Sleep Apnea Treatments

[font=Trebuchet MS]Hi Folks,
Forgive give me if I am going to far off the mission of this blog. I would like to set up a thread to discuss Sleep Apnea Treatments in general and specifically, treatments for Central Sleep Apnea.

I have been struggling with CSA for many years; conventional BiPAP autoSV machines are no longer working out for me. I am looking into getting a diaphragmatic pacemaker. They have been around for years used for patients that cannot breathe on their own, such as ALS suffers, but now 2 companies (that I know of) make the devices for Central Sleep Apnea patients.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices ?
[/font]
Is there interest in discussing Sleep Apnea machines ?

If you do not get much of a relpy try the following forum:

CPAPTALK.com

It is a very good forum dedicated to CPAP users. and has helped me a lot.

personally it took me about 9 months of struggle to defeat centrals. I basically had to try cpap and fail, bipat and fail. (part of the problem was that most of my centrals were late in the sleep cycle. the sleep studies always woke me up early.) Anyhow I got a home sleep study that verified the centrals that the RESMED cpap and bipap were recording but could do nothing about…

Both CPAP and BIPAP can keep an airway open, but they can not breath for you.

Anyhow after there was an official study that showed the centrals, I was finally prescribed an ASV auto (Auto Servo Ventilator.) This machine actually breathes for you when you do not. (during a central)

My AHI on cpap and bipap only got down to 10 and 95% of them were centrals.

On the ASV my AHI is 0.0 most of the time. Past month my AHI was 0.45 (which was 5 events over a 10 hour noght). My average for the month is 0.14 according to sleepy head…. That is less than 2 events per night……

So…… try cpaptalk.com.

But I would try to get an ASV machine prescribed first…… It has done wonders for me.

Hi Wilson,

I have done many cycles of the procedures you described. I got my first AutoSV machineback in 2008. I used a full face mask, my farhead used to get big blisters and bleed. Overtime the autoSV was less effective, earlier this year it got to the point where I felt worse with the machine on, so finally said I had enough !

I did research and came up with the Avery diaphragm pacemaker.

I am scheduled to fly from my home town in Florida to New York City next week to meet with the surgeon who implants the diaphragm pacemakers.
I am praying that this works out for me, if not I am going to just let nature take its way and surcome to the CSA.

-Fred

I wish you luck.

there may be more people who will make comments on teh CPAPTALK forum. Not pressing you, but if you are looking for input I think that you may find it there.

I have been lucky, I have a soft cloth mask and the ASV is dealing with my centrals.

I hope it helps you, I know how bad it feels when you do not sleep well.

let me know how it works out.

I do not get to this forum all of the time, but if you update this thread I will get an email and come look.

Sleep apnea disorder cause harm on our life. Though there are various treatments out there from moderate-to-severe sleep apnea, but CPAP machine remain a standard. However, many people like you don’t want to wear a mask equipped in CPAP which delivers air at normal rate to keep airways open. Hence they are ready to try pacemakers which are implanted just under the chest’s skin and gets signals from a sensor for the person to inhale. Both the devices you can easily bought from ilexmedical.com or from local drug store, but it’s crucial to take doctor’s advice before using them. Never make a decision without doctor’s opinion as they are related to your health.

Anyone interested in QS for apnea patients, check the program SleepyHead: :idea:
[u]SleepyHead download[/u]. When you have questions,please contact me! Also in six other languages: Chinese, French, Spanish, Swedish, German and Dutch!!!
More info on [u]Apnea Board[/u]

I dont know if this will help you, but according to researchers, there’s a large-scale clinical trial now offers hope, proving that a drug that uses a synthetic version of the main psychoactive substance in cannabis is effective for treating the disorder. The drug is called dronabinol, and it is based on a synthetic version of Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — the main psychoactive compound responsible for the “high” in cannabis use. Like this article about a marijuana strain from blimburnseeds.com/news/marijuana/steep-hill-the-worlds-first-marijuana-testing-laboratory/. Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don’t even smoke. Alternatively, they’ve also found new ways to infuse cannabis on food and beverages. If this is true I can’t find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

That’s pretty interesting on the dronabinol. I wonder if the effects are any better than regular THC or the more-easily-available oleamide: