Reversing Osteopenia - How to Improve Bone Mineral Density (aka BMD)

Never thought I’d be here discussing this one.

Searched the forums and did not see any self-research project on reversing osteopenia. Cursory research suggests that high-impact exercise (running, jumping, dancing, resistance exercise) is best, combined with adequate calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, and vitamin K consumption.

I have a connective tissue disorder that can predispose one to osteoporosis because the flexibility in the tissue fails to adequately ‘shock’ the bones. I also cannot consume dairy. Physicians did not adequately address and take my calcium intake concerns seriously when I asked for help.

I started powdered calcium citrate after reading about absorption and wanting to try somethign affordable. I have always been active, but I do not know right now how much my activity and my lack of dairy each contributed to the problem.

DEXA scans may be redone in two years in my case. I’d like to structure my intakes and activities to make my attention to this useful to others, and to track/quantify progress.

My other concern, as optimal health is important to me, is that waiting two years to know if my efforts are working is too long, that is, I don’t want to gain certainty about a winning strategy 4 years in or 6 …

Is anyone familiar with any accurate way I could monitor progress as well as best structure my approach to be useful?

Thank you!

What blood biomarkers are you keeping track of?

How many DEXA scans have you done? Enough to establish a trend?

Blood calcium is not a good measure since the body will draw from your bones to maintain the correct level.

Blood Vitamin D level is good to measure.

Parathyroid level can impact bone density.

I have a 20 lb weight vest that I wear while waking 1 mile each day.

Make sure you distribute the calcium supplement throughout your meals.
Large doses of calcium can be detrimental to heart health.

I also do an evening collagen cocktail of milk and collagen powder.
The primary intent is protein supporting muscle growth while also providing calcium for bones.

There may be some use in C-telopeptide (CTx) and N-telopeptide (NTx) testing, which are commonly available.

Interesting…
Then serum procollagen type 1 N-terminal propeptide (P1NP, bone formation) could be added to the list.