Recovering from severy injury: my personal story

Ever had a severe injury? I have made some slides about my personal story, for a recent presentation for Jakob Eg Larsen at the Denmark Technical University (DTU) at QS Copenhagen.

Here’s the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4wkz_Ax2awYN3JvSjZTR1l4aGc

My Lessons Learned (this is in the slides):

• ‘Citizen’s science’ and ‘Patient Expertise’ support faster diagnosis and better/accelerated treatments
  • The responsibility of healthy living primarily lies with you
  • Exercise is crucial for mental and physical health, but load and loadability should always be carefully observed.
  • Physical and mental fitness is a big plus, when recovering from operation or injury
  • Recovery processes are very similar to training programs
  • Be a good patient, but not a ‘victim’
  • Put a 100% trust in your caregivers, but make sure to close the gap between them
  • Build a support network.

I hope this can be use to people that are the same process now as I was back then. Feel free to share this and discuss, please contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards, Marcel.

2 Likes

The rules, with some obvious changes are the same for chronic pain and other chronic diseases.

I agree…thanks!

I am just getting around to reading some posts that I missed earlier last months - I want to say thank you for sharing these slides. This injury seems very tough, but your lessons are well taken.

Gary, no problem. There’s always a lot on the plate. even if you make the plate bigger…or smaller.

I had a tough time, but I was able to rise to the challenge. Hopefully, my story can inspire people to re-energize or re-think, e.g. during therapy.

Thanks. And what is the best exercise for recovery from injury?

Start with movement, gently increase range of motion and move towards light exercise - avoid stress and pain whenever possible. Do not overdue it.

1 Like

Wow, that is a great presentation and you showed some real grit.

Thank you George! Hopefully, the slides can help to support other people, in improving grit or in caregiver skills/empathy. Best, Marcel.