Scribe-java users unite?

We are using the scribe-java library for accessing a couple of the device APIs. A while back Candide made a fork to add support for Runkeeper for use in the Fluxtream sources. Yesterday we solved a long-standing problem with using the Withings OAuth API by stumbling into a scribe-java pull request by Eric Jain.

Is anyone else using scribe-java for interfacing to QS-relevant APIs? If so:
[list]
[]What APIs are you using it for?
[
]Have you tried to submit it as a pull-request to scribe-java?
[*]What happened?
[/list]

Eric submitted a pull request for adding Withings support a year ago, but it somehow never appeared in the scribe-java master branch.

Candide submitted a pull request for adding Runkeeper support 10 months ago, but unfortunately the process stalled. (Ignore the Withings files in this one. Eric’s Withings support is correct; this one is wrong.)

I’m interested to pool efforts with Eric and others in the QS API community on this.

I’m actually thinking about replacing Scribe with http://code.google.com/p/google-oauth-java-client/; one issue I have with Scribe is that it isn’t very testable.

Interesting. I don’t know anything about google-oauth-java-client or the relative testability of scribe, but I forwarded your suggestion to Candide. Is google-oauth-java-client that what you used for Netatmo, or was that still scribe?

A disadvantage I see with scribe is that the overhead of meeting fernandezpablo85’s requirements and the delays of anything new ending up in the master are high. However, at least there we can make our own fork and potentially incorporate commits made by us and other folks (like Eric) into that fork to add support or additional services without externally imposed delay.

I’m not sure how that would work with google-oauth-java-client. Would we create a new github project with application layer code for specific services and/or patches? Would we share management of such a project? Does something to fill that role already exist?

Anne

No, I am still using Scribe. I have so far managed without having to patch Scribe, but the service-specific implementations (org.scribe.builder.api.Api) for some services (incl RunKeeper and Netatmo) are uglier than they should have to be.

[quote=“anne, post:3, topic:798”]
I’m not sure how that would work with google-oauth-java-client. Would we create a new github project with application layer code for specific services and/or patches?[/quote]

I’d hope google-oauth-java-client doesn’t have to be patched, so this could be a separate project that just provides the configuration (URLs etc) to use for each service.