Seeking automatic weight scale for medical use

Problem: Chronically ill patients need to monitor their weight accurately daily, but many cannot handle a standard body scale such as Withings. So there is a need for an automatic, fool-proof system that measures the body weight for example when using the toilet in the morning. Any tips on such systems?

I agree and not just weight. BP and HR are more important. Would be very interested in whatever you find out. Marc See http://istep.ifmefector.com/2013/04/09/intelligent-toilet-monitors-your-health/

In this case, I have identified a need for measuring weight daily, accurately and consistently. It needs to be automatic and extremely easy to use even for very old and sick people, so preferrably no user interaction. The Japanese super-toilet is very interesting for other user scenarios, but way to complex and expensive for this application.
I am not locked into connecting the scale with the toilet, open for any other solution. But most people go to the bathroom first thing after rising from the bed, so that could be a good location, also you usually don’t have clothes on then.
Ideally the scale would also identify the user somehow, I have heard stories of patients that got wifi-scales in their homes and they then get irrelevant readings from friends using them…
Another potential solution is of course scales under the bed, such as the BedScales product that was mentioned here in 2013, but it seems to have died? Is there any other similar solution out there?

If accuracy matters, the measurement should be done at about the same time every day, and without any clothing. Passive measurements such as sensors under the floor or bed can give estimates, but are easily confounded: Even if only one person is sleeping in a bed, they might use a heavier blanket when it gets cold, or they might decide to read Garry Larson’s “The Complete Far Side” while sitting on the toilet…

The Withings scale doesn’t require any interaction, other than stepping on it and standing still for a few seconds. The scale doesn’t have any trouble distinguishing multiple users (and pets), as long as their weights aren’t too close. There is some setup (create an account, connect the scale to the network etc), and the batteries need to replaced after a year or so.

A bit off topic, but since Henrik and and Eric are in this conversation already… We’ve been talking about creating (or making a kit for) an open scale that replaces the PCB with one that allows you do anything you want with the data, and control the screen, also if you want to try out ideas about communication about weight. I know this isn’t a big seller - :slight_smile: but perhaps a service to researchers and anybody who wants to have a bit more control and try out new approaches. Is this too crazy and obscure?

1 Like

QS DIY kits could be a great educational tool!

I suspect that researchers who are interested in collecting body weight measurements will prefer more “validated” off-the-shelf tools, even if the algorithms are proprietary (see Fitabase), and that most of the researchers who are building their own hardware don’t need the help?

If I could design my own weight scale, there wouldn’t be a readout other than a “measurement OK” indicator, since knowing my weight at the instant doesn’t seem very useful.

Thanks for commenting Eric. I like the “measurement ok” idea. We were thinking as a default the display would only show the numbers (or a graphical representation) of a 10 day moving average. And if there weren’t 10 measurements to average, it would just say “come back and measure again after tomorrow” or something.

1 Like