S+ device

The S+ sleep monitor stages sleep by monitoring breathing. It seems to be doing a good job, I plan to validate it with eeg.
Downside: can’t get at my data. I’ve contacted the manufacturer on this (ResMed).

Does anyone else have any experience with the S+?

I have not had experience with it but have been watching it with interest. I am surprised that stages of sleep can be monitored with breathing and motion. It does sound attractive, however. I have been working with Zeo for over a year now.

By the way, what type of eeg do you have access to for validating the performance?

And it you do get a way to get and keep your data, do let us know.

I am surprised that stages of sleep can be monitored with breathing and motion.

There are a number of published algorithms for calculating eeg proxy data from heart rate, respiration, and pulse oximetry.

By the way, what type of eeg do you have access to for validating the performance?

I have a simple 2 channel eeg with active electrodes for sleep monitoring. Check out the openEEG project: http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/
I also use the Emotiv Epoc +, but that really can’t be used for sleep studies because of the support structure.

And it you do get a way to get and keep your data, do let us know.

I received an incredibly lame response from ResMed:
Thank you for contacting ResMed Sensor Technologies S+ Customer Service. We apologize as there is no way to export the received data off the S+ Account or device directly. ResMed is an international medical supply company, and the S+ is a sleep monitoring device. For this reason, high regulations and processes are followed to product every user’s personal and sleep data. For this reason, the device’s program is designed to download the incoming data automatically and transfer is to our database to create the customized MySPlus reports, where it is kept secure.

Don’t you love being protected?

So would you recommend buying the S+ to track REM and deep sleep times?