the Activity Manager, visit the web site occasionally, particularly after the first two weeks, where you will start to get actionable advice on achieving your goals.
  3. If you’d like to continue with your subscription to the online Activity Manager, 1 and 2 year subscriptions can be bought at a discount, if paid for up-front.
  4. Ask us! We’re happy to answer questions or give extra tips/tricks as needed.

Good luck and best of health!
Rachel
Manager, Clinical Affairs