Seeking an Enhanced Health Tracking Solution Amidst Metriport's Development Hiatus

As I navigate the landscape of health tracking apps, Metriport has emerged as a significant benchmark due to its comprehensive features and intuitive design, particularly for someone with ADHD like myself. However, the journey for the perfect app continues due to Metriport’s limitations and the lack of updates following its pivot to API development.

Metriport excels with its wide variety of health metric templates, customizable tracking, Google Fit integration, personalized health insights, effortless data entry, and sophisticated data correlation analysis.

• Despite its strengths, Metriport falls short in several key areas:
    • Direct Fitbit integration for real-time syncing.
    • Specific location tracking, particularly for monitoring time spent at work.
    • Seamless calorie syncing to reduce manual data entry.
    • Continuous app support and feature updates.

Apps I have tried that are similar and reasons I don’t quite like them

Lyfe: Ineffective for me due to its complete lack of automatic data syncing from health apps.

Best Life: Nearly aligns with my needs but falls short in graph interaction and metric comparison. It tracks locations but not to the specificity I require and doesn’t sync water intake, which is key for my hydration tracking.

Exist.io: Lacks the intuitive feel and comprehensive features that I enjoy in Metriport, making it unsuitable, especially behind a paywall.

Track Anything: Fails to track health data seamlessly from Fitbit, Google Fit, or smartwatch apps, requiring manual data entry.

Lili Health Tracker: Unusable due to persistent crashes upon syncing with Fitbit, so I haven’t been able to fully evaluate it.

• The transition from app development to focusing on an API has been notably disappointing. Metriport’s last update on July 6th, 2022, marked the beginning of a stagnation period, just six months after its promising launch on December 15th, 2021.
  • The hiatus left Fitbit syncing unfinished and many anticipated features on the roadmap unaddressed. This shift occurred roughly one year and one month after the app’s debut, leading to concerns about the future of Metriport’s app development. And around I’d say January or February of last year. They mentioned the start of their API and moving away from the app, which means that really about a year and one or 2 months or so. Right now The app is in a state of it’s good enough for most people and what they’d use it for, but for people like myself that desire more it’s disappointing

The quest for a health tracking app that not only encompasses Metriport’s existing functionalities but also introduces the desired enhancements continues. An ideal app would seamlessly integrate with a wider range of health devices, provide specific location tracking, and offer real-time data syncing, all within a continuously supported platform.

The hope is that developers will recognize the gap left by Metriport and introduce an app that caters to the nuanced needs of individuals seeking to manage their health meticulously. As Metriport’s development remains paused, the search for an app that can truly support health tracking, especially for those with ADHD trying to manage or improve their health, becomes more critical.

Ps. Something that I forgot to mention is that I have a Google pixel 8 pro and a Google pixel watch. 2. Meaning any iOS apps are Of zero use to me and mentioning them is a waste of your time and I’d rather not. Have you guys waste any of your time.

Also this is my last resort as I’ve used Reddit and posted on quantified self but have not gotten any results in finding the app that I’m looking for. I’m hoping you guys can impress me possibly finding or someone creating the app that I am looking for

1 Like

I’m developing a flexible tracking app called Flex Log. To reach complete feature parity with all the parts of these existing apps is a lot of work, but I’m steadily checking features off of the list and pushing out a new update every week or two (currently working on a google sheets integration).

I’m looking for feedback from people like you as I prioritize which features to add next. If you’re looking to heavily influence the feature set I’d love to chat. Feel free to DM me if you’re interested:

iOS: ‎Flex Log on the App Store
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.flexlog.mobile

It doesn’t sync with Fitbit at all, unless I’m wrong.

Not currently, but it’s definitely a feature I plan to add. How would you like your Fitbit data to be used within the app? Where does the Fitbit app fall short that you’re looking to improve?

If you were to pick one, would you say it’s more important for the app you’re looking for to analyze / visualize the data you’re already collecting, or to help you collect data that is not automatically tracked by your other health tracking tools?

Look at metriport try that app out look at my original post too

Id say analyze the data using ai from like Fitbit or whatever else, primarily the best would be to use Google health connect

I also want to be able to like track location like specific location like my drive location when I get there and one ice leave and it just attracts that

Then another thing is being able to compare said Data similar to metriport If you can make your app as close to what that app already does then you have a solid app but then adding in the ability to get information from but load of apps using health connect will be brilliant!

I too used Metriport until development stalled. Had high hopes for that app.

About a year ago I changed to a fork of the Nomie app by Ronald de Lange (https://www.dailynomie.com/).

It already had very nice features like the ability to have several dashboards with different widgets types:

In the meantime, this fork received an amazing update (among others) to enable API calls. So if you are tech-savvy you can automatically log into Nomie from different source with simple scripts. For example, I use it to sync data from Garmin.

Ronald itself used the API calls to make an app for the Apple Watch (⌚️ APPLE WATCH):

As you can see, the app is very flexible. Be warned, though, it is a PWA.

I did too. The company said they would go back to work on the app but to me I feel like them going and moving to an API only made it to where the app was put into a permanent state of. It’s good enough to work for a lot of people, but for people that want specific things like what they had on the road map which included adding Fitbit connectivity just never happened

Like the reason I haven’t been able to find anything is just nothing can be metriport at all and it’s a decent app that works for me is someone with ADHD

I’m not that tech savvy into being able to have things from other things sync like Fitbit and all that and that’s kind of why I was looking for an app that could just do all of that stuff out of the box

Because like I said and my other reply is metriport China fills all the boxes except for I would have to say at least 10 or 20% of what I’m looking for because it does everything that I want except for calories, location and sinking information from Fitbit. Everything else it does beautifully but it’s time consuming to add in my calories everyday myself cuz I have a backlog that I would have to add in and it would take a lot of time to do that. I just don’t want to do

Have a look at Guava - they sync with Fitbit etc, and support custom data entry.

Hurry up, before they decide to pivot, too :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s close but doesn’t show the effects or correlation of things like metriport does a little confusing to me

Like what I’m saying is it’s not as easy to understand the information the way I can with metriport

After spending more time with Guava, I’ve found it to be quite close to what I’m looking for in a health app. It syncs effortlessly with Fitbit, which I appreciate, and the custom data entry is robust. I’m particularly impressed by the interactive graphs and the AI’s ability to provide personalized insights based on my activity, medication, and health goals. It’s a nuanced tool that offers more than just data tracking; it’s helping me understand the correlations between my habits and health in a meaningful way.

I’ve relayed some of my thoughts to the Guava team, suggesting enhancements like seamless calorie syncing, which would eliminate the need to manually enter data I’m already tracking in another app. Moreover, the app’s reliance on an internet connection for certain features is a limitation I’ve noticed, particularly when I’m in areas with poor connectivity.

Despite these minor points, the depth of analytics and the prospect of integrating location-based tracking for more contextual health advice show Guava’s potential. I’ve even committed to the yearly premium based on the utility I’ve found in the AI features. It’s not perfect yet, but it’s on the cusp of being the comprehensive health companion I need.